Hua Hin Beach North of Chinese Temples to Cha-Am Report

Hua Hin general discussion, observations and chat. Hua Hin topics that don't really fit anywhere else.
Big Boy

Re: Hua Hin Beach North of Chinese Temples to Cha-Am Report

Post by Big Boy »

Part 3 – Queens Park to Hua Hin Airport

A few days have passed since the last leg of my journey from Hua Hin to Cha-Am along the beach. My companion on the previous leg has made a full recovery since getting bitten on the bum (he felt very sorry for himself for 3 days afterwards), but because of his habit of attacking packs of dogs 4 times his size, I opted to travel alone this time. I decided to walk for 1 hour in a Northerly direction, and then turn around to walk back to Queens Park.

I drove to Queens Park, and as I walked down the steps to the beach, I was delighted to see the tide was already a long way out. This beach looked very clean when compared to the first leg of the journey. The downside was not far from the shoreline, in quite a few places there were close to shore rocky outcrops, but move a few yards further towards the sea, and it was beautiful smooth clear sand.
Looking North from Queens Park
Looking North from Queens Park
DSC04603b.JPG (89.87 KiB) Viewed 851 times
in quite a few places there were close to shore rocky outcrops
in quite a few places there were close to shore rocky outcrops
DSC04611b.JPG (122.47 KiB) Viewed 851 times
Most of the properties on the stretch looked residential, although there was the odd condo, and a couple of classy looking hotels/condos.
Most of the properties on the stretch looked residential
DSC04608_1b.JPG (125.03 KiB) Viewed 851 times
DSC04614b.JPG (135.98 KiB) Viewed 851 times
DSC04617b.JPG (139.59 KiB) Viewed 851 times
DSC04629b.JPG (138.75 KiB) Viewed 851 times
classy looking hotels
classy looking hotels
DSC04648b.JPG (122.67 KiB) Viewed 851 times
classy looking hotels
classy looking hotels
There were no sea facing signs that I saw, so I’ve no idea which hotels/condos I was gazing in awe at. One of the hotels had sofas where you’d expect to see sun loungers, double beds in the hotel grounds, complete with mosquito nets and king sized beds suspended as swings – very plush. Seeing these beds out in the open got my mind working overtime, but this article can be read by all age groups, so I won’t say where exactly my mind was at. Whatever the purpose, this looked luxurious.
sofas where you’d expect to see sun loungers
sofas where you’d expect to see sun loungers
DSC04661b.JPG (137.24 KiB) Viewed 851 times
double beds in the hotel grounds
double beds in the hotel grounds
DSC04663b.JPG (142.74 KiB) Viewed 851 times
There were several virgin plots of land that had never been developed.
virgin plots of land that had never been developed
virgin plots of land that had never been developed
DSC04620b.JPG (97.9 KiB) Viewed 851 times
Also, there was a quaint hidden harbour, which couldn’t really be seen from my position on the beach – all that I could see was the top of a boat’s mast. I walked back towards the shore, and as I climbed up the beach, the boats in this hidden harbour slowly came into view.
a quaint hidden harbour
a quaint hidden harbour
DSC04639b.JPG (117.27 KiB) Viewed 851 times
a quaint hidden harbour
a quaint hidden harbour
DSC04640b.JPG (113.72 KiB) Viewed 851 times
There were very few facilities for beach walkers on this stretch. No beach umbrellas or sunbeds. There was one welcoming restaurant, which I think was called White Sands, and three massage places cobbled together under what seemed to be temporary shelters, but these were sighted on undeveloped land on top of the sea wall.
There was one welcoming restaurant
There was one welcoming restaurant
DSC04642_1b.JPG (128.72 KiB) Viewed 851 times
massage places cobbled together under what seemed to be temporary shelters
DSC04647b.JPG (130.06 KiB) Viewed 851 times
DSC04655b.JPG (150.72 KiB) Viewed 851 times
So long as you can survey the beach at low tide, it is very easy to identify perfectly safe areas for swimming. I mentioned earlier that this was a cleaner stretch of beach. I did not see anybody cleaning it, but I suggest the hotels and condos do clean the beach. However, on my entire journey, I didn’t see more than a dozen people swimming in the sea. There were quite a few people dredging the bottom for mussels.
people dredging the bottom for mussels
DSC04628b.JPG (104.72 KiB) Viewed 851 times
DSC04657b.JPG (86.77 KiB) Viewed 851 times
The sea wall was still a very prominent feature of the beach, and it had collapsed in several areas. This got me thinking about the cost of replacing (repair was out of the question in most cases) the wall, and how expensive that might be. However, I then saw where the sea was eroding the banks with no wall. Bearing in mind the cost of land in this area, it must be very cost ineffective not to replace the wall. Somebody has to work out the worst of 2 evils – pay to replace the wall, or watch your asset get eroded away.
collapsed in several areas
DSC04606b.JPG (140.25 KiB) Viewed 851 times
DSC04652b.JPG (132.48 KiB) Viewed 851 times
DSC04654b.JPG (143.23 KiB) Viewed 851 times
DSC04674b.JPG (119.98 KiB) Viewed 851 times
Behind some of the collapsed wall were properties that didn’t seem to be in much better condition than the walls themselves.
properties that didn’t seem to be in much better condition
properties that didn’t seem to be in much better condition
DSC04673b.JPG (137.77 KiB) Viewed 851 times
My hour was up, and I didn’t have a clue where I was. This area was new to me, and I hadn’t seen any landmarks. I was about to use the map feature on my phone to find out where I was, when a helicopter appeared in front of me. I wondered if this could be the airport that I’d reached. I decided that the walk back would be faster than the outbound journey where I’d been stopping to take photos; so I walked beyond the hour marker.

