Sea water quality in Hua Hin?

Hua Hin general discussion, observations and chat. Hua Hin topics that don't really fit anywhere else.
JamesWest
Ace
Ace

Re: Sea water quality in Hua Hin?

Post by JamesWest »

m_right wrote:The water off Khao Takiab is infected with some sort of algae or bacteria which causes itching. Washing with fresh water or a shower takes care of it. Both yesterday and today I saw and talked to people exposed to it.
yes right after i went into the water there i started itching all over. the run off from the creek that feeds the fishing village is a very strange color and the ocean water south of the entrance to the breakwater is also a strange color.
I really like this forum because there are no personal attacks. All the members contribute in a positive way to my posts.
Name Taken
Suspended
Suspended

Post by Name Taken »

hhfarang wrote:I thought Suan Son Beach was the one on the Army compound south of Takiab and the Army golf course, and yes the quality is better both there and Cha-Am than Hua Hin. Unless a waste treatment facility has been built in the last few years that I haven't heard about, Hua Hin dumps waste directly into the sea at the north end of downtown. I used to stand above and watch the smelly waste water flowing freely from a large pipe directly into the sea... granted that was quite a few years ago so there could be some treatment now.
Maybe that's why Thailands coastal water is always yellowish brown.
I have come to the realization that the vast majority of Thai people really don't give a shit(no pun intended) about their environment/country, they just expect someone else to clean up their filthy mess or that it will just magically disappear on its own.
buksida

Post by buksida »

The water in the Gulf is yellowish brown due to the silt runoff from the Chao Praya river, if you've ever flown from Bangkok to Phuket you'll see the colour difference in water quite clearly. It clears up around Prachuap and is back to its natural blue/green from there on south.
Who is the happier man, he who has braved the storm of life and lived or he who has stayed securely on shore and merely existed? - Hunter S Thompson
Big Boy

Post by Big Boy »

I normally walk my dogs on the beach after dark to avoid confrontation with horses. However, a couple of days ago we had to do the walk during the afternoon. I've no idea what was flowing into the sea at the end of Soi 77, but it was turning the sea a strange shade of green for a couple of yards.
Championship Plymouth Argyle 1 - 0 Leicester City :dance: :dance: :dance: :dance:

Points 48; Position 18
Bamboo Grove

Post by Bamboo Grove »

The water in the Gulf is yellowish brown due to the silt runoff from the Chao Praya river
Also, I think, the Mae Klong river adds its fair share to this.
Name Taken
Suspended
Suspended

Post by Name Taken »

buksida wrote:The water in the Gulf is yellowish brown due to the silt runoff from the Chao Praya river, if you've ever flown from Bangkok to Phuket you'll see the colour difference in water quite clearly. It clears up around Prachuap and is back to its natural blue/green from there on south.
I know, you're right buksida. I was just joking and exaggerating about the water being yellowish brown.