Hua Hin Magazines

Hua Hin general discussion, observations and chat. Hua Hin topics that don't really fit anywhere else.
jamesg
Rookie
Rookie

Hua Hin Magazines

Post by jamesg »

what are the most popular / highest circulation newspapers or magazines in hua hin please? I'm only interested in local ones.
Lev
Forum Admin
Forum Admin

Re: Hua Hin Magazines

Post by Lev »

There are no real newspapers, only Hua Hin Sarn, a Thai language publication.

There are a number of nondescript glossy ad mags that come and go, the two long standing ones are The Observer (though we are unsure if this is still printed) and Hua Hin Today, a property developer sponsored 'good news' paper.

This forum has a higher daily readership/'circulation' than all of them combined.
hhfarang
Hero
Hero

Post by hhfarang »

The only things in either category published locally are advertising rags mostly used to sell real estate.
My brain is like an Internet browser; 12 tabs are open and 5 of them are not responding, there's a GIF playing in an endless loop,... and where is that annoying music coming from?
jamesg
Rookie
Rookie

Post by jamesg »

Thanks, I've seen a few of the glossy mags but I can't really remember which was which, they all seem to be broadly similar. I used to write about sport for the Phuket Gazette when I was living in Phuket and I'd be interested in doing something similar in Hua Hin but only if it's a well(ish) respected publication that people are actually gonna read.

Doesn't sound like such a thing exists.
Lev
Forum Admin
Forum Admin

Post by Lev »

Why not write on this forum, we get 3,700 readers per day so you wont be short of an audience? It certainly gets more readers than the tourist ad mags and it would be nice to have some well written content about the local area.

Sadly Hua Hin is lacking in print anything that falls into the 'well respected' category.
Clark Ling
Novice
Novice

Post by Clark Ling »

i enjoy reading the observer myself,i would recommend that one
caller
Hero
Hero

Post by caller »

Clark Ling wrote:i enjoy reading the observer myself,i would recommend that one
Got a (working) link?
Talk is cheap
jamesg
Rookie
Rookie

Post by jamesg »

I met the owner of the observer a few nights ago, he says he is planning to relaunch it soon
Frank La Rue
Guru
Guru

Post by Frank La Rue »

From what you post and considering the fact that you post hte question on an english speaking forum I assume wou want to publish in English.
From that perspective I agree with previous poste -why not publish here? I have seen other who have had their own Blog (ex Thai musings), which chose to integrate with Thai Visa (I think it was)

You could ask the Adim for your own section and puvlish there
One Day I'm gona die. I can live with that.
margaretcarnes
Rock Star
Rock Star

Post by margaretcarnes »

jamesg wrote:I met the owner of the observer a few nights ago, he says he is planning to relaunch it soon

So you will know why there has been a glitch in publishing the Observer for over a year. Good to hear it could be up and running again soon. I used to write a regular column for it but since the glitch have been doing a weekly column for AWOL - the other English language HH paper.
The problem faced by any publication in HuaHin is that Editors have to respect very strict limitations on what can be written in them, because of the local Royal connections. I lived in Pattaya years ago and you will never find anything like the Pattaya Mail used to publish in HH. In addition to which there is less going on in HH that is newsworthy - which is seen as a good thing. Even when things do go wrong it tends to be hushed up, and as mentioned earlier at times like that this forum is the place to find out.
All that said, for anyone writing non controversial stuff it would be worth approaching any of the local rags.
A sprout is for life - not just for Christmas.