I passed some very basic fisherman’s huts, and then I’d reached the airport. I took my last photos, and made my way back to my car.
very basic fisherman’s huts
very basic fisherman’s huts
DSC04681b.JPG (126.14 KiB) Viewed 851 times
Hua Hin Airport
Hua Hin Airport
DSC04684b.JPG (84.24 KiB) Viewed 851 times
I did not see a dog during my entire 2 hour walk, so my young companion could have joined me.

Watch this space for the next leg, Hua Hin Airport to Dusit Thani in a few days time.

More photos here: https://www.facebook.com/media/set/?set ... 718&type=1
Championship Plymouth Argyle 1 - 0 Leicester City :dance: :dance: :dance: :dance:

Points 48; Position 18
hhfarang
Hero
Hero

Post by hhfarang »

Good photos Big Boy, but I get seasick looking at them as the angle of some make it look as if you took them from a tripod on a boat in rough seas! :shock: :D
My brain is like an Internet browser; 12 tabs are open and 5 of them are not responding, there's a GIF playing in an endless loop,... and where is that annoying music coming from?
PeteC

Post by PeteC »

You mention a place called "White Sands" if what I'm thinking of it's an icon and been around (maybe in a different form) between Hua Hin and Cah-Am since the 80's or so. Maybe 8 rooms/individual bungalows +- in its original form and owned by a European or American?. Now, I have no idea. Pete :cheers:
Governments are instituted among Men, deriving their just powers from the consent of the governed. Source
Frank La Rue
Guru
Guru

Post by Frank La Rue »

Enjyable read as usual, I am looking forwards to your next report, exploring the area south of Dusit and onto their beach.
One Day I'm gona die. I can live with that.
Nereus
Hero
Hero

Post by Nereus »

hhfarang wrote:Good photos Big Boy, but I get seasick looking at them as the angle of some make it look as if you took them from a tripod on a boat in rough seas! :shock: :D
I thought it was his gammy leg causing it, seeing as he claims he does not drink enough beer to cause it. :? :rasta:
May you be in heaven half an hour before the devil know`s you`re dead!
Big Boy

Post by Big Boy »

Sorry guys, I'm definitely not a photographer (I'm sure you hadn't noticed), but get a lot of pleasure when snapping away. I'll try to stay on an even keel in future :oops:. However, I've got 4 or 5 reports already in the bank, so it'll be a few days before they straighten up.

The gammy leg is well on the mend, and having misjudged the tides on my last beach walk, I was actually wading well over the depth of my old war wound.

I'll blame it on the sun and heat :wink:
Championship Plymouth Argyle 1 - 0 Leicester City :dance: :dance: :dance: :dance:

Points 48; Position 18
PeteC

Post by PeteC »

Not to worry, it puts a fresh slant on things. :duck:
Governments are instituted among Men, deriving their just powers from the consent of the governed. Source
Big Boy

Post by Big Boy »

Part 4 – Hua Hin Airport to Dusit Thani

Encouraged by my previous walk on my journey to Cha-Am I decided to take my smallest/youngest/fittest dog with me today. After his last experience, I made sure that I took my trusty stick as well. My son also joined me for this leg of the journey, but being the fitness freak that he is, he was dressed up ‘Thai Style’ as a precaution from the sun. His old Rugby ‘sweat’ jacket, a Plymouth Argyle woolly hat and knee length socks. I was probably glad he ran ahead. I expected my dog to run with him, but ever faithful, he stuck with me all the way (I cast the largest shadow for him to walk in).

