101 tips and advice for visitors to Hua Hin

Hua Hin general discussion, observations and chat. Hua Hin topics that don't really fit anywhere else.
GLCQuantum
Rock Star
Rock Star

Re: 101 tips and advice for visitors to Hua Hin

Post by GLCQuantum »

christopher1 wrote:^ The easiest way not to be mistaken, is to use the 24 hour system.

นาฬิกา Sounds like...Naligaa.

7 PM...Sip gow naligaa
11 PM...Yee sip saam naligaa etc...
Though absolutely correct, it sounds a little too formal if you are just chatting among Thai friends in a restaurant. Similar to...

"Yes, I will meet you tomorrow at eighteen hundred hours."

...but, as you say, much better to use it if you are not sure of the Thai time telling system. That said, while using it, try to learn how Thais usually tell the time. :D
GLCQuantum
Rock Star
Rock Star

Post by GLCQuantum »

uncle tom wrote:100) If you like the beach, try a day out at Khao Takiab

Take the baht bus south until it reaches its final destination, and pay the driver 10 baht. To your left is monkey mountain - note previous advice IRO monkeys.. - and to your right is a road that leads towards the beach, about a ten minute stroll.

The sea itself is safer and probably cleaner than at HH, and there is more sand and fewer people competing for it. Loungers and refreshments are available and are reasonably priced.
Why don't we just put a big feckin sign by the Hilton beach to let all the tourists know that there are other better ones.

I, personally, would rather tourists didn't swamp Khao Takiap like they do the Hilton area. My favourite spots in Hua Hin? - certainly not going to be posted on a forum. They're my favourite because they are quieter... I'm sure that goes for many long term expats.

:cheers:
richard
Deceased
Deceased

Post by richard »

Tend to agree GLCQ. Happens many times with beach locations, medical facilities and restaurants. Best to stay stum and confide in a select few IMO
RICHARD OF LOXLEY

It’s none of my business what people say and think of me. I am what I am and do what I do. I expect nothing and accept everything. It makes life so much easier.
uncle tom
Ace
Ace

Post by uncle tom »

Why don't we just put a big feckin sign by the Hilton beach to let all the tourists know that there are other better ones.
I think it's a fair call that 90% of the people on the beach at the Hilton have never heard of HHAD. Most probably don't know a single Thai word.

This thread was intended to help those who take the trouble to get a better insight into HH - not those who buy a package tour and arrive on an aircon coach, bulldozing its way down Naresdamri road to the Hilton..
I may be drunk, Miss, but in the morning I shall be sober and you will still be ugly...
Pleng
Legend
Legend

Post by Pleng »

uncle tom wrote:101) Thailand's political difficulties have caused no problems in Hua Hin.
Well... apart from the Bomb on the train tracks in Cha Am
dtaai-maai
Hero
Hero

Post by dtaai-maai »

What problems did that cause?
This is the way
Pleng
Legend
Legend

Post by Pleng »

The bomb *is* the problem!

Yes Hua Hin has generally been unaffected by the political issues but the bomb in Cha Am shows that we're not immune to being targeted if things escalate.
hhfarang
Hero
Hero

Post by hhfarang »

Don't moan on local forums... :wink:
My brain is like an Internet browser; 12 tabs are open and 5 of them are not responding, there's a GIF playing in an endless loop,... and where is that annoying music coming from?
uncle tom
Ace
Ace

Post by uncle tom »

Well... apart from the Bomb on the train tracks in Cha Am
Aside from the fact that Cha Am is not Hua Hin, this was a calculated move to stop train loads of Thai protesters travelling up from the south.

The speed with which the line was repaired, and the fact that no rolling stock was damaged, strongly suggested that Thai railways were forewarned.

As very few visitors to Hua Hin arrive by rail, the event had no noticeable impact on the town.
I may be drunk, Miss, but in the morning I shall be sober and you will still be ugly...
Pleng
Legend
Legend

Post by Pleng »

Well I don't want to get into a pissing contest over it, so I'll just repeat my answer to dtaai and add that many tourists who book a holiday in "Hua Hin" either, knowingly or not, stay in a hotel in Cha-Am. And regardless, I think the very next town is close enough in this context
Yes Hua Hin has generally been unaffected by the political issues but the bomb in Cha Am shows that we're not immune to being targeted if things escalate.
applec
Novice
Novice

Post by applec »

The vehicle inspection system ,you can have a look at.
uncle tom
Ace
Ace

Post by uncle tom »

The vehicle inspection system ,you can have a look at.

??
Stargeezer
Professional
Professional

Post by Stargeezer »

Tip: If you have a sweet tooth for twizzlers, or nibs, red or black licorice, or cinnamon
hearts or such. Consider bringing it from your country. I have not had good luck in finding
that sort of treat in Thailand. I was able to spend an afternoon at a beach south of Hua Hin
near the residence of the princess. Picture included. It was quite quiet and we enjoyed
a nice lunch there. The beach in front of the Hilton was good for a photo op and to show my wife the rocks there.
Attachments
Beach looking north
Beach looking north
phpbOHY7WPM.jpg (29.55 KiB) Viewed 877 times
Beach looking south
Beach looking south
phpFABtomPM.jpg (41.09 KiB) Viewed 877 times
Pluto is my favorite planet!, especially now that we all can see close up
pictures of it.
sateeb
Rock Star
Rock Star

Post by sateeb »

Loads of red and black licorice in Villa Market :cheers:
“Never argue with an idiot. They will only bring you down to their level and beat you with experience.”

― George Carlin
“The further a society drifts from the truth, the more it will hate those who speak it.” -George Orwell.
Bush-Hack
Amateur
Amateur

Post by Bush-Hack »

uncle tom wrote:When playing pool in Thailand, the 'ball in hand' rule normally applies.

That is to say that after a foul shot, your opponent is given the white ball, and is at liberty to place it anywhere on the table. However, he or she is only permitted a single shot.
Good tip Uncle Tom.
Any other rules while playing pool in Thailand? What if I can't sink a ball? and my opponent cleaned up her/his balls, do I have to run around the pool table with my pants down? and which direction? (clockwise or do I need to run anti clock wise)?
so many questions, but I am a pool novis and need to learn. cheers
B-H