What's the name of soi between Bintabaht & Selekam

Hua Hin general discussion, observations and chat. Hua Hin topics that don't really fit anywhere else.
Lee1975
Professional
Professional

What's the name of soi between Bintabaht & Selekam

Post by Lee1975 »

Anyone know the name of the Soi that runs between Binthabat & Selekam?
The Soi with Capones, Tiger Bar & Nungs, Elephant bar etc.

Cant seem to find it on any maps. Maybe it hasn't got a name?!?!?!

Cheers
Lee
The only things I regret are the things I didn't do
blue05
Guru
Guru

Re: What's the name of Soi????

Post by blue05 »

spoke to the guy tha owns capones and he doesnt know, so maybe soi with no name
Gus
Guru
Guru

Re: What's the name of soi between Bintabaht & Selekam

Post by Gus »

When I stayed at JNB they gave me a business card with the name 'Soi Serekam' on it.
margaretcarnes
Rock Star
Rock Star

Post by margaretcarnes »

When Jailhouse One was down there - plus Nungs, U Turn and not much else - it was always referred to as Soi No Name.
Kurtz' dog at Jailhouse was called No Name - presumably after the Soi.
I think what's happened over the years is that people have got sick of it not having a proper name, and just started to refer to it as Selakem for want of anything better.
A sprout is for life - not just for Christmas.
Lee1975
Professional
Professional

Post by Lee1975 »

Thanks for your replies, i just chatted online with the Belgian owner of Tiger bar, and he says it has no name. TIT
The only things I regret are the things I didn't do
dozer
Ace
Ace

Post by dozer »

It is Soi Bumrungrad, there was a wooden sign at the corner of what is now Nat Bar,but that was removed when the Soi was widened and that's more than 20 years ago.
It was originally a very narrow Soi, no more than a pathway really and you couldn't get a 4 wheeled vehicle along it.
Atheists have no need of a god. Our lives are not based on fear or guilt. We are moral because we know it's right.

Never attribute to malice that which can be explained by stupidity. R J Hanlon
margaretcarnes
Rock Star
Rock Star

Post by margaretcarnes »

dozer wrote:It is Soi Bumrungrad, there was a wooden sign at the corner of what is now Nat Bar,but that was removed when the Soi was widened and that's more than 20 years ago.
It was originally a very narrow Soi, no more than a pathway really and you couldn't get a 4 wheeled vehicle along it.
Wow now that IS interesting! I never heard that before - and don't doubt you dozer. You may want to take that up with AWOL which I've just realised is showing Soi Sarakam as the name?

But this is so typical of HH - (and no doubt the whole of the LOS) that records, particularly historical ones, just don't seem to be important. Maybe it's the Sabai Sabai culture, but we even see different spellings on street signs at either ends of the sois, and that certainly isn't peculiar to HH.
We know that transliteration (is that the right word?) could be the reason for different spellings, but we've also lost track of a lot of HHs' more recent bar history as well - which isn't entirely the fault of the Thais there. Mai pen rai eh? :roll:
dozer
Ace
Ace

Post by dozer »

I can remember the Soi and the old wooden sign, but I could not remember the name, until a few years back when I asked my Father in Law.
As for why it was never replaced, I asked him again last night and he shrugged his shoulders and said mai roo...So yes it is mai pen rai.

My wife's family go, back generations in Hua Hin, my FiL who is in his 70's, has lived in that area all his life.
There are not many of the original families living in that area, most have rented out and moved, my wife's family moved out completely and rented out in the early 90's

My wife says she was around 14 when the work on the Soi was carried out, which would make around 1985, which sounds about right as I started visiting HH in 83 and move here in 87.

My Father in Law's short term memory is not so good, but his long term memory is pretty sharp has told me some fascinating stories.

Margaret what do you mean by AWOL?
Atheists have no need of a god. Our lives are not based on fear or guilt. We are moral because we know it's right.

Never attribute to malice that which can be explained by stupidity. R J Hanlon
Pagey
Legend
Legend

Post by Pagey »

Until Margaret wakes up :wink: , AWOL is a magazine/paper in HH that is available online and in most bars. Google AWOL Hua Hin. :thumb:
'If you didn't have a wasted youth you wasted your youth'

Man in pub circa 1987.
margaretcarnes
Rock Star
Rock Star

Post by margaretcarnes »

Thanks Pagey :wink: