Another ex-pat mugged on the Canal Rd after dark.

Hua Hin general discussion, observations and chat. Hua Hin topics that don't really fit anywhere else.
usual suspect
Ace
Ace

Another ex-pat mugged on the Canal Rd after dark.

Post by usual suspect »

I've just heard news of an attemped mugging within the last couple of nights down the notorious Klong Rd.
The good news is the police HAVE caught the 2 Thai men involved, & they are in custody..
The bad news is the poor ex-pat suffered a fair old knife-wound to his arm from 1 of the Thai men..the other assailant tried to attack, but got a hefty punch from the victim.. :cheers:
It turns out (if the story is correct) that under police interrogation the 2 muggers admitted to 3 other robbery-with-violence incidents that same night..!!
Well done HH MIB.. :thumb:
Plus speedy recovery to the poor ex-pat & his slashed arm. :(
blue05
Guru
Guru

Re: Another ex-pat mugged on the Canal Rd after dark.

Post by blue05 »

if you had ever seen thai police interrogation you would understand why so many people admit things quickly
Lung Per
Legend
Legend

Post by Lung Per »

blue05 wrote:if you had ever seen thai police interrogation you would understand why so many people admit things quickly
Also, they get their sentence cut in half if admitting to the crime.
A friend is only one click away
usual suspect
Ace
Ace

Post by usual suspect »

I talked to the man who got attacked last night..the police had told him the suspects were part of a larger gang 'operating' in the HH area..
... Please, please be aware of any motorcycles following close if/when you are travelling home at night.
The man involved here had his lady on the motorcycle also..& the attackers were not put off by this fact.
dvolante9

Post by dvolante9 »

God you would think that there would be no crime since the King is here now...thats awful does this also happen on Petchkasem?
Brit Jim
Professional
Professional

Post by Brit Jim »

US Thanks for the update.

I live off Canal Rd and these incidents do get a mention every now any again. The further West? you go past immigration
towards Cha Am it gets really remote.

Do you know where on Canal Rd this happened and I guess it was the early hours as always seems busy?

Cheers!
Takiap
Rock Star
Rock Star

Post by Takiap »

Taking a bit of a chance trying to mug someone while you and them are on moving bikes. After all, you would only have to give their bike a quick kick and they would be sure lose control of it.

For what it's worth, there were a small group of youngsters drag racing up and down the road near soi 6 again last night. They didn't appear to be bothering anyone though. I was just quite shocked to see that a few of them had their girlfriends on their bikes with them.

God help any little crap head that tries that with one of my daughters when they get older.

Anyway, hopefully this sort of thing won't happen too often, and good to know the MIB actually did do their job.

:cheers:
Don't try to impress me with your manner of dress cos a monkey himself is a monkey no less - cold fact
GLCQuantum
Rock Star
Rock Star

Post by GLCQuantum »

These twats are all around tourist areas of Thailand. This is not a solution, but it may help...

I would nearly always wear a full face helmet (as would my passenger) when riding so they wouldn't be able to see if I was a Westerner or not from first glance. That, of course, wasn't the main reason I'd wear one. You see, I actually like my head too and I want to keep it.

You may have a better chance of getting past them with a full face as they tend to target Westerners and also, should there be an attack, you have a better chance of living through it if you're knocked off.

Good job to the MIB for catching the dogs.

Takiap
Rock Star
Rock Star

Post by Takiap »

Here in soi 6 it seems like a group of teens show up once or twice every couple of months. It certainly isn't a nightly occurrence, and as I've said, they don't really seem to bother any one. They just race up and down the road doing wheelies and so on, but then again, that doesn't mean they don't get up to more serious tricks away from the well lit up and busier areas.

The problem here is, if they are under 18, I doubt the MIB can do much unless they are guilty of a crime such mugging. Street racing and etc is likely just going to end up with the MIB phoning their parents who in turn will no absolutely nothing rather than give them a good thrashing. :laugh: :laugh:

Don't try to impress me with your manner of dress cos a monkey himself is a monkey no less - cold fact
GLCQuantum
Rock Star
Rock Star

Post by GLCQuantum »

I was sitting at Tik's on soi 112 a few weekends ago having dinner with the family, and this non-stop onslaught of young lads went belting by, all with their girls on the back. Must have been 30-40 bikes in total. Absolutely flying down the road in a pack.

My mother turned to me and said, "I wonder how many of them will actually make it home alive tonight?"

In England, we ride bicycles at that age.
Name Taken
Suspended
Suspended

Post by Name Taken »

All of the tourist areas in Thailand have local gangs/mafia 'operating'. In Pattaya you have the Thai/Foreigner gangs etc. etc.
It's a shame.
Takiap
Rock Star
Rock Star

Post by Takiap »

GLCQuantum wrote:I was sitting at Tik's on soi 112 a few weekends ago having dinner with the family, and this non-stop onslaught of young lads went belting by, all with their girls on the back. Must have been 30-40 bikes in total. Absolutely flying down the road in a pack.

My mother turned to me and said, "I wonder how many of them will actually make it home alive tonight?"

In England, we ride bicycles at that age.

Yes, but in England they don't really trust Buddha as much as they do here. And besides, if your 12 year old boy wants to ride your new 50K motorbike, then he has every right to do so. To stop him would require you to be a parent and that is simply out of the question. As long as he or she drops to their knees once a year to wish you happy mother's day or happy father's day, then it's all good.

kendo
Rock Star
Rock Star

Post by kendo »

The title mafia or gangs i think are used far to often to describe groups of wayward teenagers ridding around in large groups, yes a lot of them are up to no good and think they are invincible but i think attacks on farangs late at night are more just opportunistic then an organized sting.

Wishing the man concerned a speedy recovery.

Kendo.
Is Bangkok a place or a nasty injury.......Eric Morcombe.

Proud to be a Southampton FC Fan.