I had been recommended a watering hole en-route (Bor Fai Chaai Talee), and actually used their car park to park my car. My wife came for the ride, but opted to try out the restaurant while the rest of us walked. This place was just a few hundred yards North of the airport, so it was simple to walk South to my starting point.
I had been recommended a watering hole en-route (Bor Fai Chaai Talee), and actually used their car park to park my car.
I had been recommended a watering hole en-route (Bor Fai Chaai Talee), and actually used their car park to park my car.
DSC04688_1b.JPG (96.48 KiB) Viewed 672 times
Next to the helipad was a rather grand looking building, which I assume was some sort of airport administration offices, this was followed by Bor Fai Chaai Talee, and then a strange bit. I’d checked my route on Google Maps first, and it looked as though a river flowed into the sea here. However, the tide was high on Google Maps. Yes, I saw the river (lake?), but it stopped at the edge of the beach. There was just a slight flow of water across what was a very clean beach again.
Next to the helipad was a rather grand looking building, which I assume was some sort of airport administration offices
Next to the helipad was a rather grand looking building, which I assume was some sort of airport administration offices
DSC04687b.JPG (97.81 KiB) Viewed 672 times
My son asked how far he could run (a bit like how long is a piece of string). I took a guestimate, looking along the beach, I said I’d probably get to the 5th large condo/hotel, which turned out to take me exactly one hour to get to, and was the Dusit Thani. So it was just me and my 4 legged friend (my son had the dog’s water and drinking dish in his rucksack – a mistake). About half way through today’s outbound journey, my little friend was desperate for water, the sun was definitely too strong for him – I decided at this stage that this was his last daytime beach walk until the weather cools down a bit. He was delighted when we eventually caught up with my son and he got his long overdue drink.
looking along the beach, I said I’d probably get to the 5th large condo/hotel
looking along the beach, I said I’d probably get to the 5th large condo/hotel
DSC04689b.JPG (81.21 KiB) Viewed 672 times
The first thing on this journey to impress me was a block of very nice looking town houses – from the front, they looked about 3 times the size of usual town houses, and looking at the size of the air conditioning units, the rooms inside must have been huge.
a block of very nice looking town houses
a block of very nice looking town houses
DSC04691b.JPG (100.39 KiB) Viewed 672 times
There were some fantastic homes on this stretch of the journey, and I mentioned to my son as we walked back to the car that we were on millionaire’s row.
some fantastic homes on this stretch of the journey
DSC04700b.JPG (128.93 KiB) Viewed 672 times
DSC04701b.JPG (135.73 KiB) Viewed 672 times
DSC04702b.JPG (136.22 KiB) Viewed 672 times
The sea wall on this stretch of the journey was much lower than on the previous 2 legs, so I guess that sea is not so much of a problem here. As far as I could tell, there was only one collapsed section of sea wall.
sea wall on this stretch of the journey was much lower than on the previous 2 legs
sea wall on this stretch of the journey was much lower than on the previous 2 legs
only one collapsed section of sea wall
only one collapsed section of sea wall
DSC04722b.JPG (129.06 KiB) Viewed 672 times
The only people in the sea (apart from a Thai chap with his 2 young kids) were the usual suspects gathering mussels or fishing with small nets.
Thai chap with his 2 young kids
Thai chap with his 2 young kids
DSC04718b.JPG (99.81 KiB) Viewed 672 times
usual suspects gathering mussels
usual suspects gathering mussels
DSC04724b.JPG (109.29 KiB) Viewed 672 times
Again, as with the rest of the Northerly walk, there were no beach facilities for bathers. This was despite passing 5 high rise condos/hotels, and many low level resorts. I find this very strange because most people like a beach holiday, so why don’t these beachfront condos/hotels/resorts make provision. The beach looks clean, I didn’t even see any broken glass today, so why?

