Market Village Nuisance Insurance/Charity salesmen

Hua Hin general discussion, observations and chat. Hua Hin topics that don't really fit anywhere else.
Gregjam
Ace
Ace

Market Village Nuisance Insurance/Charity salesmen

Post by Gregjam »

Without taking into account all of the other factors of a visit to Market Village I had always enjoyed being able to wander around without being bothered by salesmen. Am I alone in feeling that this is becoming more of an issue of late. Although they tend to bother Thai's more than Farang it now means my wife and family get the hassle. The main culprits for a while have been seeking funds for a charity although today there were also some promoting an insurance company. I am not uncharitable and donate funds to charities I have decided to give to. When in the UK I never objected to the Salvation Army or other occasional groups where collectors were volunteers looking for a one off donation but find it difficult to differentiate between a paid employee looking for you to spend money either on insurance or a charity. I assume they pay MV to be able to be there and their presence is very likely to reduce my custom as well, I imagine, as others who may be of a similar mind.

Am I just being mean and tight fisted or are there others who also find this annoying. Great that car parking is so much better now, great that I can stay dry from house to shopping centre (certainly keeps the wife happy), just frustrating that knowing I am going somewhere that is not the cheapest place to go and popular with the wife is becoming a place I have more reasons to avoid.
Takiap
Rock Star
Rock Star

Re: Market Village Nuisance Insurance/Charity salesmen

Post by Takiap »

I can't really comment on the problem you've encountered, but I tend to avoid MV as much as possible. The only reason I ever went there was for Tesco, but we now have a Makro near soi 6 which is a lot more convenient; more choice, and also quite a bit cheaper.

I went to Tesco the other day with my wife to buy a few things, and I was actually quite shocked at the prices. Not a massive difference, but I could have saved about 300 or 400 baht had we gone to Makro instead.

Saying that, I did at least get to sample a kebab, and while it is nothing like the kebabs I've had before, it was certainly good value for 65 baht, and a million times better than anything available at McD's or BK.

Hell, it even inspired me enough to make some chapati today which went down a treat with some mutton curry. :oops: :oops: :thumb:

:cheers:
Don't try to impress me with your manner of dress cos a monkey himself is a monkey no less - cold fact
Gregjam
Ace
Ace

Post by Gregjam »

I have never been to Makro despite it being easier to get to as I live this side of town. Do you need a card as in the UK or will get one just for turning up? Will certainly make a change.
Dannie Boy
Hero
Hero

Post by Dannie Boy »

Gregjam wrote:I have never been to Makro despite it being easier to get to as I live this side of town. Do you need a card as in the UK or will get one just for turning up? Will certainly make a change.
You do need a card but I believe they issue a temporary one on your first visit.
Homer
Rock Star
Rock Star

Post by Homer »

Gregjam wrote:... their presence is very likely to reduce my custom as well, I imagine, as others who may be of a similar mind.
Why not just ignore them? Don't look at them. Don't engage in any way. Eventually they'll give up. When the salesperson is too slow to go away*, I take off my hat and hold it between my face and his, such that we can no longer see each other - while continuing to ignore him. He gets the hint.

* Too slow can mean I see him approaching but he hasn't opened his mouth yet.
margaretcarnes
Rock Star
Rock Star

Post by margaretcarnes »

Gregjam wrote:Without taking into account all of the other factors of a visit to Market Village I had always enjoyed being able to wander around without being bothered by salesmen. Am I alone in feeling that this is becoming more of an issue of late. Although they tend to bother Thai's more than Farang it now means my wife and family get the hassle. The main culprits for a while have been seeking funds for a charity although today there were also some promoting an insurance company. I am not uncharitable and donate funds to charities I have decided to give to. When in the UK I never objected to the Salvation Army or other occasional groups where collectors were volunteers looking for a one off donation but find it difficult to differentiate between a paid employee looking for you to spend money either on insurance or a charity. I assume they pay MV to be able to be there and their presence is very likely to reduce my custom as well, I imagine, as others who may be of a similar mind.

