101 tips and advice for visitors to Hua Hin

Hua Hin general discussion, observations and chat. Hua Hin topics that don't really fit anywhere else.
uncle tom
Ace
Ace

Re: 101 tips and advice for visitors to Hua Hin

Post by uncle tom »

Don't underestimate the complexity of Connect 4

Connect 4 (or simply 'Game' as the Thais normally refer to it as) is widely played in Thai bars. The objective is to get four of your counters in a line, vertically, horizontally or diagonally.

At first sight it appears to be a child's game that any adult with half a braincell can master in a instant. In reality it is far more complex than that, and some bar girls and flower sellers are very proficient.

It's an enjoyable game, - but expect to lose...
I may be drunk, Miss, but in the morning I shall be sober and you will still be ugly...
uncle tom
Ace
Ace

Post by uncle tom »

When playing cards or other games, the order of play is normally anticlockwise in Thailand.
I may be drunk, Miss, but in the morning I shall be sober and you will still be ugly...
uncle tom
Ace
Ace

Post by uncle tom »

When playing pool in Thailand, the 'ball in hand' rule normally applies.

That is to say that after a foul shot, your opponent is given the white ball, and is at liberty to place it anywhere on the table. However, he or she is only permitted a single shot.
Bristolian
Deceased
Deceased

Post by Bristolian »

uncle tom wrote:A situation not helped by ATMs only issuing 1000 baht notes.
Good advice for foreign visitors but if you have a Thai ATM card and you are not being charged per witdrawl, you can get smaller denominations from any ATM. If you enter 400 Baht, as the sum required, you will get 4 x 100 Baht notes. Or you can always add the hundreds of Baht to a larger ATM withdrawl.
"'The two most important days in your life are the day you are born and the day you find out why." - Mark Twain
Pleng
Legend
Legend

Post by Pleng »

Bristolian wrote:
uncle tom wrote:A situation not helped by ATMs only issuing 1000 baht notes.
Good advice for foreign visitors but if you have a Thai ATM card and you are not being charged per witdrawl, you can get smaller denominations from any ATM. If you enter 400 Baht, as the sum required, you will get 4 x 100 Baht notes. Or you can always add the hundreds of Baht to a larger ATM withdrawl.
Exactly. If I want (for example) 5000, I will either take 4,900 or 5,900 depending on the health of my balance at the time! This way I get a few thousand baht notes, a 500, and 4 100s (feel like I'm setting up a game of monopoly! :D)

To get to enter your own amount select "English" or "Languages-->English" at the ATM, then "Withdrawl" and then "Other". When you are prompted which account to withdraw from, select "Savings" (at least, all my UK Current accounts seem to be translated to Savings accounts when withdrawing here)
barrys
Legend
Legend

Post by barrys »

uncle tom wrote:When playing cards or other games, the order of play is normally anticlockwise in Thailand.
As gambling is illegal in Thailand, it would be better not to be caught playing cards.... :wink:
richard
Deceased
Deceased

Post by richard »

uncle tom wrote:When playing cards or other games, the order of play is normally anticlockwise in Thailand.
Thai rules can change in a game in order for them to win :laugh:
RICHARD OF LOXLEY

It’s none of my business what people say and think of me. I am what I am and do what I do. I expect nothing and accept everything. It makes life so much easier.
TingTongJohn
Professional
Professional

Post by TingTongJohn »

Anyone mention standing before a movie to honor the king??? If so then disregard this. :bow:
One word is not a story but it is the beginning and end of one.
TingTongJohn
Professional
Professional

Post by TingTongJohn »

uncle tom wrote:If you want to go in search of elephants, don't do so on a motorbike.

For reasons best known to the pachyderms themselves, they sometimes feel threatened by motorbikes, and there are periodic reports of them attacking and even killing motorcyclists.

If you're on two wheels, steer clear of them.

I did not know that..Thanks :bow:
One word is not a story but it is the beginning and end of one.
Pleng
Legend
Legend

Post by Pleng »

TingTongJohn wrote:Anyone mention standing before a movie to honor the king??? If so then disregard this. :bow:
Yea but wait for the national anthem to start playing first, otherwise you might get some funny looks :)
Big Boy

Post by Big Boy »

That applies to league football matches as well.
Championship Stoke City 3 - 0 Plymouth Argyle :cry: :cry: :cry: :cry:

Points 48; Position 20
uncle tom
Ace
Ace

Post by uncle tom »

Getting there....

94) If you enjoy some retail therapy, check out Market Village.

Located about 1km south of the centre of town, it is an air conditioned complex on several floors that is home to about 100 shops and restaurants, including many international chains.

Easiest way to get there is to catch the baht bus from the main traffic lights. The buses always stop at MV. Prepare to get off when the bus goes under a pedestrian footbridge, and don't forget to pay the driver 10 baht as you alight.
oakdale160
Rock Star
Rock Star

Post by oakdale160 »

Pleng, if any farang inThai is concerned about getting "funny looks they are definitely in the wrong place and might also be helped by psychotherapy.
uncle tom
Ace
Ace

Post by uncle tom »

95) When eating Thai food, it is impolite to put the fork in your mouth.

Only use the fork to put food into the spoon.
GLCQuantum
Rock Star
Rock Star

Post by GLCQuantum »

When using sticky rice with a shared dish of whatever, don't dip it in and use it as if it were a piece of bread mopping up gravy - many Thais would not be able to eat from the same dish after that.

A quick in and out dip is all that's needed.

On that same note - don't bite from a piece of 'pre-dipped' sticky rice in your hand (that was a little too big to be done in one go) and then go on and put the remaining, unbitten and most likely slobbered on bit that's left in your hand .. back into the sauce/dish! (uh huh... I've seen people do this :shock: ) .Take off a small mouthful of sticky rice at a time. :D