Changing Face of Hua Hin

Hua Hin general discussion, observations and chat. Hua Hin topics that don't really fit anywhere else.
Stargeezer
Professional
Professional

Re: Changing Face of Hua Hin

Post by Stargeezer »

I actually like some of the piers that still exist, but I have wished there was access along the beach under them, like a cement style walking path from the north of the piers to the south end.
Some of the restaurants along the sea side have provided me a lot of great meals and memories.
It would be a shame to see all of them get torn down.
Stargeezer
Pluto is my favorite planet!, especially now that we all can see close up
pictures of it.
PeteC

Post by PeteC »

Ref that 2006 photo on page 2, that dark cloud under the pier is not soy sauce! I hope that problem has been solved by now either by pumping to a treatment plant, or much further out to sea.
Governments are instituted among Men, deriving their just powers from the consent of the governed. Source
tommy
Rookie
Rookie

Post by tommy »

Sitting out on the piers eating fresh seafood and drinking cold Singha is in my opinion the best thing about Hua Hin.
pfotoguy
Rookie
Rookie

Post by pfotoguy »

Had a good meal at Ketsarin last night. That was one of my favorite places four years ago and still is. Fantastic shrimp cakes
Frank La Rue
Guru
Guru

Post by Frank La Rue »

dundrillin wrote:Having a meal at a restaurant on one of the piers I regard as one of the highlights of dining out in HuaHin. The cool sea breezes,looking out at the ships that are illuminated whilst enjoying a really good meal at a great price is a great attraction for me. The busy narrow streets with their numerous business leading to the bars etc of the Binta leave me in no doubt I am in a foreign land. If you sweep away the piers what's next to go?

Usually go down to Hua HIn on every stay in Thailand - sometimes with the extended family - The seafood meal at the pier is a tradition as sure as Christmas Day - to savour and cherish.

It is one of those events I have defined as a "reward" in our life, one of these events I look forward to,
in order to find strenght and endurance in other theatres of life.

As a matter of fact, as a family we always go to stay in Dusit Thani Hua Hin as such a reward, the first evening we always dine at the beach restaurant in Dusit, the 2nd night we always dine at the pier.

My wife once went with friends to Dusit Thani, when she was in her twenties, her friend's family has a distributorship for tiles and kitchenware and what not up in Supanburi- the company management went on a motivational trip to Dusit Hua HIn and her friend asked my wife to tag allong.

It was years before we met. After this she always spoke about it, so after we had married I said. lets go and check it out.
Can you imagine the harsh winter in January in Norway -enter the plane whilst the outdoors is minus 20 Degrees, land in BKK and drive down to Hua HIn in January, when Thai climate is at its best?

With the private Beach and the Dusit Thani restaurants I was sold - it's where I recharge my batteries, only 2 or 3 other farangs with a thai wife and a kid or two like me, no travel groups from European countries, (They all stay in Hua Hin Hilton), no loud discoteque in the cellar, Thai and Italian 1st class restaurants, great wines, clean pool and pure bliss.

They even serve an exellent "Fish & Chips" for lunch.

I just might start my own Dusit Thani thread in July when down there and write about our experiences - the home away from home, the secret paradise which I am delighted that tourist farangs don't know about.

Great traditions and great feeling.

Ramble over :D
One Day I'm gona die. I can live with that.
Khundon1975
Rock Star
Rock Star

Post by Khundon1975 »

Hua-Hin01.jpg
Hua-Hin01.jpg (56.82 KiB) Viewed 1274 times
Only changed a little bit. :wink:
I've lost my mind and I am making no effort to find it.
richard
Deceased
Deceased

Post by richard »

What year?
RICHARD OF LOXLEY

It’s none of my business what people say and think of me. I am what I am and do what I do. I expect nothing and accept everything. It makes life so much easier.
Khundon1975
Rock Star
Rock Star

Post by Khundon1975 »

Richard sorry, can't remember when I posted it. :wink:

Seriously, I don't know. I got it off Google. Maybe someone will know and post the date.

:cheers:
dtaai-maai
Hero
Hero

Post by dtaai-maai »

Looks like the date is in the bottom right corner of the postcard - April 1916?
This is the way
Khundon1975
Rock Star
Rock Star

Post by Khundon1975 »

dtaai-maai wrote:Looks like the date is in the bottom right corner of the postcard - April 1916?

Thanks DM, :thumb: I'm crap at Thai dates, if the wife had been here I would have asked her.
Hobiecat
Professional
Professional

Post by Hobiecat »

It's just an observation but can anyone place those's hills in the back ground. I've seen most of the coast line of HH from the water and can't seem to place where this photo might have been taken?
Why is it called 'after dark' when it really is 'after light'?
Big Boy

Post by Big Boy »

I assume that is the view from where the Chinese Temples stand. The hills are mainly obscured by buildings now.

If you look at this old (very poor) photo from the end of the pier taken 5 years ago (different angle), you can make out a similar skyline.
DSC04565.jpg
DSC04565.jpg (63.24 KiB) Viewed 1236 times
Championship Plymouth Argyle 1 - 0 Leicester City :dance: :dance: :dance: :dance:

Points 48; Position 18
usual suspect
Ace
Ace

Post by usual suspect »

I agree with Big Boy..a well built, tidy, illuminated promenade would be wonderful along the beachfront,.indeed a showpiece for this town.
But also agree with others that there's to many influencial families in H,H, that are making big bucks here having the seafront looking & operating just as it does.
Maybe Prayut needs to look North of the Hilton for his 'clean-up' campaign..not South..?
Takiap
Rock Star
Rock Star

Post by Takiap »

Khundon1975 wrote:
dtaai-maai wrote:Looks like the date is in the bottom right corner of the postcard - April 1916?

Thanks DM, :thumb: I'm crap at Thai dates, if the wife had been here I would have asked her.

I don't think you need a translator, but you might want to consider having your eyes tested. :duck: :laugh: The date on the postcard is not in Thai.

:cheers:
Don't try to impress me with your manner of dress cos a monkey himself is a monkey no less - cold fact
Big Boy

Post by Big Boy »

Being a Thai postcard, could the date be 2416 or less likely 2516?
Championship Plymouth Argyle 1 - 0 Leicester City :dance: :dance: :dance: :dance:

Points 48; Position 18