A perspective on HH prices

Hua Hin general discussion, observations and chat. Hua Hin topics that don't really fit anywhere else.
Dr Mike
Guru
Guru

A perspective on HH prices

Post by Dr Mike »

I have taken a few weeks off from retirement to work at a hospital in Shanghai ,China. The prices here compared to HH are a real shock. Whearas you can get a really good English type breakfast in HH for 100-125b, the best I have found here was not nearly as good and was the equivalent of 550b. Food in Chinese restaurants is cheaper but still difficult to eat dinner for less than about 350b. The only good news is that beer,while not at HH prices is closer to BKK prices--pint of Tiger 185b, Guinness 300b. Of course here, those prices are regarded as normal and the ex-pats are generally very well paid.
buksida

Re: A perspective on HH prices

Post by buksida »

That doesn't really surprise me, Shanghai is a major city, all major cities are expensive.

If you want a real comparison try the Philippines, Vietnam or Cambodia for eating/drinking, tourist towns in Thailand can no longer be considered "cheap" when compared to other similar places in the region.
Who is the happier man, he who has braved the storm of life and lived or he who has stayed securely on shore and merely existed? - Hunter S Thompson
pharvey

Post by pharvey »

Prices in China as a whole have risen considerably over the past few years...... it is certainly not the "low cost center" as it once was!

Shanghai however has never been a particularly cheap place to visit. As buks quite rightly says, it's a major city, and like every other major city, prices are significantly higher. The considerable foreign presence in Shanghai does nothing to help the price hikes either.
"Hope is a good thing, maybe the best of things" - Yma o Hyd.
Winkie
Guru
Guru

Post by Winkie »

buksida wrote: If you want a real comparison try the Philippines, Vietnam or Cambodia for eating/drinking, tourist towns in Thailand can no longer be considered "cheap" when compared to other similar places in the region.
Thought I'd add my penny's worth as I am currently in the Philippines.

I'm here on a business trip, otgehter with some staff, and am staying in a Hotel in Alabang, just outside Manila, and working in a large International Factory located in a Laguna some 40 mins drive away.

Based on what I can see, and what I can gain from the local staff I am working with, it seems that, at the bottom of the scale, the prices here are higher than in Thailand (Bangkok or HH).

The factory I am working in has a subsidised canteen, and lunch costs the employees 100 Pesos, approx THB71. The locals seem to think that this is a very good price. I've been eating int eh same canteen for the last 2 days, and honestly the food sucks!

As a comparison, there is a factory that I work regularly in Bangpa-In, and I eat in their subsidised canteen and the price is THB18, and the meals are, well, basically OK.

As everyone knows, we can eat on the streets in HH or Bangkok for THB30-40 and have a very enjoyable meal (Bagnkok still has many Boat Noodle places selling a bowl of Kway Teow Reua (sp?) for THB15-20 (although many dinners will order 2 bowls). The locals here in Laguna tell me that the minimum you would pay on the streets would be about 80-85 Pesos, approx THB60-65

However, on a good note, Beer is priced well (sorry, I do remember thinking ooh that's cheap, when I ordered them, but for the life of me I cannot remember how much! Will try to remember tonight), and possibly so is slightly more 'up market food' food, I've eaten very well in a British Style Pub, with good authentic India Food at about 500 Pesos, approx THB360 for a large single curry dish and Pilau rice. But again, this is not easy to judge, you can have a good curry for less than this price in Thailand, and you can have a good curry for much more. But is was very good, and quite close to an English India curry (something that's not easy to find in Thailand), and it had real Basmati Rice.

Taxi prices are outrageous here. I have a team of 4 people here at present, including myself, most of us are quite experienced in this part of the Philippines.

Taxi from Airport to Hotel (a 40 minutes journey) ranges from Peso 1,500-2,500, approx THB 1,000-1,800. And booking a guy/car for all day, with several journies, probably totaling about 6 hours driving, has cost us Peso 8,000, approx THB 5,700

Here, I have myself plus a Thai National, plus 1 guy from Malaysia (JB) and 1 from Singapore. They all comment that food is more expensive than their home countries (except the Singaporean), and that Taxis are much much more expensive (including the Singaporean).

The hotel that we regularly use, currently charges Peso 6710 per night, approx THB4,800. This is in Alabang, which is not really a very picturesque or exciting place. If the same hotel were in Sukhumvit Road, they could surely charge no more than THB2,500-2,800 (and I'm sure the breakfast would be infinitely better).

I know that its very difficult to make direct comparisons, but I'd say we are all still doing OK in Thailand.

Others will surely disagree with my comments, as they will have equally valid facts and data that totally contradicts what I've posted here. But what I have stated is factual, accurate, and real time.

Flying back to Bangkok tomorrow. Really looking forward to eating something decent. Me and Philipino food do not get along well!
Only the crumbliest, flakiest Winkie....
buksida

Post by buksida »

Winkie wrote: Others will surely disagree with my comments, as they will have equally valid facts and data that totally contradicts what I've posted here.
Yep, I found most things in the Philippines, with the possible exception of higher-end western food cheaper than Thailand. Taxis are all bargain-able and once you do this they're about the same. Vietnam was a lot cheaper for drink but more expensive for food - accommodation was about the same.

We're also forgetting that HH, as a tourist town, will have a premium added to most items that you could probably get in other less known Thai towns for less.
Who is the happier man, he who has braved the storm of life and lived or he who has stayed securely on shore and merely existed? - Hunter S Thompson
JW
Rock Star
Rock Star

Post by JW »

Similar prices to golf clubs and normal bars/restaurants in Dubai - again they are all well paid and I guess property prices/rents are huge!
luckikong
Rookie
Rookie

Post by luckikong »

To be honest, most of Chinese are think of that Shanghai is a city that is also a high consumption of the city.

Rail passengers are surrounded by posters of wide-eyed supermodels, and larger-than-life billboards for the Zara and H&M clothing stores line the streets of Shanghai's upscale Pudong district.

Really shock me!
blue05
Guru
Guru

Post by blue05 »

luckikong wrote:To be honest, most of Chinese are think of that Shanghai is a city that is also a high consumption of the city.

Rail passengers are surrounded by posters of wide-eyed supermodels, and larger-than-life billboards for the Zara and H&M clothing stores line the streets of Shanghai's upscale Pudong district.

Really shock me!
cannot make any sense of this
margaretcarnes
Rock Star
Rock Star

Post by margaretcarnes »

blue05 wrote:
luckikong wrote:To be honest, most of Chinese are think of that Shanghai is a city that is also a high consumption of the city.

Really shock me!
cannot make any sense of this
I think he means that the Chinese consider Shanghai to be a high end consumer city. That said H&M isn't exactly a high end store.
A sprout is for life - not just for Christmas.