There were quite a few areas of undeveloped land, but there was also a lot of construction going on.
undeveloped land
undeveloped land
DSC04707b.JPG (99.98 KiB) Viewed 672 times
construction going on
construction going on
DSC04720_1b.JPG (119.65 KiB) Viewed 672 times
There was one large(ish) place with what looked like a thatched roof. I think it might have been a beachside restaurant, but it was obscured by some fairly large boulders. I had the dog with me, so I didn’t investigate further.
place with what looked like a thatched roof
place with what looked like a thatched roof
DSC04716b.JPG (126.5 KiB) Viewed 672 times
So, today’s journey stopped just South of the Dusit Thani – next challenge is to find public access to the beach close to here so that my journey can continue.
today’s journey stopped just South of the Dusit Thani
today’s journey stopped just South of the Dusit Thani
DSC04733b.JPG (106.97 KiB) Viewed 672 times
Watch this space for the next installment Dusit Thani to Army Restrictive Zone

Points 48; Position 18
Frank La Rue
Guru
Guru

Post by Frank La Rue »

The pic of the place which looks like a "tatched roof" from below - could that be the seafront of the Boat House? I guess you would see the appartment block further behind, though.

I have just been out there from inside of the Boathouse facility once, so I may remember entirely wrong.
One Day I'm gona die. I can live with that.
Big Boy

Post by Big Boy »

Part 5 – Dusit Thani to Army Restrictive Zone

Knowing that I must be getting to the Army Restricted Zone, I drove North past the Dusit Thani, and did a U-Turn at the first Army Camp. I then followed the perimeter wall until it ended. I took the next left, and followed the road to the sea. I was obviously quite a way North of Dusit Thani, so I would walk South to my starting point, and then do an about turn before starting to take photographs.

I parked at a nice looking seafood restaurant that I’d spotted yesterday, and sat Mrs BB down for her lunch (she said the food was excellent). This restaurant was certainly on the tour bus route, because 2 busses pulled into the ample car park at the same time as us. I then set off on today’s trek.

Thai tides never fail to amaze me. 2 days ago at about the same time I walked the stretch to the Dusit Thani, and I would guess the beach was over 100 yards wide. Yesterday at Cha-Am, the water went out a very long way. Today, in places, there was no beach. My leg continues to heal, and I was wading in places – no adverse reaction yet. However, I did find a trusty wall to climb on the way back.

