Black Mountain water park project

Hua Hin general discussion, observations and chat. Hua Hin topics that don't really fit anywhere else.
hhfarang
Hero
Hero

Re: Black Mountain water park project

Post by hhfarang »

Since he has spent over a Billion baht (according to a Swedish friend who knows him personally) here on the golf courses, clubhouse, real estate projects around the course and the water park, I would think he would have no problem owning the property. You could own the entire country if you have enough money. It's just corruption on a very large scale. Enough money makes laws invalid.
My brain is like an Internet browser; 12 tabs are open and 5 of them are not responding, there's a GIF playing in an endless loop,... and where is that annoying music coming from?
Frank La Rue
Guru
Guru

Black Mountain Water Park

Post by Frank La Rue »

We spent 3 days in Hua Hin last week over the public holiday. We escaped the traffic by traveling from Bangkok by car Wednesday morning the 29th and returned Saturday night to avoid same.

On a side note - we stopped for breakfast /early lunch at a road side restaurant in Samut Songkram which wifey knew of from her sister but had never tried. I just checked, she claims it is pselled Keng Nam. It was actulally very good and highly recommendable for a stop driving from Bangkok southwards.

Anyway, I thought it could be of interest to some sharing our experience at the Black Mountain Waterpark. I would think some of you local residents with kids have allready been there but here it goes:

I had wanted to do the drive from Pranburi to Cha Am by car as I have actually never done the entire strech, just parts of it whenever we have been looking at Moo baans over on the west side of HH.
So we came up from Pranuri and I noticed that the valley itself between the gentle sloping hills on both sides is wider than I anticipated. It has a friendly, welcoming feel to it, it is a very beautiful area to drive within.

I had read about the Water park on the Internet allready last year and seen pictures too. As fart as I can recall I came accross reference to it whilst browsing youtube for Black MOuntain Golf Course and found the link to the Waterpark.
The direction was well sign posted along the motorway so we did the corresponding U - turn required and came back along the motorway in the opposite direction, turned to the left and followed the county lane. I made a mental note that Baan Ing Phu also was sign posted as located in the area. We came arround a bend, found Black Mountain Resort on the left and the Waterpark on the right.
It belongs to the story that my wife got seriously interested when she saw that there is an International School facility under construction next to the Black Moutain Development, it interested her enough for us to go and look at the houses after we had spent time at the Water Park.
As it was a public holliday there were many people, but also ample parking space. There also is a buss service from Town Centre to the Water Park. This was signposted at the park but I did not see any sign in HH town. Presumably there is but I did not pay attention to where it town it leaves as I had not thought of posting this at the time, but checking out the homepage it leaves from the Hua Hin Clock Tower:

http://www.blackmountainwaterpark.com/

I paid 600 Baht per adult and 300 Baht for our son, so 1500 Baht in total. It's not cheap for Thai cost level. There is a measure on the wall next to the counter where you pay, if I understand it correctly you pay a lower amount if the child is less than 110 cm.

Once inside, we went to the locker room to change. For a locker the staff wanted me to pay an additional 200 Baht. As I found the entrance fee expensive enough I made a point of not paying, I felt it could have been included in the entrance fee. Maybe cheap charlie, but that was my intuitive reaction. I had my son's swiming trunks and mine rolled up in a towel from the hotel, so we just reversed by rolling our shorts and 2 t shirts into the towel. My wife had brought her swimming costume but true to her regional, thai culture she does not really fancy running arround in it in public so in the end she did not swim.
My son and I jumped into the nearest pool, the one with all the sliders. Son was on overdrive and ran up the stairs to get his first slide for the day. He picked a tunnel - one. I tried the pink one next to his and having little experience with such I have to say the slide was pretty damn steep and not well suited if you wear glasses, as I do.

