Has Hua Hin Ever Had A Lighthouse?

Hua Hin general discussion, observations and chat. Hua Hin topics that don't really fit anywhere else.
Big Boy

Has Hua Hin Ever Had A Lighthouse?

Post by Big Boy »

Following on from my latest article in the Hua Hin Markets thread, I thought I would ask the question about a lighthouse in a separate thread.
Lighthouse at Hua Hin Memory
Lighthouse at Hua Hin Memory
DSC03115_1b.JPG (132.33 KiB) Viewed 2000 times
Obviously the rocks just off the Hilton/Centara Grand pose quite a hazard to local boats, and I think there is a static light/marker out there now. I am not aware that there has ever been a lighthouse there (or anywhere else in Hua Hin), but my knowledge of Hua Hin only goes back 15 years. I have seen old photos of the area, but none showing a lighthouse.

So my question is, "Has there ever been a lighthouse in Hua Hin, or is Hua Hin Memory using a little poetic licence?" :wink:
Championship Stoke City 3 - 0 Plymouth Argyle :cry: :cry: :cry: :cry:

Points 48; Position 20
Bamboo Grove

Re: Has Hua Hin Ever Had A Lighthouse?

Post by Bamboo Grove »

Had a quick look with google using Thai words for lighthouse and Hua Hin. Nothing but this particular lighthouse in your photo.
PeteC

Post by PeteC »

This seems to be a list of all the lighthouses in Thailand. However, I think a modern list. Anything on there close by?

http://wlol.arlhs.com/index.php?mode=zones&zone=THA

....and, some photos of a few of Thailand's lighthouses.

http://www.lightphotos.net/photos/thumb ... ?album=164

.....and, just for info a lot of press and photos about this lighthouse in Phuket built for the King.

http://stuffpoint.com/lighthouses-aroun ... wallpaper/

Throughout all of these, I don't spot anything specifically for Hua Hin.
Governments are instituted among Men, deriving their just powers from the consent of the governed. Source
STEVE G
Hero
Hero

Post by STEVE G »

Obviously the rocks just off the Hilton/Centara Grand pose quite a hazard to local boats, and I think there is a static light/marker out there now.
Yes, there's a light on a post a short way off those rocks, I'm don't remember if it's a bouy or on a fixed mount.
Big Boy

Post by Big Boy »

Some of the lighthouses in Pete's link do resemble the light on a post. If that is it, Hua Hin Memory is definitely using a lot of poetic license :wink:. Then again, the blue and white beastie does look a lot better than a light in a stick :D.
Championship Stoke City 3 - 0 Plymouth Argyle :cry: :cry: :cry: :cry:

Points 48; Position 20
Scout
Professional
Professional

Post by Scout »

Looking north from Soi 75/1, there appears to be a large buoy moored off the point near the Hilton. Does anyone know the purpose of this buoy ? I'm wondering if it is an automated weather buoy from which I might be able to view it's data via the internet. Thanks in advance if anyone can shed light on this mystery buoy :)
usual suspect
Ace
Ace

Post by usual suspect »

Then there's Cha Am..with it's lighthouse 1km inland..next to the rail-staion..555! :? :?