The new Venezia Shopping complex

Hua Hin general discussion, observations and chat. Hua Hin topics that don't really fit anywhere else.
sateeb
Rock Star
Rock Star

Re: The new Venezia Shopping complex

Post by sateeb »

Unlike Disneyland or Las Vegas then........
“Never argue with an idiot. They will only bring you down to their level and beat you with experience.”

― George Carlin
“The further a society drifts from the truth, the more it will hate those who speak it.” -George Orwell.
hhfarang
Hero
Hero

Post by hhfarang »

Incredibly tacky, especially the "canal" and "gondola". Who thought up that concept?
I'm guessing it was Italians... :P
My brain is like an Internet browser; 12 tabs are open and 5 of them are not responding, there's a GIF playing in an endless loop,... and where is that annoying music coming from?
LolaBeltran
Professional
Professional

Post by LolaBeltran »

Hans, it is not the concept that is at fault here. Venice is universally considered to be one of the most beautiful cities on earth and the architects/ designers of our Venezia have done an excellent job at adapting Venetian architectural norms to this project. They did their homework. Even the streetlamps are correct.

If you have not visited, it is worth a look as the original quality of the design attention to detail and execution is still visible. It promised to be a really lovely version of Venice.

The problem, after all, is not Venetian architecture or the concept of having gondolas plying canals! The problem is the poor overall planning ( should it have been built there? should it have had a residential component etc) and the ridiculous changes made to earn a quick profit ( 50 baht charge, cheap food stalls, etc ).

"Tacky" is not yet the case here, although it is sadly headed that way. Hey, you want tacky, check out one of our sheep farms or perhaps that truly ugly GIANT restaurant next to Hin Nam.
perfectswing
Amateur
Amateur

Post by perfectswing »

Any information when Villa Market will shut down at 'The Venezia' ?
dtaai-maai
Hero
Hero

Post by dtaai-maai »

perfectswing wrote:Any information when Villa Market will shut down at 'The Venezia' ?
I wasn't aware it was going to. Hope not, we use it quite a lot! Where did you hear this?
This is the way
perfectswing
Amateur
Amateur

Post by perfectswing »

dtaai-maai wrote:
perfectswing wrote:Any information when Villa Market will shut down at 'The Venezia' ?
I wasn't aware it was going to. Hope not, we use it quite a lot! Where did you hear this?
It might be a rumour I was hoping someone could shed light on it. This rumour says they (VM) plan to move to an area close to Index on the main road. I agree with you dtaa-maai, it would be a shame. But I'm afraid there might be some truth on this rumour, when you look at the sales floor and the products in the shelves it's getting less and less. Some packed meat products (sausages, ham, etc.) are already gone and the dairy products are very much reduced. On the other hand it wouldn't surprise me, there are hardly any customers to see and if so they are just buying a few things which you really can't get anywhere else.
hhfarang
Hero
Hero

Post by hhfarang »

It works in Italy because of the climate... who the h@#l would think it would work in this hellish climate. Does anyone want to take a slow tour in a gondola in this heat, humidity, and sun... especially the target customers who are Bangkok Thais... totally stupid developers like most in this area.
My brain is like an Internet browser; 12 tabs are open and 5 of them are not responding, there's a GIF playing in an endless loop,... and where is that annoying music coming from?
hhinner
Rock Star
Rock Star

Post by hhinner »

Should have put a roof over the whole thing and installed aircon. It's not exactly a great daytime experience in the hot season or rainy season. Never been at night.
Dannie Boy
Hero
Hero

Post by Dannie Boy »

perfectswing wrote:
dtaai-maai wrote:
It might be a rumour I was hoping someone could shed light on it. This rumour says they (VM) plan to move to an area close to Index on the main road. I agree with you dtaa-maai, it would be a shame. But I'm afraid there might be some truth on this rumour, when you look at the sales floor and the products in the shelves it's getting less and less. Some packed meat products (sausages, ham, etc.) are already gone and the dairy products are very much reduced. On the other hand it wouldn't surprise me, there are hardly any customers to see and if so they are just buying a few things which you really can't get anywhere else.
I rarely visit this complex but yesterday I needed to make a transaction at the Siam Bank so called in rather than try to park in HH. While we were there, decided to call in to VM and buy a few bits - not being a regular, I didn't notice the lack of anything specific as it looked fairly well stocked, but what was missing was customers - at 11am I only saw two other people in the shop, so it wouldn't surprise me if it closes.
gilped
Amateur
Amateur

Post by gilped »

I'm a regular at Venzia, or rather VM as I just stay across the road. It would seem to me that there's no chance of the place staying open and every time I'm there the staff are hanging around with little to do. I'm pretty sure there's not enough business going into the till. It's a shame about Venezia as they have a reasonable shopping mall there but apart from the weekend there's nobody there. I think they screwed up charging to get in and it's put a lot of Thais and expats off going there and there's nothing worth paying to see.
migrant
Addict
Addict

Post by migrant »

Isn't there a smaller Villa market elsewhere in HH? Hate to lose the only one in town!

We went to the Villa at Venezia and it was very nice, but I'm sure rents are crazy.
The proper function of man is to live, not to exist. I shall not waste my days in trying to prolong them. I shall use my time.
hhfarang
Hero
Hero

Post by hhfarang »

Don't worry Migrant, there has been a very nice Villa Market down town near the Grand Market for two or three years at least. I've been a regular customer from day 1... usually burn through at least 4k per month there. :oops:
Thistle
Professional
Professional

Post by Thistle »

Arrived at the Villa market in Venezia this morning,fully aware that it does not open until 10,00am now.At 10,15,doors not open,in fact the CLOSED sign still very visible.Eventually they opened the doors ,,,,,,,,,,only customers,and incredibly no staff,yes no staff.Wandered around looking for specific items,all of which were not on the shelves,or available,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,not a check-out open,and apart from the chap who opened the sliding doors nobody else appeared whilst i was in the store.Wonder how long this can continue,especially as it was extremely well stocked,not just upon opening,but the weeks that followed.
Bristolian
Deceased
Deceased

Post by Bristolian »

Shopped at Villa this morning. The staff confirmed that this branch will close at the end of this month due to lack of custom. Staff will transfer to newly opened branch near Pure Mall.
"'The two most important days in your life are the day you are born and the day you find out why." - Mark Twain
Kitty
Rookie
Rookie

Post by Kitty »

Looks like this place is not worth visiting as a tourist