On a side note- there are ample number of employees/guards guiding you and showing you what to do. A guard at the entry to the slide on the 2nd level showed me how to position my arms and brace myself sliding down. The issue with my glasses was not so much during the slide but when I exited and my body shot into the pool water. Not dangerous really, you just need to be aware to hold on th your glasses if you wear any

My son and I then noted that there is a room under the slides full of helmets for people to wear and also inflated plastic rings for people to sit on/in sliding down.

My only point here is that the guard had not pointed this out to us and let us go on the slide without. I think the idea to provide people with head gear is excellent and there were more than enough helmets for the number of visitors. there.
We grabbed a doubble Ring, i.e. for two people and ascended to the very highest slide. My son wanted to go it allone but I did not feel comfprtable with that. The slides commence somewhat 20 meters up on the 4th floor and albeith the slides highest up do not seem to have steep decline they are very long.

In the end we did these slides with the double ring plenty of times, it was great fun. There is a food court in the centre of the park but I had suggested we should try the Bubble - i.e the resort restaurant at Baan Ing Phu. It seems you buy food stamps at the counter when you enter and pay with these, at least that is sign posted there. I cannot therefore report on the cost, quality and choice of food.

However. after changing we visited the local store, a pair of swimming trunks for men would cost me 2650 Baht. I gathered I could find some at the local market for 300 so I did not buy any. The ones I have got are too long for my liking and soaks up too much water.

My wife ended up buying a T - shirt which she got 50%, so 300 Baht.

We did not get to try all there is but all in all I will go there again, possibly bring my sister - in - law's kids allong as well. It is great for kids and I enjoyed it too.

During this trip to Hua Hin something changed with my wife. For the first time she started to talk about living there and have our son in a Hua Hin - based international school. She knows I like Hua Hin and was never opposed to live there but always put in a counter point with regards to schooling for our son.

It is inbread in her childhood learning that the good schools for children are all in Bangkok. He sister moved to Bangkok with husband and kids in 2008 for this reason. All the three kids they have got go to schools the family considers "very good" for Thai circumstances.

This has untill now been a show stopper and I conceeded buying a townhouse allong Rama 2 for this reason, also conveniently close (10 mimnutes by car on back roads) from her sister.

I have always argued that there are primatry and secondary schools which are "good enough" in many parts of the world and would think so also with regards to schools in Hua Hin. I have not checked though. It is in my training that the choice of college and university is the important choice and have told her so.

Hence, after the visit to the Water Park my wife took the initiative to drive literally accross the road and into the Black Mountain Moo Baan, next to where the new school building is being errected.

Subsequently we drove along the road and took to the left until we arrived at the Baan Ing Phu. As it was a public holiday we were told by the guards that there were no one from sales there to show us arround, With hindsight I should have asked if the resturant was open allthough there were no one there to show us the resort, I would expect the restaurant to operate on a public holiday. It did not cross my mind at the time.

A torrential rain set in and we drowe down to the Silom Hotel accross from Market Village and ate in their restaurant. We have stayed in that hotel some years ago and found the restaurant having a wide offering of both thai and western food. Our son wanted Pizza, I wanted a steak and my wife wanted thai seafood.
I picked up on my wife's apparent interest for Black Mountain Resort and the international school being built.

It appears she has taken onboard that when we relocate to Thailand our son will be so western that he naturally belongs in an international school rather than the good, thai schools wife family would normally seek out.

She has also taken on that during the week the sister's kids and indeed the sister herself and husband are bussy so the time we all spend together is the weekend. This goes both ways as our son has a school schedule and home work to do wherever he goes, so his time is limited too.

Subsequently it has become a scenario for my wife to live in Hua Hin during the week, have our son in an international school there go to our town house in Bangkok over the weekend. The rest of her family is scattered around Tha Maka area in Kanchanaburi province. we see them on average twice a months. Driving from Hua Hin - Cha Am od from Bangkok does not make much of a difference.

So this trip has been s game changer. We went to the Floating Market the day after and tried to check out the new country club beeing built and advertized allong Soi 112, Mahasamutr. We drove the side road and could see the construction from above - it did not tell me much at the moment, just looks like they are building some artificial lake. There also seem to be several new Moo Baans under construction, black lotus, Bua and others.

