Sea water quality in Hua Hin?

Hua Hin general discussion, observations and chat. Hua Hin topics that don't really fit anywhere else.
timdg

Sea water quality in Hua Hin?

Post by timdg »

are there any reliable source of information about the sea water quality on an average day in Hua Hin?

how OK is it for swimming?
hhfarang
Hero
Hero

Re: sea water

Post by hhfarang »

how OK is it for swimming?
I'm certainly not a reliable source... :wink: ... but from everything I've seen, read, and heard first hand from others, in a word "no". The water is not clear and there are many rocks underneath covered with razor sharp barnacles. Lots of serious cuts and ER visits, plus seasonally, stinging jellyfish are abundant. Add to that that there is no waste treatment plant here and sewage is dumped directly into the sea, and I wouldn't set foot in the water.
My brain is like an Internet browser; 12 tabs are open and 5 of them are not responding, there's a GIF playing in an endless loop,... and where is that annoying music coming from?
timdg

Re: Sea water quality in Hua Hin?

Post by timdg »

are there any plans to build a waste water treatment plan in near future?
Lung Per
Legend
Legend

Post by Lung Per »

timdg wrote:are there any plans to build a waste water treatment plan in near future?
Probably not in our lifetime. :(
A friend is only one click away
Chromeman
Professional
Professional

Post by Chromeman »

OK, so are there beaches/places close to Hua Hin that is clean enough to swim in?
richard
Deceased
Deceased

Post by richard »

Many bays and coves going south all the way to Ban Saphan
RICHARD OF LOXLEY

It’s none of my business what people say and think of me. I am what I am and do what I do. I expect nothing and accept everything. It makes life so much easier.
timdg

Post by timdg »

so there is not official monitoring of the sea water by local government(such as the people at the weather station) or the national government(for instance thai ministery of health..)
Big Boy

Post by Big Boy »

:lach:
Championship Plymouth Argyle 1 - 0 Leicester City :dance: :dance: :dance: :dance:

Points 48; Position 18
hhfarang
Hero
Hero

Post by hhfarang »

One laugher is not enough at that comment Big Boy... :lach: :lach: :lach: :lach: :lach: :lach:
My brain is like an Internet browser; 12 tabs are open and 5 of them are not responding, there's a GIF playing in an endless loop,... and where is that annoying music coming from?
Lung Per
Legend
Legend

Post by Lung Per »

Where may one buy a simple and inexpensive testing kit for E-coli ?

It is probably not (yet) a consumer item. They probably don't exist.

Here is a free business opportunity: Develop test strips like those used for testing for bacteria in urine. There's a great market worldwide for tourists going to foreign shores.

:thumb:
A friend is only one click away
Pacman
Amateur
Amateur

Post by Pacman »

I should notice everyone here that Wastewater Treatment Plant Hua Hin is located on Naeb Kaehad Rd., but I hope that in the future there will be more.
Crafack
Amateur
Amateur

Post by Crafack »

Lung Per wrote: Here is a free business opportunity: Develop test strips like those used for testing for bacteria in urine. There's a great market worldwide for tourists going to foreign shores.
Hi Per.

I can find you a fairly inexpensive(*) test kit, but it requires 16-24hrs for any results, and would require 3 physical components (sample tube, reagent and petri dish).

For now there are no available kits in the dip-and-compare category for e-coli. All available methodology (kit or lab) is in the grow-and-count-the-spots category.

A generic test for presence of bacteria would always yield a positive result in natural sea water.

/Crafack
timdg

Post by timdg »

thanks.

I have the impression that people who stay in Thailand (too) long often gave up on seeing solutions for problems, I understand they probably have been frustrated quite often. Thailand is indeed a hard country to get anything done. But improvements did happened the last 10 years(BTS, MRT and new airport in Bangkok), 30 bath health & 300 THB minimum wage program, a better highway to Hua Hin,... In Hua Hin the development of top international quality of hotels, supermarkets, golf courses,.. So myself, I am not that pessimistic about the future..
Joyce
Novice
Novice

Post by Joyce »

Sea water quality? Probably could be better but I've been going into the ocean everyday opposite Baan Sansaran, Chiva Som area for the past month & haven't seen a rock yet. There are a few dead jellyfishes that wash up that I have a hissy fit over but I'm slowly getting over myself. Lots of waves today, very windy which is cooling. Anyway. Haven't seen anything malefic yet. Schools of fishes can be still be seen. The Thais make a daily effort to clean up the beach & every day is different. Funny how the ocean is like that.

Cheers,

Joyce
blue05
Guru
Guru

Post by blue05 »

try dolphin bay, great for swimming