Hua Hin Beach North of Chinese Temples to Cha-Am Report

Hua Hin general discussion, observations and chat. Hua Hin topics that don't really fit anywhere else.
Big Boy

Hua Hin Beach North of Chinese Temples to Cha-Am Report

Post by Big Boy »

Prompted by a comment made on my Hilton to Khao Takiab report, while not confident about doing the Cha-Am to Hua Hin beach walk one hit due to distance and restricted zones, I thought I could do it in manageable chunks. However, I will not hit this stage after stage, but as the mood takes me.

Apart from looking over sea walls, and stepping briefly onto the sand, this stretch of our shoreline is quite alien to me.

I chose an easy start with the walk from The Chinese Temples to The Royal Palace.

Part 1 - The Chinese Temples to The Royal Palace

To simplify this journey, I drove my car to the end of Naeb Kehardt Road, where I parked it, and caught the Surround City Bus back to the centre of town. We then walked to the Chinese Temples, where we entered the beach. After my walk South, and the need to climb the sea wall, I made a point of checking the local tide tables so that we could do the walk at low tide.

One thing I quickly learnt on this walk was that I either need to do the walk in the morning, when the tide is low, or choose an overcast day. I found the sun in a very awkward position, and most of the time I didn’t have a clue what I was capturing on my photos. More importantly, I mustn’t forget to apply sun screen.
The tide was low
The tide was low
DSC04009b.JPG (114.49 KiB) Viewed 2192 times
As planned, the water was really low, and we could walk a long way beyond the many piers, mainly selling food at this point. I must admit, seeing the piers from this angle made me wonder at how they withstand some of the storms we have.
seeing the piers from this angle
DSC04012b.JPG (116.81 KiB) Viewed 2192 times
DSC04017b.JPG (115.74 KiB) Viewed 2192 times
Already, it was easy to see that this stretch of beach was not going to be as clean as the Southern section. While I was taking photos, my son was commendably picking the more dangerous rubbish (broken glass etc), but his efforts were only a pin prick in a massive problem.

There were a few bathers all of the way up this stretch of beach, but beach facilities for bathers were non-existent. Even outside of the larger hotels, there was nothing. Not even a sun bed or a beach umbrella. All facilities seemed to be confined to the other side of the sea wall, which got very high at times. I certainly didn’t see any signs inviting beach walker trade into any establishment. OK, some of these places are nice restaurants open to anybody – I know that because I live here, but to a casual walker, they wouldn’t have known the difference between restaurants and hotels. Maybe they’re missing some passing trade.
a few bathers all of the way up this stretch of beach
a few bathers all of the way up this stretch of beach
DSC04083b.JPG (111.06 KiB) Viewed 2192 times
beach facilities for bathers were non-existent
beach facilities for bathers were non-existent
I certainly didn’t see any signs inviting beach walker trade into any establishment.  OK, some of these places are nice restaurants open to anybody – I know that because I live here, but to a casual walker, they wouldn’t have known the difference between restaurants and hotels.
I certainly didn’t see any signs inviting beach walker trade into any establishment. OK, some of these places are nice restaurants open to anybody – I know that because I live here, but to a casual walker, they wouldn’t have known the difference between restaurants and hotels.
DSC04055b.JPG (137.36 KiB) Viewed 2192 times
There were rubber dinghy’s patrolling the restricted area. I was very impressed when one of the dinghy’s came close to shore, lowered its wheels and started driving around the beach. I worked with the military all of my life, but it was the first time I’d seen one of these – it wouldn’t have been out of place in a Bond movie.
rubber dinghy’s patrolling the restricted area
rubber dinghy’s patrolling the restricted area
DSC04039b.JPG (83.96 KiB) Viewed 2192 times
lowered its wheels and started driving around the beach
lowered its wheels and started driving around the beach
DSC04041b.JPG (81.69 KiB) Viewed 2192 times
It was nice to see the guard ships out at sea, and the yellow buoys marking the exclusion zone.
guard ships out at sea, and the yellow buoys marking the exclusion zone
guard ships out at sea, and the yellow buoys marking the exclusion zone
DSC04048b.JPG (85.56 KiB) Viewed 2192 times
As we moved up the beach, there was a bit of smell in the air, and the general colour of the sand started to turn a yucky colour. There was a sort of slime sitting on top of the sand. The sea wall was becoming increasingly higher at this stage, which started to make me wonder whether the wall was to keep out the sea or the smell. Was this a regular occurrence, or was it a one-off problem? As I’ve only done the trip once, I don’t know the answer.
a bit of smell in the air, and the general colour of the sand started to turn a yucky colour
a bit of smell in the air, and the general colour of the sand started to turn a yucky colour
DSC04058b.JPG (87.76 KiB) Viewed 2192 times
Love was definitely in the air as we passed one place preparing for a wedding, and there was a wedding party at another place.
one place preparing for a wedding
one place preparing for a wedding
DSC04043b.JPG (141.4 KiB) Viewed 2192 times
We continued our trek, and small rocky outcrops and a lot of small medium sized boulders were appearing in the sand. If the water was higher, these hazards would have been well hidden.
small rocky outcrops
small rocky outcrops
DSC04068b.JPG (108.24 KiB) Viewed 2192 times
small medium sized boulders
small medium sized boulders
DSC04078b.JPG (119.12 KiB) Viewed 2192 times
As we approached the palace, we were wondering what would be there to stop us wandering into the restricted area (not that we had any intention of doing so) – we were at least expecting a soldier on guard duty. OK, we weren’t going to get too close, but all that we saw was a polite sign warning us off. At this point, this leg of the journey to Cha-Am ended.
a polite sign warning us off
a polite sign warning us off
DSC04084b.JPG (146.46 KiB) Viewed 2192 times
When I have the time, and tides and weather conditions are good, I will attempt the stretch North of the exclusion zone, but don’t know when. Watch this space.

