Profile of farang tourists in Hua Hin

Hua Hin general discussion, observations and chat. Hua Hin topics that don't really fit anywhere else.
theprice01
Professional
Professional

Profile of farang tourists in Hua Hin

Post by theprice01 »

i dont have exact figures, but yes, most european tourists in hua hin are over 50. Next biggest group i would say are families with children/young teenagers. Lastly you might see the odd couple of backpackers arrive at the trainstation, but not many.
When nosy expats ask how can i live here without working, i reply, 'well, while you worked hard for 50 years, i worked smart for 5 years' :D
Thriftydrifter
Amateur
Amateur

Re: Profile of farang tourists?

Post by Thriftydrifter »

But 'backpacker' and 'over 50' are not mutually exclusive. Maybe we should have a category of our own? ;-)
bsdk1960
Ace
Ace

Post by bsdk1960 »

white skin :wink:
kendo
Rock Star
Rock Star

Post by kendo »

Plenty people come to town under fifty and have made relationships in Hua Hin I'm 43 and have been coming here for nine years.

Kendo. :cheers:
Is Bangkok a place or a nasty injury.......Eric Morcombe.

Proud to be a Southampton FC Fan.
SunandFun
Guru
Guru

Post by SunandFun »

Profile? Just think of a "pear." Yea, I think you get the idea. No, as Kendo says, the tourist and some of the residents are as broad a variety as any where else.
I wouldn't have to manage my anger if people could learn to mange their stupidity!
Gregjam
Ace
Ace

Post by Gregjam »

Sit outside Starbucks between 0730 and 0830 of and a totally different profile would be apparent. Backpackers catching the southbound bus at eight grabbing a quick coffee of all ages, teacher and class (various Western nationalities) also getting ready to go somewhere (perhaps tourists on an educational tour). How do you identify a 'European tourist'. Does this exclude North Americans, South Africans and Austrazeanders. Few are resident, many non-resident (technically speaking) and many technically tourists.

Perhaps a good question to discuss over a few beers to while away the time but difficult to really get a definitive answer.
theprice01
Professional
Professional

Post by theprice01 »

It says i was the auther/OP, i'm sure i wasnt, can anyone shed any light on this?!? i posted the first reply to the question.
When nosy expats ask how can i live here without working, i reply, 'well, while you worked hard for 50 years, i worked smart for 5 years' :D
kendo
Rock Star
Rock Star

Post by kendo »

Tourists and long stayers I would say are two different catogories plenty of people around town that stay in Hua Hin are off shore workers or staying to escape the long harsh winter in their own countries.

Kendo. :cheers:
Is Bangkok a place or a nasty injury.......Eric Morcombe.

Proud to be a Southampton FC Fan.
hhfarang
Hero
Hero

Post by hhfarang »

^ I agree but would further break that down into 3 types, tourists, snowbirds and offshore workers, and full time expats.

Living here full time is much different than the other two. Being a tourist is of course very different from living here full time and dealing with the not so fun things all the time, and part timers are more like tourists than full timers as they get frequent breaks from the frustrations or at least experience a variety of cultures and lifestyles with an escape from each (back to the other) on a regular basis.

I would consider it to be ideal to be a snowbird if one can afford it. My next door neighbor is from Sweden and spends from November through March here and the rest of the year back at home in Sweden, allowing not only to miss those cruel winters there and the cruel summers here, but also allowing them to socialize with two sets of friends as well as having regular visits with family.

From all the foreigners I've met here during the past ten years I think there may even be more of these snowbirds and offshore workers living here (part time) than full time expats.
My brain is like an Internet browser; 12 tabs are open and 5 of them are not responding, there's a GIF playing in an endless loop,... and where is that annoying music coming from?
Lev
Forum Admin
Forum Admin

Post by Lev »

theprice01 wrote:It says i was the auther/OP, i'm sure i wasnt, can anyone shed any light on this?!? i posted the first reply to the question.
We're looking into it, seems to be a glitch somewhere as the OP no longer exists.
lomuamart

Post by lomuamart »

theprice01 wrote:It says i was the auther/OP, i'm sure i wasnt, can anyone shed any light on this?!? i posted the first reply to the question.
It seems as though there was a glitch with the forum software and the OP was lost. It certainly wasn't moderated.
So, yes you're correct. Your first post on the thread was the first reply.
This post crossed with Lev's.
dozer
Ace
Ace

Post by dozer »

Lev wrote:
We're looking into it, seems to be a glitch somewhere as the OP no longer exists.

It was a samantha1989,she/he was doing the usual get to 10 blitz
Atheists have no need of a god. Our lives are not based on fear or guilt. We are moral because we know it's right.

Never attribute to malice that which can be explained by stupidity. R J Hanlon