Weather in Hua Hin & Thailand

Hua Hin general discussion, observations and chat. Hua Hin topics that don't really fit anywhere else.
LolaBeltran
Professional
Professional

Re: Weather in Hua Hin & Thailand

Post by LolaBeltran »

I have been checking the weather forcast via the "widget" over there on the right under the Exchange rate table. I have noticed for several days now that nothing matches what I am seeing outside my window. "Heavy showers" . . and I see sun. "Sunny" and I am seeing drizzle. Right now .. click on it and you will see the forecast for 6 degrees currently with 4 degrees and "fair" for overnight. A quick scan of the following days shows temps down to 0 degrees and a random selection of possibilities from "Toprical" (sic) storm one day to "Sunny" the next, then another "Heavy Showers" the next day then Sunny . . .seems like an unusual pattern there . . .who does these anyway?

NOTE: as I was writing this, someone (?) caught the 6 degree & 0 degree forecasts for Hua Hin and now things are closer to reality. Still curious why things were so far off there
m_right
Guru
Guru

Post by m_right »

"Religion is What Keeps the Poor from Murdering the Rich" -- Napoleon Bonaparte
STEVE G
Hero
Hero

Post by STEVE G »

The only upside to this weather is that the cold makes one of my Thai dogs do a brilliant impression of Scooby-Doo seeing a ghost, although I'm not sure he appreciates the joke!
handdrummer
Addict
Addict

Post by handdrummer »

STEVE G wrote: Thu Dec 28, 2017 12:41 pm The only upside to this weather is that the cold makes one of my Thai dogs do a brilliant impression of Scooby-Doo seeing a ghost, although I'm not sure he appreciates the joke!
The upside for me is that I haven't used the air conditioner for a week, I can finally wear different clothes, walk outside during the day and feel that I don't live in the jungle.
STEVE G
Hero
Hero

Post by STEVE G »

I don't mind the temperature, I was fixing airplanes in the snow a week ago but I'm getting a bit bored with this almost constant light rain.
PeteC

Post by PeteC »

There are a few articles today saying the cold will last through next Tuesday, Jan 2, with temps dropping about 4c more than they are now. This statement included the Bangkok area and surrounding provinces. Pete :cheers:
Governments are instituted among Men, deriving their just powers from the consent of the governed. Source
Nereus
Hero
Hero

Post by Nereus »

Yes, there is a huge high pressure area(1054 mbars / 31.12" ) over western China that is causing a cold northerly air stream from the freezing cold / snow areas.
May you be in heaven half an hour before the devil know`s you`re dead!
Big Boy

Post by Big Boy »

PeteC wrote: Fri Dec 29, 2017 1:18 pm There are a few articles today saying the cold will last through next Tuesday, Jan 2, with temps dropping about 4c more than they are now. This statement included the Bangkok area and surrounding provinces. Pete :cheers:
Surely not :cry: . I've just returned to warm weather clothing today.
Championship Plymouth Argyle 0 - 1 Preston NE :cry: :cry: :cry: :cry:

Points 41; Position 18
PeteC

Post by PeteC »

I've been out cutting grass and raking leaves the past 3 hours and I could feel it getting colder. So, it appears to be dropping here in the east this afternoon. Not as cold as before Christmas, but enough of a chill with no shirt on and sweating. Pete
Governments are instituted among Men, deriving their just powers from the consent of the governed. Source
Nereus
Hero
Hero

Post by Nereus »

I've been out cutting grass and raking leaves the past 3 hours...................
Do you have a work permit to cover that? :rasta:
May you be in heaven half an hour before the devil know`s you`re dead!
PET
Legend
Legend

Post by PET »

Fantastic weather this past year- perhaps there are benefits to climate change in some regions?
Courage is grace under pressure and when circumstances change you change your mind.
PeteC

Post by PeteC »

‘La Nina’ weather in 2018 increases likelihood of major flooding
January 07, 2018 01:00 By PRATCH RUJIVANAROM
THE NATION http://www.nationmultimedia.com/detail/ ... l/30335576

Similar weather conditions to those that occurred during the nation’s second most severe flooding in 1995 is predicted for this year, according to weather experts. They are warning that an expected “La Nina” condition will bring more rain and storms than usual to Thailand, and that increasingly extreme and unpredictable weather should be expected as a result of climate change.

Prominent water and climate change experts interviewed by The Nation agreed that Thailand will receive larger amount of precipitation than usual due to the influence of the La Nina phase of the El Nino Southern Oscillation (ENSO), which is expected during this year. They also agreed that this year’s water situation was expected to resemble that of 1995.