When, I got to the Dusit Thani proper (I stopped a few yards short of my previous leg), I found something I hadn’t found elsewhere on my walks North. Sun loungers on the sand, However, not one was being used. It was quite windy today, so maybe the constant blown sand made it too uncomfortable. I glanced into the hotel’s grounds, and thought how lovely they were, but a long way from ‘real Thailand’. Having said that, I wouldn’t mind staying for a few days to wind down.
Dusit Thani
Dusit Thani
DSC04736b.JPG (113.38 KiB) Viewed 541 times
Sun loungers on the sand
Sun loungers on the sand
DSC04738b.JPG (109.69 KiB) Viewed 541 times
A few yards down the beach there was a water sports hire centre (no idea if it had anything to do with the hotel). From what I could see, for water sports, read jet ski. There might have been more inside the lock-up building though. The sea was too rough for holiday water sports today.
water sports hire centre
water sports hire centre
DSC04741b.JPG (110.8 KiB) Viewed 541 times
Something that confused me on this stretch, there were at least 2 areas that had housed large hotels/condos, but these had been raised to the ground. One of the sites still had the water slide that would have gone into a large swimming pool. When researching this leg of my walk, there was quite a bit of reference to ‘Deserted Pool’ – this was obviously where I was at. I’d love to know what happened in these areas that necessitated demolishing what used to be substantial hotels/condos.
at least 2 areas that had housed large hotels/condos, but these had been raised to the ground
at least 2 areas that had housed large hotels/condos, but these had been raised to the ground
DSC04743b.JPG (100.9 KiB) Viewed 541 times
at least 2 areas that had housed large hotels/condos, but these had been raised to the ground.  One of the sites still had the water slide that would have gone into a large swimming pool.
at least 2 areas that had housed large hotels/condos, but these had been raised to the ground. One of the sites still had the water slide that would have gone into a large swimming pool.
DSC04753b.JPG (122.65 KiB) Viewed 541 times
This stretch was mainly condos and hotels, but there were a few residential properties (we’d definitely left millionaire’s row), and the odd Thai fisherman’s cottage intermingled.
residential properties
residential properties
DSC04746b.JPG (133.96 KiB) Viewed 541 times
residential properties
residential properties
DSC04765b.JPG (122.64 KiB) Viewed 541 times
Thai fisherman’s cottages
Thai fisherman’s cottages
DSC04769b.JPG (131.52 KiB) Viewed 541 times
There was further evidence of the sea wall having been broached, and the sea wall had grown to substantial heights in places, and even provided some welcome shade from a very hot sun.
further evidence of the sea wall having been broached
further evidence of the sea wall having been broached
DSC04748b.JPG (124.39 KiB) Viewed 541 times
Then I came across a first for me in Thailand. One large hotel was flying a green flag, which I took to mean safe conditions for bathing, and there was a sign advising no lifeguard on duty. Well done to that hotel (no name displayed).
One large hotel was flying a green flag
One large hotel was flying a green flag
DSC04755b.JPG (134.1 KiB) Viewed 541 times
There were a few massage places on this stretch, which ranged from very posh to the usual beach side shacks. Regardless of plushness, the price seemed to be 300 Baht for 1 hour. One enterprising place even took in laundry, and offered a taxi service.
a few massage places
a few massage places
DSC04758b.JPG (144.32 KiB) Viewed 541 times
As with the previous leg, planning my journey on Google Earth, because the Google Earth tide was in, it looked as though a fairly substantial river flowed into the sea here. However, it turned out to be more of a lake with a little run off across the sand.
a lake with a little run off across the sand
a lake with a little run off across the sand
DSC04759b.JPG (120.33 KiB) Viewed 541 times
There were quite a few beachside restaurants along this stretch of beach, which looked very welcoming. It must be quite nice turning left out of one of the residences on this stretch, and taking an evening stroll along the beach to one of these restaurants. So long as the tide isn’t high, there are no obstacles to climb over.
beachside restaurants
beachside restaurants
DSC04768b.JPG (135.77 KiB) Viewed 541 times
beachside restaurants
beachside restaurants
DSC04770b.JPG (114.48 KiB) Viewed 541 times
I got back to my start point, and commenced the rest of my journey towards the restricted area, However, this part of this leg couldn’t have been more than half a mile. I came to the high fence enclosing the camp, and I saw 2 others walking in front of me turned around by a military looking type. I took my last photo, and turned around voluntarily, before I was turned around. I did not want to be a foreigner stopped for taking photos in a restricted area.
the high fence enclosing the camp
the high fence enclosing the camp
DSC04774b.JPG (129.75 KiB) Viewed 541 times
I felt that this was the most welcoming of the Northerly walk so far, However, even though the water was high, compared with the previous 3 legs, this beach was dirty (maybe washed in by the strong winds today?), and I wouldn’t have fancied being a swimmer. There were some quality hotels on this stretch, so I’m sure the beach would have been cleaned promptly.

Watch this space for the next installment Sai Yoi yo Beach Garden Hotel

Points 48; Position 18
TingTongJohn
Professional
Professional

Post by TingTongJohn »

Thanks for the updates and photos. Keep up the great beach walks. Excellent work.
One word is not a story but it is the beginning and end of one.
Gregjam
Ace
Ace

Post by Gregjam »

I stayed at the Dusit for a couple of nights recently to celebrate my 24th wedding anniversary. Lovely hotel and we both thoroughly enjoyed it. She had a day of spa treatments and I enjoyed lounging by the pool. Pricey but worth the treat. At high tide the water would make a beach walk impossible and there was always a breeze but it could very easily be too breezy.

Lots of good stuff on the forum lately with this and the accounts of the Thai family in Scandinavia. Thanks for the reports and keep them coming.
Big Boy

Post by Big Boy »

Gregjam wrote:At high tide the water would make a beach walk impossible
:laugh: Difficult, but not impossible. I hit high tide (by mistake :oops: ) and was wading as I made my way South to my start point. I climbed a couple of walls on the Northerly return.

Points 48; Position 18
Kraka's Dad
Guru
Guru

Post by Kraka's Dad »

The first property north of th Dusit Thani is still owned by Thaksin. Any photos of that? :cheers:
The greatest trick the Devil ever pulled was convincing the world he didn't exist.
Big Boy

Post by Big Boy »

The first property North will be directly behind the jet skis (red roof buildings), although they still strongly resemble Dusit Thani tiling. The next building would have been here DSC04743b.JPG :? Maybe that answers my question above.

Points 48; Position 18