A cautionary tale - submerged rocks at Hua Hin beach

Hua Hin general discussion, observations and chat. Hua Hin topics that don't really fit anywhere else.
uncle tom
Ace
Ace

A cautionary tale - submerged rocks at Hua Hin beach

Post by uncle tom »

You know what Hua Hin mean? - the nurse said, as she doused me in iodine..

..it mean 'many rocks'

The doctor looked at me, casually, as he prepared to stitch my bleeding knee..

'You go swimming near Hilton?' Yes, I replied..

..'we see every day' - he said, before planting sutures into me without anaesthetic.

OK, I admit it, I normally get a 'bar tan' in HH - I rarely set foot on the beach, and didn't remember where the rocks are - and hell, they look like pussy cats on the photos - and the latest GF wanted to go to the beach..

But try getting sucked into an eddy at high tide..

..and if you think barnacles are rough on exposed rocks, try coming into contact when they're submerged and filter feeding - more like razor blades..

The bottom line is that the good news (depending on your point of view..) is that I escaped from the water. The bad news is that whilst doing so, I sustained over 200 cuts and scrapes, including a gash that took seven stiches, in the space of less than five minutes.

- Beware submerged rocks!
I may be drunk, Miss, but in the morning I shall be sober and you will still be ugly...
margaretcarnes
Rock Star
Rock Star

Re: A cautionary tale..

Post by margaretcarnes »

A very salutory tale Uncle Tom and one which hopefully people will take heed of. The main draw back to HH itself to me is the lack of either a good clean beach and seawater or the 'head rocks'. Together with seasonal jelly fish of course. So many visitors must think they are going to be able to swim safely year round, but it just isn't the case.
Get well soon!
A sprout is for life - not just for Christmas.
GLCQuantum
Rock Star
Rock Star

Post by GLCQuantum »

Yep I hear ya Uncle Tom....My word that sounds nasty.

I never go in the ocean near the Hilton anymore purely for this reason. The amount of times I have razor bladed my foot or seen others do so is silly. If you are sitting at that area for any length of time you are bound to see a lady being carried out of the water by her man (or the other way round :D ) with blood around her foot.

I'm surprised there aren't any warnings about the submerged rocks in the water....

Actually scrap that! I'm not surprised at all.

:cheers:
sateeb
Rock Star
Rock Star

Post by sateeb »

Exactly why I "hang out" on the beach area opposite Market Village near to the Verandah...no submerged rocks but too late to heal the scars on my stomach caused by the high tide "eddy suck" from 2 years ago!!
“Never argue with an idiot. They will only bring you down to their level and beat you with experience.”

― George Carlin
“The further a society drifts from the truth, the more it will hate those who speak it.” -George Orwell.
lomuamart

Post by lomuamart »

Actually, there is/are warnings signs. It/they are posted on the wall by The Hilton.
You've got to look for them, mind you. They don't exactly stand out.
PeteC

Post by PeteC »

GLCQuantum wrote:......I'm surprised there aren't any warnings about the submerged rocks in the water.... :cheers:
Is the problem directly off the beach the Hilton controls? If so, they are really obligated to warn their guests. Pete :cheers:
Governments are instituted among Men, deriving their just powers from the consent of the governed. Source
GLCQuantum
Rock Star
Rock Star

Re: A cautionary tale - submerged rocks at Hua Hin beach

Post by GLCQuantum »

Actually, there is/are warnings signs. It/they are posted on the wall by The Hilton.
You've got to look for them, mind you. They don't exactly stand out.
Well well well, pigs will fly.

Never noticed them myself.
Is the problem directly off the beach the Hilton controls? If so, they are really obligated to warn their guests.
Pretty much Pete. Maybe the first 50-100 meters or so from the Chinese Temple entrance is where I found it to be quite bad.

DTHH

Post by DTHH »

prcscct wrote:
GLCQuantum wrote:......I'm surprised there aren't any warnings about the submerged rocks in the water.... :cheers:
Is the problem directly off the beach the Hilton controls? If so, they are really obligated to warn their guests. Pete :cheers:

Sorry to hear of the OP's misfortune and hope you recover soon. However, not entirely surprised.
Similar seasonal problem here at Dusit Thani Hua Hin, 10 kilometres further north down the coastline, causes us to put up signage to warn our guests from August - November each year. Wording in English, German and Thai is as follows:

Due to seasonal tides, there are currently dangerous jellyfish and barnacles along the coastline.
We strongly advise against walking barefoot on the beach or swimming in the sea.

Aufgrund von saisonalbedingter Gezeiten gibt es derzeit gefaehrlich Quallen und Scharfe Muscheln entlang der Kueste. Wir empfehlen lhnen daher am Strand nicht barfuss zu laufen und nicht im Meer baden zu gehen.

รักษ์โลก รักษ์สิ่งแวดล้อม
หินเพลียง – ภาวะนิเวศน์ ซึ่งมักจะโผล่เหนือหาดทรายในฤดูฝน
กรุณาใส่รองเท้าเพื่อป้องกันหินเพลียง

In the interest of public safety, and as part of our corporate social responsibility, we really have no objections if anyone would like to use the wording, or similar, to make their own signage for their respective areas. :cheers:

Beware if you must venture into the sea between Cha-am and Hua Hin at this time of the year.
heartofmidlothian
Professional
Professional

Post by heartofmidlothian »

Seen so many people with cut feet and jellyfish stings. Jellyfish stings can be really painful and can scar you for life. Can't really understand why people want to go in the dirty water here - guess it is just an "I'm on holiday and I have no common sense thing".
GLCQuantum
Rock Star
Rock Star

Post by GLCQuantum »

For those that like to swim in the ocean...

For me the best place to swim in the area is the other side of Monkey Mountain. No hidden dangers AFAIK (Jellyfish not included), not loads of people and some very nice little restaurants which don't charge you through the roof.

BaaBaa.
Addict
Addict

Post by BaaBaa. »

GLCQuantum wrote:For those that like to swim in the ocean...

For me the best place to swim in the area is the other side of Monkey Mountain. No hidden dangers AFAIK (Jellyfish not included), not loads of people and some very nice little restaurants which don't charge you through the roof.

Shhhhhhhh!
GLCQuantum
Rock Star
Rock Star

Post by GLCQuantum »

Sorry Baa Baa.

What was I thinking?

Mods... please remove the post above Baa Baa's. I think there are some hidden innuendos in there which I find offensive. :wink:
charlesh
Ace
Ace

Post by charlesh »

Apart from the detritus coming out from the drains there is also a problem with broken glass. Why anyone wants to swim near there is beyond me. Yes GLC past monkey mt. down to Suanson and Kao tao - much better and safer option.
deepee
Guru
Guru

Post by deepee »

uncle tom,
A couple of years ago the Australian Govt Travelers guide was advising to be aware of such injuries caused in the waters of the Gulf of Thailand after some tourists contracted hepatitis A. Cuts from shellfish/coral were noted as a problem source. May be worth monitoring your health just in case you have been infected.
Complexity is so simply overrated
uncle tom
Ace
Ace

Post by uncle tom »

A couple of years ago the Australian Govt Travelers guide was advising to be aware of such injuries caused in the waters of the Gulf of Thailand after some tourists contracted hepatitis A
Thanks for the warning - however there doesn't seem to be much one can do about it after the event..
I may be drunk, Miss, but in the morning I shall be sober and you will still be ugly...