Central Department Store in Hua Hin?

Hua Hin general discussion, observations and chat. Hua Hin topics that don't really fit anywhere else.
hhfarang
Hero
Hero

Central Department Store in Hua Hin?

Post by hhfarang »

The latest rumor running around in the Thai community here is that Central has bought land just past the school heading south at the edge of Hua Hin. We may finally get a real department store here. That's walking distance of my house and BaaBaa's! :D :D :D
My brain is like an Internet browser; 12 tabs are open and 5 of them are not responding, there's a GIF playing in an endless loop,... and where is that annoying music coming from?
T.I.G.R.
Guru
Guru

Re: Central Department Store in Hua Hin?

Post by T.I.G.R. »

It'll have to be within walking distance if much more traffic floods that area HH..........
JimmyGreaves
Legend
Legend

Post by JimmyGreaves »

Nice one, keep sending the traffic south and keep the north side nice and quiet :-)

Used to take me 30 mins to reach the airport from soi 102 when I lived there a year or so ago, 6 years ago it was a breeze, index seemed along way out of town, in the sticks infact!
Diplomacy is the ability to tell a man to go to hell so that he looks forward to making the trip
The understudy
Ace
Ace

Post by The understudy »

Hi there Hhfarang and Y'all on HHAD

if the rumours are real then it would be a boost for he entire Area and I would think with the new proposed Bullettrain Project all the way down to Padang Besar. Cha Am, Hua Hin & Pranburi and across the Rim Bang Saen, Pattaya & Rayong would be an hours or less ride to Bangas making it a subburb by the sea. So it's vital for Central Dept. Store to buy up land while it's relatively cheap for future Devellopments! But I don't think the project would be breaking any ground soon as Central is currently buiding a Shopping Center in Surat Thani slated for opening 3rd Qtr. Of 2011!

Your's The understudy!!!
In Love with Hua Hin since 19naughty9 and it ain't fading!!!
(My fable for All Things Japanese knows no boundaries!) Proud Student of Stamford University Hua Hin Campus from 1999 to 2004 (5th Batch of Graduates.)
“Once you survive Stamford U Hua Hin Campus only you can survive anything!!!”
hhfarang
Hero
Hero

Post by hhfarang »

Understudy, I suspected as much. I heard that Foodland bought land on Nebkahardt Road four years ago and that Big C bought land on Phetkasem also south of the flyover (opposite side from the Central rumor) two years ago. Maybe all the big retailers are just hedging their bets before land prices get too high.
My brain is like an Internet browser; 12 tabs are open and 5 of them are not responding, there's a GIF playing in an endless loop,... and where is that annoying music coming from?
STEVE G
Hero
Hero

Post by STEVE G »

That's walking distance of my house and BaaBaa's!
You can have it; I hate shopping!
JimmyGreaves
Legend
Legend

Post by JimmyGreaves »

STEVE G wrote:
That's walking distance of my house and BaaBaa's!
You can have it; I hate shopping!
Snap!
Diplomacy is the ability to tell a man to go to hell so that he looks forward to making the trip
hhfarang
Hero
Hero

Post by hhfarang »

So, JimmyG, SteveG, and TIGR; I take it you guys either don't wear clothing, you are the same size as a Thai man, or you are out of the Hua Hin area often enough to clothe yourself.

The one thing I think has been still lacking since Market Village opened is a department store with a decent selection of clothing for a westerner. I find that at Central in Bangkok. The ladies will like a Central too (refer to the bikini thread). :wink: :D :D :D
T.I.G.R.
Guru
Guru

Post by T.I.G.R. »

Yup.....I'm an L or XL after a life of being the smallest guy everywhere!! I like it.
STEVE G
Hero
Hero

Post by STEVE G »

So, JimmyG, SteveG, and TIGR; I take it you guys either don't wear clothing, you are the same size as a Thai man, or you are out of the Hua Hin area often enough to clothe yourself.
To be honest I've always used the old shopping mall in the centre of town when my partner forces me to go shopping and have always managed to find what we need.
I've only been to Market village a couple of times because I can't be bothered with the traffic and car park, whereas we can go to the old mall in twenty minutes on the bike and park right outside the door.
BaaBaa.
Addict
Addict

Post by BaaBaa. »

hhfarang wrote:The latest rumor running around in the Thai community here is that Central has bought land just past the school heading south at the edge of Hua Hin. We may finally get a real department store here. That's walking distance of my house and BaaBaa's! :D :D :D
Excellent news if true, we didn't have anything in walking distance not so long ago, now we've got a Restaurant, a Bar, a 7-11 and hopefully a Central.

:cheers:
JimmyGreaves
Legend
Legend

Post by JimmyGreaves »

hhfarang wrote:So, JimmyG, SteveG, and TIGR; I take it you guys either don't wear clothing, you are the same size as a Thai man, or you are out of the Hua Hin area often enough to clothe yourself.

The one thing I think has been still lacking since Market Village opened is a department store with a decent selection of clothing for a westerner. I find that at Central in Bangkok. The ladies will like a Central too (refer to the bikini thread). :wink: :D :D :D
Must say I don't buy clothes much whilst here, the missus does that for me. Shorts/flip flops/Short sleeves shirts will last me long time, I go back to the UK a couple of times a year. I really do hate shopping and if I have to go for something I will go as the doors open or when they are about to close. Less customers to dodge and more time with staff. Happy that all the traffic is south of town also.
dozer
Ace
Ace

Post by dozer »

There has been talk for quite some time now of a Robinson department store, similar set-up to the one in Ratchaburi, so if that is the case we will get TOPS supermarket also. Let’s wait and see
STEVE G
Hero
Hero

Post by STEVE G »

Must say I don't buy clothes much whilst here, the missus does that for me.....
One of the great things about being English, over forty and straight is that you don't have to worry too much about "fashion"!
hhfarang
Hero
Hero

Post by hhfarang »

It's not fashion, but size that's the problem. I don't have the luxury of shopping abroad as a lot of part timers here do. I haven't left Thailand in over five years and the sizes at the shops I've been to in Hua Hin are geared towards Thais. XXL (Thai) = XL (Western), XL = L (Large western), L = M (Medium western), etc. Being around six feet and 190 pounds it's difficult to find shops that have clothing that is big enough. I've recently lost 30 pounds so it is not as bad as it used to be as now I can wear most XXLs here and a few XLs, but before I lost weight there was nothing in Hua Hin that fit.

I hate shopping too. In the U.S. once I found a brand and size I liked, I would just order replacements from the internet, but that's not easy here either.