Walking around Tourist area with a pushchair

Hua Hin general discussion, observations and chat. Hua Hin topics that don't really fit anywhere else.
Stargeezer
Professional
Professional

Re: Walking around Tourist area with a pushchair

Post by Stargeezer »

I guess this is why Thailand is still one of the developing countries and will be for the next 100 years or so.
If the Government tries to call it a developed country, then they should go and visit some real developed countries, with their own money of course. I still see places in North America that need to improve, but at least in the major cities, the sidewalks and store entry areas are designed for wheelchairs and push strollers etc.
I am glad that I can still walk around, and I certainly feel sorry for the families with small children, and the handicapped people that do come and visit Thailand.
Stargeezer
Pluto is my favorite planet!, especially now that we all can see close up
pictures of it.
Nereus
Hero
Hero

Post by Nereus »

usual suspect wrote:..........................that's right folks..no-one else matters..
There`s the reason right there. "Me first", or as it is called where I come from "the Jack Principle", or ***k you Jack, I`m alright! :cuss:

Another example of "Thai Democracy". :neener:
May you be in heaven half an hour before the devil know`s you`re dead!
Big Boy

Post by Big Boy »

In fairness to the Thais, the pushchair is a fairly new introduction to Thailand. I remember pushing my son around the streets of Bangkok over 20 years ago. Of course, I can't be sure if it was my good looks or the pushchair, but I was turning heads wherever we went. Many Thais were actually asking what it was, and others were asking if my son had a medical problem.

I also remember my eldest grand daughter when she first came to the UK about 12 years ago. She was terrified of using a pushchair in the beginning - loved it once she realised that it saved her using her legs for walking (like most Thai women :D).

It is only in the last 10 years that pushchairs have become popular here. Therefore, older infrastructure was never designed for these vehicles.
Championship Plymouth Argyle 1 - 0 Leicester City :dance: :dance: :dance: :dance:

Points 48; Position 18
hhfarang
Hero
Hero

Post by hhfarang »

^ Yeah, Thais carry their infants around on motorbikes, no push chair (or car seat or helmet) needed.
My brain is like an Internet browser; 12 tabs are open and 5 of them are not responding, there's a GIF playing in an endless loop,... and where is that annoying music coming from?
Takiap
Rock Star
Rock Star

Post by Takiap »

Exactly, but let's be honest here......it's probably safer being in the road on a motorbike than it is being in the road in a pushchair. :wink: :laugh:

Talking of wheelchair ramps........A friend of mine from Scotland once commented on a ramp leading up to a shop in Takiap, saying that it's awfully steep for someone in a wheelchair. Knowing better, I informed him that the ramp was actually there for people delivering stock such as crates of soda and etc. He immediately asked me, "so how does someone in a wheelchair get into the shop"?

"They carry on down the road until they find a shop they can access" said I. He was quite shocked at my reply until I explained that this is just how it is in Thailand. If you're not fit and able, then that is your and your family's problem. Harsh but true.

Also, as BB has pointed out, Thais generally don't use pushchairs. Wheelchairs also seem to be few and far between, and of those Thais who are confined to a wheelchair, how many of them actually make a point of travelling around the country? Can we really expect Thailand to change not only their sidewalks, but also their culture at this point in time? Don't forget, it's not only vendors that obstruct sidewalks and etc. Dodgy drains, sign posts, holes, uneven tiles/paving......all this would have to be addressed. This would also cost a fortune, in a country where the vast majority of people pay no tax. Besides, if the state starts spending too much money upgrading Hua-Hin, locals will soon be dubbed "the Hua-Hin elites" and half the country would hate the place and it's people just as much as they hate Bangkok. :wink:

:cheers:
Don't try to impress me with your manner of dress cos a monkey himself is a monkey no less - cold fact