Many more photos here: https://www.facebook.com/media/set/?set ... 718&type=1
Championship Stoke City 3 - 0 Plymouth Argyle :cry: :cry: :cry: :cry:

Points 48; Position 20
PeteC

Re: Hua Hin Beach North of Chinese Temples to Cha-Am Report

Post by PeteC »

Good effort BB. The wander bug has really bitten you I think. :thumb: Pete :cheers:
Governments are instituted among Men, deriving their just powers from the consent of the governed. Source
Big Boy

Post by Big Boy »

I love just going for a wander. This one will take longer to complete waiting for the right tides, weather etc. Also, once I get past the airport I will have to find a suitable start point, walk to identify the next start point, then turn around and re-trace my steps to get back to my car, so I'll basically be walking twice as far - no public transport to take me back to my start point.

Points 48; Position 20
PeteC

Post by PeteC »

I just had a quick look at a Google map and after the airport there are intermittent coast roads all the way to Cha-Am. Some areas much better than others, a few small areas with none which look like developments/resorts of some kind with looping, circular roads through them, and nothing near that Phraratchaniwet Camp where there appears to be a lot of jetty like structures on the beach lined up one after the other. Looking at Google satellite may be a good idea as even if not a current shot, the coast shape/roads shouldn't have changed. Pete :cheers:
Governments are instituted among Men, deriving their just powers from the consent of the governed. Source
lomuamart

Post by lomuamart »

There will be public transport, BB. As long as you can get to Petchkasem, just wait for the orange buses that come from Petchaburi. They should be about every 20 mins and you flag them down just as you do a sonthaew. Price will be depend on where you're coming from but they're cheap.
Big Boy

Post by Big Boy »

prcscct wrote:I just had a quick look at a Google map and after the airport there are intermittent coast roads all the way to Cha-Am. Some areas much better than others, a few small areas with none which look like developments/resorts of some kind with looping, circular roads through them, and nothing near that Phraratchaniwet Camp where there appears to be a lot of jetty like structures on the beach lined up one after the other. Looking at Google satellite may be a good idea as even if not a current shot, the coast shape/roads shouldn't have changed. Pete :cheers:
Yes, despite some people having told us that they've done the walk, I know there are restrictions. Also there is a huge lump of beachfront managed by the military. I'm not sure how I would stand taking photos in those areas. Could it be construed as spying? It would certainly be frowned upon in the UK. So I will proceed with caution when conditions are right.

