Getting Around West of the Train Tracks?

Hua Hin general discussion, observations and chat. Hua Hin topics that don't really fit anywhere else.
SaintLouie1981
Amateur
Amateur

Getting Around West of the Train Tracks?

Post by SaintLouie1981 »

So, like I mentioned in my introduction post. I'm currently living in BKK and have been to HH quite a few times. As it's planned right now, I should be living in HH by the end of August latest.

Every time I've taken my little 3-4 day mini vacations to HH, I've been on the "east side", clock tower area near the beach and getting around was extremely easy. But when I move there, it's looking more likely that me and my gf (thai) will be living more towards the North (palace area) and to the West of the train tracks.

My question to the folks already residing there; is it necessary when living where I plan on living to have a car/motor bike?

Sorry to sound completely clueless but like I said I'm very used to the clock tower area where you can walk or take public transportation to anything. I'm not really familiar at all with the area the gf and I are looking into.
Big Boy

Re: Getting Around West of the Train Tracks?

Post by Big Boy »

Without knowing exactly where you will be, it is difficult to advise. However, I'm thinking you could make use of at least 2 of the regular songtaews into town.

http://www.tourismhuahin.com/getting-around-huahin.php
Championship Plymouth Argyle 0 - 1 Preston NE :cry: :cry: :cry: :cry:

Points 41; Position 18
SaintLouie1981
Amateur
Amateur

Post by SaintLouie1981 »

Thanks I guess it's kind of a silly question. But i'm just very used to one area in HH where you can walk to or get public transport any where. Not sure if it's the same up North HH.

I mean really, all I would be concerned about would be getting to the market for food and stores and such. Being from Bkk where I can get anywhere easily, I'm just a lil concerned that it might be difficult if I don't have my own means of transportation..

Thanks for the help though!
Big Boy

Post by Big Boy »

Basically, if you're no further North than the Palace, and within walking distance of the Klong Road, there are 2 regular songthaew services.

If you're further North of the palace, but still within walking distance of the Klong Road, there is 1 songthaew service (the Makro bus).
Championship Plymouth Argyle 0 - 1 Preston NE :cry: :cry: :cry: :cry:

Points 41; Position 18
SaintLouie1981
Amateur
Amateur

Post by SaintLouie1981 »

Gotcha! Thanks so much for your help! I will be there again July 10th-14th to check some things out (find a place). I should have much more info on where I'll be staying.

Thanks again Big boy!
Arlo
Professional
Professional

Post by Arlo »

I live off the canal road and I would highly recommend getting a motorbike. You will need it to go to and from the markets here in the evening. That is if you and your gf plan on shopping at the Thai markets here for your food in the evenings.. Also depending on how close you are to the canal road you might have a little walk just to get to some transportation and during the day that might be pretty hot and not so fun. I think having some wheels will make your life a lot easier and more enjoyable.
SaintLouie1981
Amateur
Amateur

Post by SaintLouie1981 »

Arlo wrote:I live off the canal road and I would highly recommend getting a motorbike. You will need it to go to and from the markets here in the evening. That is if you and your gf plan on shopping at the Thai markets here for your food in the evenings.. Also depending on how close you are to the canal road you might have a little walk just to get to some transportation and during the day that might be pretty hot and not so fun. I think having some wheels will make your life a lot easier and more enjoyable.

Hmm thanks for the input. That's actually what I was concerned about, don't mind walking all that much, however in this beautiful Thai heat I don't want to be walking too far dripping sweat. I'll probably still need some advice after I visit HH in July. So if I find out where I'm moving I will definitely come back with more details.

Thanks!