Again. our trip that day was cut short by torrential rain so we returned to our hotel. We had not thought of it, but because of the religious holidays it had been hard to find vacant rooms, we ended op in the Regency Cha Am Beach resort, I think they had rooms as they are rerfurbishing their main pool, one of their restaurants and some work is going on allong their beach. It was OK though, they have several pools.

We checked out Chaumhaus development in Cha Am on the way home, I must say that is one of the best value - for - money houses I have seen, 9,5 Mio Baht for their type A - the largest one.

II plan to check out Palm Pool Villas next to Palm Hills golf course - they are new and look promissing as well.

Free flow of thoughts and rant - I hope some of it is of some use fore some of you.
One Day I'm gona die. I can live with that.
fft100
Professional
Professional

Post by fft100 »

Re. The water park,

1. Smaller than 110cm is free.

2. 200 baht for locker is a deposit (which it does say in english). You get the money back when you leave.

Sounds like you missed the wave pool and the floating walkways located in the wake pool (but accessed from the water park). The latter, which is new, is way more difficult and fun than it looks !
Frank La Rue
Guru
Guru

Post by Frank La Rue »

fft100 wrote:Re. The water park,

1. Smaller than 110cm is free. That was my understanding too but I was not shure so did not write. Thanks for confirming this. As the park is quite expensive for frequent outings it is useful info
2. 200 baht for locker is a deposit (which it does say in english). You get the money back when you leave.
Thanks for this clarification, that escaped me. Now others know.
Update, my wife who spoke to the staff at the locker desk now claims that they demand 200 as deposit but return only 100 Baht. She may have misunderstood and I don't try to win, just practical to know the facts. What's your take on this?

Sounds like you missed the wave pool and the floating walkways located in the wake pool (but accessed from the water park). The latter, which is new, is way more difficult and fun than it looks !

[/b] We stayed with the slides as my son loved them. As I said there are ample number of more things to do including trying out the food court for us to go back again. I'll see if I can make a report with pics next time.
I also saw there is a new water park opposite ( or thereabout) to theentrance to soi 112 . That's also on my list of things to do in order to compare the two and for its own fun. I think I saw a refference to it on this thread being suitable for younger children.
fft100
Professional
Professional

Post by fft100 »

Hi Frank,

We were last there 3 weeks ago, I had a locker and had the 200 baht returned.

BTW, The BM water park link you provided in your post says...

"There are changing rooms with locker facilities close to the park entrance.  Lockers are provided free of charge but do require a 200 Baht deposit for the magnetic keys that are safe to take into the water pools.  A towel rental service is available for 100 Baht. " ( you don't get the towel money back).
Frank La Rue
Guru
Guru

Post by Frank La Rue »

fft100 wrote:Hi Frank,

We were last there 3 weeks ago, I had a locker and had the 200 baht returned.

BTW, The BM water park link you provided in your post says...

"There are changing rooms with locker facilities close to the park entrance.  Lockers are provided free of charge but do require a 200 Baht deposit for the magnetic keys that are safe to take into the water pools.  A towel rental service is available for 100 Baht. " ( you don't get the towel money back).

LOL - as I said, my wife may have misunderstood. Thanks for the clarification!Now - do you like me, think thats its worth a revisit - particularly for the kids and for us guys playing with our kids?
Henry 14th
Guru
Guru

Black Mountain water park project

Post by Henry 14th »

How busy is this place at this time of year.

Have always been out off by the idea of going but I'm sure the little one would be in his element.
HHTel
Hero
Hero

Post by HHTel »

My family and visitors have been to both parks plus the one at Sorentini several times. All of them very good but the general feeling is the Vana Nava water park (opposite soi 114) knocks spots of the other two. It's more expensive at the gate but the food and drinks are a little cheaper. Not advisable to go at a weekend as it's very busy but in the weekdays it's pretty quiet.