Points 48; Position 20
Big Boy

Post by Big Boy »

lomuamart wrote:There will be public transport, BB. As long as you can get to Petchkasem, just wait for the orange buses that come from Petchaburi. They should be about every 20 mins and you flag them down just as you do a sonthaew. Price will be depend on where you're coming from but they're cheap.
Yes, thanks lomu. I'm aware of the orange buses, but I've looked down some of those roads to the beach, and they look long. Even when I get to Petchkasem, there could be up to 20 minutes to wait, and then I'd probably have another long walk from Petchkasem to my car. I think re-tracing my steps will be as easy. I'd probably do about an hour's walk, and then turn around to go back again.

Points 48; Position 20
Dannie Boy
Hero
Hero

Post by Dannie Boy »

I'm not sure what's between the palace and the army camp, but once you get past the army camp and further towards Cha Am there are a number of stretches where there are beach roads, I'm sure you will be able to find a motorcycle taxi to take you back to your start point.
kendo
Rock Star
Rock Star

Post by kendo »

prcscct wrote:Good effort BB. The wander bug has really bitten you I think. :thumb: Pete :cheers:

Yes it sure has on my last visit over we tracked up mountains in the mid day sun just to take in the view and a little nosey around some temples. 8)

Kendo. :cheers:
Is Bangkok a place or a nasty injury.......Eric Morcombe.

Proud to be a Southampton FC Fan.
kendo
Rock Star
Rock Star

Post by kendo »

Big Boy wrote:
prcscct wrote:I just had a quick look at a Google map and after the airport there are intermittent coast roads all the way to Cha-Am. Some areas much better than others, a few small areas with none which look like developments/resorts of some kind with looping, circular roads through them, and nothing near that Phraratchaniwet Camp where there appears to be a lot of jetty like structures on the beach lined up one after the other. Looking at Google satellite may be a good idea as even if not a current shot, the coast shape/roads shouldn't have changed. Pete :cheers:
Yes, despite some people having told us that they've done the walk, I know there are restrictions. Also there is a huge lump of beachfront managed by the military. I'm not sure how I would stand taking photos in those areas. Could it be construed as spying? It would certainly be frowned upon in the UK. So I will proceed with caution when conditions are right.

You have already been told not to take pictures of his majesty passing through town in his motorcade. :tsk:

Kendo. :cheers:
Is Bangkok a place or a nasty injury.......Eric Morcombe.

Proud to be a Southampton FC Fan.
Big Boy

Post by Big Boy »

Dannie Boy wrote:I'm sure you will be able to find a motorcycle taxi to take you back to your start point.
:laugh: Nice thought, but I don't do 2 wheels :wink:

Points 48; Position 20
Kraka's Dad
Guru
Guru

Post by Kraka's Dad »

Why can I only see the previous post by Big Boy and not any more of the earlier part of the ??thread?
The greatest trick the Devil ever pulled was convincing the world he didn't exist.
PeteC

Post by PeteC »

Don't use the "latest topics" menu to the right. Go to "view new posts or unread posts" at the top right.
Kraka's Dad
Guru
Guru

Post by Kraka's Dad »

Thanks
:cheers:
The greatest trick the Devil ever pulled was convincing the world he didn't exist.
PeteC

Post by PeteC »

I've now studied a satellite image of the Phraratchaniwet military camp. The "jetties" I referred to above extend out about 80 meters into the sea visible depending upon the tide. There's 8 of them and they appear to be there to help retain sand on the beaches. I assume they use those alcoves for beach landing exercises.

Of greater interest is that at both the northern and southern beach borders of the camp there are man made canals with sluice gates which appear to control water flow into and out of wetland areas/mangrove swamps at either end of the camp. Quite elaborate construction as you can see when looking at the satellite images.

There is no beach path or bridge at all where these canals are. You would have to swim across. IMO this is one area you're going to have to go around completely. Pete :cheers: