Hua Hin Floating Market

Hua Hin general discussion, observations and chat. Hua Hin topics that don't really fit anywhere else.
TingTongJohn
Professional
Professional

Re: Sam Phan Nam Hua Hin Floating Market

Post by TingTongJohn »

Nereus wrote:
TingTongJohn wrote:
Your point is clear but I was trying to find out what people thought of the market and opinions and such if it was worthwhile on going and maybe some photos of their journey to either of them :| .
Sorry, if you want the report written in a language other than English, you should make that clear.
My regrets on some how you interupting that I wanted information in other dialects and languages then english. Unsure how this was misconstrued for you to rationalize that information on the HUa HIn market must be formatted in non english terms. I will be more careful in posting from this point onwards so these unseemly misunderstanding do not happen again.

TTJ
One word is not a story but it is the beginning and end of one.
fft100
Professional
Professional

Re: Hua Hin Floating Market

Post by fft100 »

quite bizarre.

Just driven in the Wat Mong Kol area, and another floating market is being built. They are also making the road wider - a lot wider. Its getting like buses !

p.s. animal lovers should not look at the goats in the second flaoting market (where they have the train). They are emaciated. The 20 baht bottles of milk they sell to feed them are about 25% of the size they were 6 months ago.
Takiap
Rock Star
Rock Star

Post by Takiap »

To be honest, I'm not sure why they're called floating markets in the first place. It's really just a collection of shops built land around a small lake. Nevertheless, I suppose it gives tourists something to do, and also provides the Bangkok crowd with an opportunity to act out their soap opera lives.

:cheers:
Don't try to impress me with your manner of dress cos a monkey himself is a monkey no less - cold fact
STEVE G
Hero
Hero

Post by STEVE G »

Just driven in the Wat Mong Kol area, and another floating market is being built.
I saw that a couple of weeks ago but seeing as how at the time car loads of Thais were queing up to get into the Wat, it occured to me that it probably makes more business sense having one there for them than stuck out on soi 112.
Big Boy

Post by Big Boy »

I've been indexing the various trip reports that we've made during the last 9 months, and have realised that none of the floating market photos found their way onto the forum. To rectify the situation, here are a few from

Sam Phan Nam Floating Market:

Turn left out of Hua Hin Floating Market onto Soi 112, and Hua Hin Sam Phan Nam Floating Market is signposted to the left, just a few hundred yards further up the road.

This market was built around an existing lake. There are many shops and restaurants selling Thai handicrafts and food. The lake supports ducks and black and white swans and there is a small train that will take you around the outside of the market. This market also has paddle boats to ride. There are also fishing boats as used in the Gulf of Thailand. There are also long tail speed boats that will take you around the lake.

This is by far the largest and most popular of Hua Hin's floating markets, which was completed around 2010. However, the wooden boardwalks are starting to fall into disrepair, and certain areas do not look suitable to handle the large weekend crowds.

There are sometimes live shows, where dancers appear to walk to the centre of the lake on an underwater stage.
20131102_145647.jpg
20131102_150119.jpg
20131102_150537.jpg
20131102_150715.jpg
DSC09954.jpg
DSC09958.jpg
DSC09959.jpg
DSC09972.jpg
Championship Plymouth Argyle 0 - 1 Preston NE :cry: :cry: :cry: :cry:

Points 41; Position 18
Big Boy

Post by Big Boy »

Huey Monkol Floating Market

Recently opened in mid-2013, one has to ask if this Floating Market is one too many for a small tourist town like Hua Hin.

Despite being ideally situated to attract the regular tour buses and other visitors to Wat Huey Mongkol this man made attraction has not yet taken off. The shops can be no more than 30% occupied, and provide a massive disappointment to the regular flow of visitors. The photographs show shop after shop with the shutters closed.

The construction of this market is much more substantial than it's 2 older rivals, and with concrete walkways, there is no fear of rotting floorboards. The entrance building/frontage is very grand.
DSC09984.jpg
DSC09985.jpg
DSC09986.jpg
20131103_102332.jpg
20131103_102429.jpg
20131103_102510.jpg
DSC09987.jpg
DSC09988.jpg
DSC09993.jpg

Points 41; Position 18
Big Boy

Post by Big Boy »

Hua Hin Floating Market

The Hua Hin Floating Market can be found a couple of miles up Soi 112 on the left hand side. You will see a small windmill just after the entrance. It was built around 2010 at about the same time as the separate but nearby Sam Phan Nam Floating Market. Originally this area was pineapple fields with no history of markets or water.

There are many shops on the banks of a small, meandering, man-made canal selling Thai handicrafts, Thai sweets and treats, and food and drinks. However, many of these shops are vacant these days. There is a small zoo with a few goats and sheep. There are places to take photographs and spend some time with the family. There are also paddle boats and Thai boats in which you can float in the canal.

There are several bridges crossing the canal, which make excellent viewing places.

Near to the entrance is a stage where local artists stage shows including traditional and moderm music and Thai dance. There is waterside seating where small boats will pull up to serve you food while you enjoy the show.
DSC09920.jpg
DSC09922.jpg
DSC09922.jpg (62.67 KiB) Viewed 1130 times
20131102_135226.jpg
20131102_135542.jpg
20131102_135616.jpg
DSC09927.jpg
DSC09927.jpg (69.7 KiB) Viewed 1130 times
DSC09930.jpg
DSC09932.jpg
DSC09939.jpg
DSC09941.jpg
DSC09947.jpg

Points 41; Position 18
Kitty
Rookie
Rookie

Post by Kitty »

Which floating market is worth visiting as a tourist?
Big Boy

Post by Big Boy »

IMHO the 'best' is Sam Phan Nam Floating Market.

Points 41; Position 18
STEVE G
Hero
Hero

Post by STEVE G »

Big Boy wrote:IMHO the 'best' is Sam Phan Nam Floating Market.
Yes, I was driving past the other one on 112 a couple of weeks ago and most of the stalls seemed to be closed, there were just a handful around the food court.
StevePIraq
Rock Star
Rock Star

Post by StevePIraq »

If it really comes down to it they are not floating markets at all, just market stalls around lakes, nothing different or more enticing than many markets in many other countries.
"Live everyday as if it were your last because someday you're going to be right." Muhammad Ali
Kitty
Rookie
Rookie

Post by Kitty »

StevePIraq wrote:If it really comes down to it they are not floating markets at all, just market stalls around lakes, nothing different or more enticing than many markets in many other countries.
Thanks for the reply . Looks like is better to visit the night markets then. Heard the best night market is cacida market
Big Boy

Post by Big Boy »

My Personal opinion is that Cicada is the worst of them all. OK, a decent food court, but designed for tourists - it is not really an authentic Thai market. It depends what you are looking for really.

The floating markets are totally man-made also.

Points 41; Position 18
europtimiste
Banned
Banned

Post by europtimiste »

NONE of them is worth a visit. Simply markets where you can buy a lot of useless stuff.
Kitty
Rookie
Rookie

Post by Kitty »

europtimiste wrote:NONE of them is worth a visit. Simply markets where you can buy a lot of useless stuff.