Am I just being mean and tight fisted or are there others who also find this annoying. Great that car parking is so much better now, great that I can stay dry from house to shopping centre (certainly keeps the wife happy), just frustrating that knowing I am going somewhere that is not the cheapest place to go and popular with the wife is becoming a place I have more reasons to avoid.
I wish the charity collectors on the UK streets now WERE looking for one off donations. These days they are out on the streets and in the shopping centres every day, and wanting people to sign up for regular direct debits. They even want specific amounts of money, and often work in packs so they can spread across a pedestrian zone. It's actually a relief to encounter a Big Issue seller - at least you can have a sensible chat with most of them!
Then there's the others - energy suppliers etc. It's become a right pain in the butt and unfortunately it sounds as if Thailand is going the same way.
A sprout is for life - not just for Christmas.
lomuamart

Post by lomuamart »

Just say "mai au kap/ka" and keep walking and smiling. Easy.
As far as service is concerned, in HH, I'm finding it better and better. They just leave me alone but I don't go to the big markets.
PS I only encountered one beggar in the UK recently and that was whilst smoking a cigarette outside Heathrow. Again, I just said no to small change and there was no problem.
STEVE G
Hero
Hero

Post by STEVE G »

wish the charity collectors on the UK streets now WERE looking for one off donations. These days they are out on the streets and in the shopping centres every day, and wanting people to sign up for regular direct debits.
Yes the UK is terrible for that and I wonder why it's so different because I've rarely come across that kind of scrounging in Continental Europe.
PeteC

Post by PeteC »

STEVE G wrote:
wish the charity collectors on the UK streets now WERE looking for one off donations. These days they are out on the streets and in the shopping centres every day, and wanting people to sign up for regular direct debits.
Yes the UK is terrible for that and I wonder why it's so different because I've rarely come across that kind of scrounging in Continental Europe.
Could it all be a scam with these people pocketing the money?
Governments are instituted among Men, deriving their just powers from the consent of the governed. Source
Takiap
Rock Star
Rock Star

Post by Takiap »

Dannie Boy wrote:
Gregjam wrote:I have never been to Makro despite it being easier to get to as I live this side of town. Do you need a card as in the UK or will get one just for turning up? Will certainly make a change.
You do need a card but I believe they issue a temporary one on your first visit.

I've being shopping there ever since it opened, and I can guarantee you, you DO NOT need a card. :thumb:

Don't try to impress me with your manner of dress cos a monkey himself is a monkey no less - cold fact
Big Boy

Post by Big Boy »

Takiap wrote:I've being shopping there ever since it opened, and I can guarantee you, you DO NOT need a card. :thumb:

I can second that. Mrs BB waited for a 'cardless' friend one time, so that her friend could share hers. When Mrs BB tried to hand the card over, they didn't take it, and said a card wasn't necessary.
Championship Plymouth Argyle 1 - 0 Leicester City :dance: :dance: :dance: :dance:

Points 48; Position 18
Nereus
Hero
Hero

Post by Nereus »

Takiap wrote:
Dannie Boy wrote:
I've being shopping there ever since it opened, and I can guarantee you, you DO NOT need a card. :thumb: :cheers:
Correct. The only difference is, you do not get any discounts that card holders are offered.
May you be in heaven half an hour before the devil know`s you`re dead!
HHTel
Hero
Hero

Post by HHTel »

I've also been shopping there since it opened. I do have a card but I don't ever recall being offered any discounts. Tell me more.

Each check-out girl has her own card which she uses for non-card holders.
MrPlum
Banned
Banned

Post by MrPlum »

HHTel wrote:Each check-out girl has her own card which she uses for non-card holders.
This must be fairly new because I used to have to get a temporary card from the desk by the entrance.
prcscct wrote:Could it all be a scam with these people pocketing the money?
It was when I was last there. These gangs would pour into the high street, stick a can in front of your face, then claim it was for charity. Many were intimidating... 'Give me a quid and I'll stop looking at you like I'll slit your throat'.

I have gone past the guilt trip these days. I either ignore them until they go away or do as Lomu says.
Gregjam
Ace
Ace

Post by Gregjam »

At the moment it is the wife and family that get the hassle, I just play the ignorant Farang who speaks no Thai and continue walking without even being bothered.

Did the Makro thing today and her indoors liked it. Had to get a temporary number at the desk but no problems. This was when we were at the checkout so they may have stopped the girls having their own card and perhaps benefitting from all their purchases. Overall found it much better for the shop, cheaper, wider aisles and pretty much all we wanted.