Improving Hua Hin.

Hua Hin general discussion, observations and chat. Hua Hin topics that don't really fit anywhere else.
Stargeezer
Professional
Professional

Re: Improving Hua Hin.

Post by Stargeezer »

The 5 days I spent in Hua Hin seemed okay for street traffic. It was busy, but I had come from being a week in BKK where it was crazy at times. Usual suspect, I have to agree with the driving habits that you mentioned, it seems like that in Cha Am and BKK as well as some of the places in the north part of Thailand. Driving the rules is a Farang thing, my Thai relatives and bus drivers tend to drive to a whole new set of standards, dangerous, insane or just go where angels fear to tread type of driving, and hope for the best. After I successfully came back to Canada, I thanked the lord for watching over me and my family so we didn't get run over while we were in Thailand!
Pluto is my favorite planet!, especially now that we all can see close up
pictures of it.
usual suspect
Ace
Ace

Post by usual suspect »

Well it's just been anounced that the 'powers that be' in BKK are about to have a big clampdown on street-traders that occupy the footpaths/pedestrian walkways.
This was my original gripe on here about traders taking over the footpaths in HH.
All was looking sweeter when the HH district office announced a clampdown on these traders last year..1 or 2 local publications covered this report also.
So then...1yr since I started this thread and nothing has changed, nothing has been done, Poosuk r/rants STILL occupy the footpath all along, Taxi booths trade as normal..if the booth does not obstruct your path so you have to step down into the road , then their 'sandwich boards' do,
ALL the motorbike/car hire folk still occupy a BIG slice of the roadside parking around Poolsuk, Binta, & around Burger King area..(guess where their booths are sat..?)
Just maybe one day..the army might just keep walking off the beach & clean-up the roadsides..
...but as long as the RTP are taking a monthly donation from these traders I very much doubt it.
(Unless BKK governors order a national clean-up of sidewalks..??)
Rant over.. :wink:
hhfarang
Hero
Hero

Post by hhfarang »

Doubts that the crackdown in Bangkok will go very far either...

viewtopic.php?f=18&t=29405
My brain is like an Internet browser; 12 tabs are open and 5 of them are not responding, there's a GIF playing in an endless loop,... and where is that annoying music coming from?
Pagey
Legend
Legend

Post by Pagey »

usual suspect wrote:...but as long as the RTP are taking a monthly donation from these traders I very much doubt it.
Oh the irony.......... :tsk:
'If you didn't have a wasted youth you wasted your youth'

Man in pub circa 1987.
margaretcarnes
Rock Star
Rock Star

Post by margaretcarnes »

usual suspect wrote:Well it's just been anounced that the 'powers that be' in BKK are about to have a big clampdown on street-traders that occupy the footpaths/pedestrian walkways.
This was my original gripe on here about traders taking over the footpaths in HH.
All was looking sweeter when the HH district office announced a clampdown on these traders last year..1 or 2 local publications covered this report also.
So then...1yr since I started this thread and nothing has changed, nothing has been done, Poosuk r/rants STILL occupy the footpath all along, Taxi booths trade as normal..if the booth does not obstruct your path so you have to step down into the road , then their 'sandwich boards' do,
ALL the motorbike/car hire folk still occupy a BIG slice of the roadside parking around Poolsuk, Binta, & around Burger King area..(guess where their booths are sat..?)
Just maybe one day..the army might just keep walking off the beach & clean-up the roadsides..
...but as long as the RTP are taking a monthly donation from these traders I very much doubt it.
(Unless BKK governors order a national clean-up of sidewalks..??)
Rant over.. :wink:
Nothing is going to change US and I think deep down you know that! To be honest I like the street traders - both HH and Bangkok etc. It's all part of Thai life - and it's one of those things people just wouldn't be allowed to get away with in places like the UK, which is after all why we often prefer the Thai way of life.
Yes I do understand the issues with blocked pavements on Poolsuk. But that is as much - if not more - to do with the height of the damned kerbs. And that extra height is needed for flood run-off. It's a no win situation.
The taxi lads and tuktuks in that area are inevitable as well - it is after all a touristy area.
For anyone getting a bit peed off with the way of things, street traders, cleanliness etc in the LOS I would recommend a couple of days in Singapore!
A sprout is for life - not just for Christmas.
STEVE G
Hero
Hero

Post by STEVE G »

Another point is that the reason unemployment is low in Thailand is because of the ease in starting small businesses like street traders do, so you can't just ban street traders without thinking about providing alternative employment for all these people.
JamesWest
Ace
Ace

Post by JamesWest »

i really like thailand the way it is...
I really like this forum because there are no personal attacks. All the members contribute in a positive way to my posts.