The year 1995 was one of the wettest years in recent Thai history. As a result of various storms during that year’s rainy season, Bangkok and other provinces in the Central Region suffered from heavy floods for more than two months. The severity of the 1995 flood was only eclipsed by the major flood of 2011.

Thailand Global Warming Academy president Thanawat Jarupongsakul, who is also a lecturer in the Department of Geology at Chulalongkorn University, said that this year would be overly wet due to La Nina. The rainy season is also expected to come sooner than usual and with more precipitation, he added.

“This year will be a La Nina year, which means our region will receive more rain. As of now, we still expect that this year’s La Nina will be a mild one, which is good news, because if the La Nina condition is strong, we may face a severe water situation similar to 1995 or even worse, like 2011,” Thanawat said.

According to the official long-term prediction of the Meteorological Department’s Climate Centre, the ENSO condition will be a mild La Nina during the first three months of this year but the condition is predicted to return to a neutral stage by the end of March.

He also expressed concern about storms that will approach Thailand during the course of this year, which may directly hit Bangkok and cause major floods.

“Bangkok is not safe from a major storm and it is possible for our capital to be hit with a big storm, so we should be prepared for such a worst-case scenario,” he said. “It was widely speculated that many major floods in Bangkok in the past were the result of storms that hit the area around Bangkok.”

He stressed that as a result of climate change, people around the world would face more extreme and unpredictable weather, with more severe droughts and floods both expected.

The Utokapat Foundation’s secretary-general, Royol Chitradon, also agreed that this year’s weather condition would resemble that of 1995 and warned that this year’s rainy season would come earlier and last longer than usual.

“The weather condition for this year will be wetter than last year due to La Nina, but I am confident of our improved water management system and believe that the new National Water Resources Management Office will be able to handle the water crisis effectively,” Royol said.

“We have more water management tools and better organised water management policy, so despite [expectations that] this year’s water situation may be serious, I am sure that everything will be under control.”

Paiboon Nuannin, a prominent seismologist from Prince of Songkhla University, weighed in regarding large earthquakes with a magnitude larger than 7 on the Richter scale. Judging by the experience of 2017, he said, more frequent large earthquakes are being predicted during 2018.

“From the records of big earthquakes last year, we can see that there were only seven big earthquakes occurring, which is only half of the average of 15 big earthquakes per year,” Paiboon said.

“From earthquake statistics, [we know that] the year with less frequent big earthquake will normally be followed by a year with more frequent big earthquakes, so it is possible that there will be more earthquakes this year.”

However, he urged Thai people not to get too concerned about this possibility, as Thailand is situated in relatively safe location from the perspective of experiencing big earthquakes, which normally occur in the subduction zone.
redzonerocker
Rock Star
Rock Star

Post by redzonerocker »

PeteC wrote: Sun Jan 07, 2018 5:34 am Similar weather conditions to those that occurred during the nation’s second most severe flooding in 1995 is predicted for this year, according to weather experts. They are warning that an expected “La Nina” condition will bring more rain and storms than usual to Thailand, and that increasingly extreme and unpredictable weather should be expected as a result of climate change.

Prominent water and climate change experts interviewed by The Nation agreed that Thailand will receive larger amount of precipitation than usual due to the influence of the La Nina phase of the El Nino Southern Oscillation (ENSO), which is expected during this year. They also agreed that this year’s water situation was expected to resemble that of 1995.
Better start preparing then . . . . . for a severe drought and possibly a hosepipe ban :thumb: :laugh:

These so called weather experts can't predict the weather a week in advance, never mind 6 months!!!! :roll:
Remember, no one can make you feel inferior without your consent.
404cameljockey
Ace
Ace

Post by 404cameljockey »

I hope they're wrong. When I read stuff like this I don't think about my pool chemicals, or my gutters, windows or even roof leaking, My mind immediately goes to all the dirt-poor families whose shack may be under 5 feet of water some time this year. I know it happens every year, but still. :(
PET
Legend
Legend

Post by PET »

redzonerocker wrote: Sun Jan 07, 2018 6:40 am
Better start preparing then . . . . . for a severe drought and possibly a hosepipe ban :thumb: :laugh:

These so called weather experts can't predict the weather a week in advance, never mind 6 months!!!! :roll:
Well RedZ we shall remember this statement. El Nino is not to be joked about and when known, predictions are not so difficult to make.
Last edited by PeteC on Sun Jan 07, 2018 8:24 am, edited 1 time in total.
Reason: Repair quote
Courage is grace under pressure and when circumstances change you change your mind.