Places to visit in Hua Hin

Hua Hin general discussion, observations and chat. Hua Hin topics that don't really fit anywhere else.
SPONSORS: BLÚPORT Hua Hin
Big Boy

Re: Places to visit in Hua Hin

Post by Big Boy » Wed Sep 13, 2017 7:10 am

The simple answer is that I don't know. The hotel is in what I would call the central area. The area where I've seen the langurs is at the Northern end of the air base, and it it where there are troops barracked, aircraft and other military vehicles are stored. This is the area where you have to give up your ID to access. This is Thailand, so I'm sure anything is possible, and they will help you if they can.

Maybe some of our golfing fraternity can advise if the langurs frequent the golf course, because that area would almost certainly be accessible.

Regarding your cheapo go-pro camera that you have purchased to film them. I have a go-pro, but wouldn't dream of trying to film the elephants with it, although it might be great for filming the drive through the national park in the back of the safari truck. It will make a decent(ish) movie of the general scene if the langars are back, but if it's anything like my go pro, it will be useless for close-ups. I'm the last person to be advising on cameras, but I'd suggest you buy something cheap, with decent optical (not digital) zoom.
League 1 - Bury...0 Plymouth Argyle....0 :dance: :dance:
Points 5; Position 23

Big Boy

Post by Big Boy » Wed Sep 13, 2017 8:35 am

If you're looking for friendly monkeys, the gibbons (I think) at Cha-Am Forest Park are friendly, and will come over to sit with you.
Points 5; Position 23

MDMK

Post by MDMK » Wed Sep 13, 2017 2:39 pm

Ok thanks Bigboy, we'll play it by ear regards the langurs.

I will read (properly this time) your report on Cha-Am forest park. I just love the idea of friendly monkeys.

And you're right re the action-cam thingy. Tried it out last night and while it works very well close up (will be good for the langurs I think) it couldn't catch with any detail the dog a man was walking across from my house, no more than 10 meters away. You could see he had something on a lead, but that was it. A big grey white blob on a lead being walked by a bigger vague blob. Whereas close up with my cat playing around it was better footage than I can make with my phone (granted tho I am rubbish with mobile phones).

Thanks again !

hhinner
Ace
Ace

Post by hhinner » Wed Sep 13, 2017 6:24 pm

If you're going to be in Prachuab on a weekend you might like to take in the beachfront night market held on Friday and Saturday evenings.

Big Boy

Post by Big Boy » Wed Sep 13, 2017 6:39 pm

Yes, and there is an old photo thread on varios markets as well http://www.huahinforum.com/viewtopic.php?f=1&t=26056
Points 5; Position 23

MDMK

Post by MDMK » Wed Sep 13, 2017 9:37 pm

I love markets so will definitely check out the Prachuab weekend one. Thank you hhinner.

Bigboy, the market thread I copied in full for the last holiday, it was my "go to" doc for the whole holiday. Just read back through it and we (or at least I) went to all but one of the markets on it (skipped the Memory market). Pae Mai was my favourite, not that I actually bought much there, but it was just so fascinating. It so helped having the day time/night time views from the pics (made finding things so much easier)

If I am not taking this thread too far off topic, does any recommend the Saturday evening "old town/walking street" market in Pranburi?

Thanks again, it's all very much appreciated.

Big Boy

Post by Big Boy » Wed Sep 13, 2017 10:04 pm

Pae Mae has had a recent upgrade, and is even better now.

I've only ever heard good things about the Pranburi market, but have never been yet.
Points 5; Position 23