Hua Hin Bluport Mall news, events and updates

Hua Hin general discussion, observations and chat. Hua Hin topics that don't really fit anywhere else.
HHTel
Hero
Hero

Re: Hua Hin Bluport Mall news and updates

Post by HHTel »

The supermarket is 'Gourmet Market'. They are owned by the Mall Group (who are also a major shareholder in Bluport)
caller
Hero
Hero

Post by caller »

Dannie Boy wrote:Who is operating the supermarket, and do they stock any unique items you can't get elsewhere, or is it just a case of comparing prices?
It's the Mall's group own premier supermarket brand, called 'gourmet market'. I haven't really had a careful look around, but it seemed to me to be very similar to their stores in Emporium & Emquartier in Bkk, with the exception of cheeses and Spanish cured meats and freshly made take away meals, although fresh meat carved from the bone is available. But that's not cheap anywhere.

The beer selection goes way beyond what Tesco offers and is larger than villa markets.

Hua Hin Ham & Bacon are present so you can get UK style sausages, bacon and hams and I'm not aware of TOPs and VM offering much in that respect apart from the ultra expensive 'sloan' range.
Talk is cheap
handdrummer
Addict
Addict

Post by handdrummer »

first impression: LOUD, very LOUD: from the "music" piped into the parking structure, to the high-pitched, whiney, screaming voices of women into microphones to the "music" in the mall and the restaurants and the rest rooms and noise level of people trying to talk over all the noise, it's horrible. most of the restaurants don't have inside seating so you're inundated by noise. in the gourmet food market the music volume was so loud that I could sing along with chet baker's my funny valentine and couldn't hear myself. aside from that you'll probably never have to go to Bangkok again to shop, or any where else for that matter.
Big Boy

Post by Big Boy »

Dannie Boy wrote:Who is operating the supermarket, and do they stock any unique items you can't get elsewhere, or is it just a case of comparing prices?
I was disappointed with their imported veg section. The things I specifically looked for was parsnips and swede, products we often have trouble finding. Zilch.

IMHO no better than Tesco :cry: So it's still Makro or Villa Market on roast days.
Championship Stoke City 3 - 0 Plymouth Argyle :cry: :cry: :cry: :cry:

Points 48; Position 20
Dannie Boy
Hero
Hero

Post by Dannie Boy »

as I live on the north side of HH, it doesn't sound as though there is much of an attraction for us to visit, other than maybe the novelty of the first time and as I wont be back until the end of the month, I would guess it will be operating as normal by then.
Big Boy

Post by Big Boy »

I think it was quite normal yesterday. Definitely a place to leave to the Bangkokians on a weekend though.

Points 48; Position 20
StevePIraq
Rock Star
Rock Star

Post by StevePIraq »

Big Boy wrote:
I was disappointed with their imported veg section. The things I specifically looked for was parsnips and swede, products we often have trouble finding. Zilch.

IMHO no better than Tesco :cry: So it's still Makro or Villa Market on roast days.
You get parsnip and swede at all open markets, maybe they are a Thai variety but much the same as far as I am concerned
"Live everyday as if it were your last because someday you're going to be right." Muhammad Ali
Big Boy

Post by Big Boy »

Really? Do you have photos please? Swede at 450 Baht/Kilo at Villa Market is no joke.

Funny, but Thais who eat Swede and Parsnips at our house are usually tasting them for the first time - maybe its down to the way they're cooked.

Points 48; Position 20
StevePIraq
Rock Star
Rock Star

Post by StevePIraq »

No photos but we buy the Thai equivalent, like I said maybe it is not the exact same vegetable but for me it is close enough
"Live everyday as if it were your last because someday you're going to be right." Muhammad Ali
lomuamart

Post by lomuamart »

I walk the beach regularly from the town centre to Khao takieb and was dreading coming past Blueport by songthaew for the first time on my way back.
Did so today at about 10.45am and there was no queuing, nothing going in. In fact, the traffic into MV was heavier (although it didn't amount to much either).
I was pleasantly surprised, although it remains to be seen what it's like at the weekends.
PeteC

Post by PeteC »

Big Boy wrote:Really? Do you have photos please? Swede at 450 Baht/Kilo at Villa Market is no joke.

Funny, but Thais who eat Swede and Parsnips at our house are usually tasting them for the first time - maybe its down to the way they're cooked.
I had to look up what you were talking about......"It's also known as yellow turnip, Swedish turnip and Russian turnip and, in America, rutabaga.....In Scotland, where it is known as neeps"............. Pete :cheers:

http://www.bbcgoodfood.com/glossary/swede
Governments are instituted among Men, deriving their just powers from the consent of the governed. Source
Farang
Ace
Ace

Post by Farang »

Is the sonic torture an ongoing concern at BP or just a temporary hell during the opening ceremonies?

Experiences, anyone?
"There's no plausible or convincing reason, certainly no evidential one, to believe that there is such an entity (= deity) and that all observable phenomena, including the cosmological ones... are explicable without the hypothesis; you don't need the assumption."
caller
Hero
Hero

Post by caller »

I popped into Bluport yesterday at about 5.30 and there were no queues going in, but the car park was still full and it was very busy inside. I was showing friends from the UK around after returning from PKK and they were loving it, they had already visited the day before..

I agree the place is too noisy though, much louder than at any other store I have visited, including the companies other stores in Bkk and Korat. Hopefully they'll sort that out in due course and all the 'marching parades' will stop. .
Talk is cheap
Big Boy

Post by Big Boy »

StevePIraq wrote:No photos but we buy the Thai equivalent, like I said maybe it is not the exact same vegetable but for me it is close enough
Could you take a quick photo and post it please? Swede is one of my favourite foods, and if there's an alternative, I'd really like to try it.

Points 48; Position 20
Big Boy

Post by Big Boy »

Farang wrote:Is the sonic torture an ongoing concern at BP or just a temporary hell during the opening ceremonies?

Experiences, anyone?
I was there until midday yesterday, and I was regularly checking my sound monitor app. It was averaging about 78 decibels, which was not uncomfortable. It felt much quieter than the day before. The car parking area was worse with its disco sounds.
caller wrote:in due course and all the 'marching parades' will stop. .
I didn't see any yesterday, but I left by midday. Are you saying they started again?
caller wrote:I popped into Bluport yesterday at about 5.30 and there were no queues going in, but the car park was still full
I'm going to try the cinema tonight. It would be rude not to with their BUY 1 GET 1 vouchers. I'm hoping that I can get parked.

Points 48; Position 20