Promoting skin cancer on Hua Hin beach; no umbrellas

Hua Hin general discussion, observations and chat. Hua Hin topics that don't really fit anywhere else.
okobieuk
Novice
Novice

Promoting skin cancer on Hua Hin beach; no umbrellas

Post by okobieuk »

are there no umbellas/ sunbeds n hua hin beach/takiab as a 60+ couple whose wife has been treated for cancer all we want to do is relax under a umbrella and chill on a comfy sunbed we only aid 40 baht earlier last year if i have to lay on the sand ill probably end up in hospital with sunburn
Ginjaninja
Ace
Ace

Re: promoting skin cancer on beach/no umbrellas

Post by Ginjaninja »

Check out this link:

viewtopic.php?f=18&t=27565&hilit=beach+clean+up

The most severe sun-burn I've ever had was in Phuket a few years back sitting under an umbrella avoiding the sun. Some of these umbrellas are not U.V. resistant and the rays reflect off the sand and water.
Sun cream is the only line of defence.......
:cheers:
GN.
Takiap
Rock Star
Rock Star

Post by Takiap »

I was on Hua-Hin beach on Friday afternoon/evening and I can confirm that there were definitely still chairs and umbrellas there, although it seemed like everything had been packed up for the day. I must also say that the beach looked a lot better than it has looked ever since I moved here 10+ years ago. Not sure what the score is with Takiap beach, if they have cleaned that up as well or not.

Don't try to impress me with your manner of dress cos a monkey himself is a monkey no less - cold fact
hhfarang
Hero
Hero

Post by hhfarang »

I'm guessing you can still rent them individually now. They just don't have the pernament forest covering the entire beach.
My brain is like an Internet browser; 12 tabs are open and 5 of them are not responding, there's a GIF playing in an endless loop,... and where is that annoying music coming from?
faheem
Novice
Novice

Post by faheem »

are there no umbellas/ sunbeds n hua hin beach/takiab as a 60+ couple whose wife has been treated for cancer all we want to do is relax under a umbrella and chill on a comfy sunbed we only aid 40 baht earlier last year if i have to lay on the sand ill probably end up in hospital with sunburn

Amateur

Post by Artilery »

Having just booked our flights to Thailand, I was horrified to read about the ban on beach umbrellas and sunbeds.
Umbrellas are essential if you are not to get skin cancer.
If, like me, you have a bad back, then you cannot sit on a mat. You have to have a lounger or deck chair.
I also feel really sorry for the Thai people who are presumably now jobless, if they do not have their beach cafes and the ability to hire out beds and umbrellas.
If I had read this earlier I would have cancelled my trip and I shall certainly never come to Thailand again after some 60 visits to Thailand and 4 to Hua Hin.
Another loss to the local economy caused by the utter stupidity of those in power. :cuss:
This life is not a rehearsal for the real thing
Big Boy

Post by Big Boy »

If you're coming to Hua Hin, you should have a problem.
Championship Plymouth Argyle 1 - 0 Leicester City :dance: :dance: :dance: :dance:

Points 48; Position 18
dtaai-maai
Hero
Hero

Post by dtaai-maai »

Big Boy wrote:If you're coming to Hua Hin, you should have a problem.
I think BB meant to say "you shouldn't have a problem"!
This is the way
Big Boy

Re: Promoting skin cancer on Hua Hin beach; no umbrellas

Post by Big Boy »

:oops: :laugh: Yes, sorry - rushing to get to a hospital appointment.
Championship Plymouth Argyle 1 - 0 Leicester City :dance: :dance: :dance: :dance:

Points 48; Position 18
Takiap
Rock Star
Rock Star

Post by Takiap »

Artilery wrote:Having just booked our flights to Thailand, I was horrified to read about the ban on beach umbrellas and sunbeds.
Umbrellas are essential if you are not to get skin cancer.
If, like me, you have a bad back, then you cannot sit on a mat. You have to have a lounger or deck chair.
I also feel really sorry for the Thai people who are presumably now jobless, if they do not have their beach cafes and the ability to hire out beds and umbrellas.
If I had read this earlier I would have cancelled my trip and I shall certainly never come to Thailand again after some 60 visits to Thailand and 4 to Hua Hin.
Another loss to the local economy caused by the utter stupidity of those in power. :cuss:

To be fair, the people never had a legal job in the first place, and if you exploit loopholes in the system, then you should be ready for a crash.

Personally, I think the authorities should enforce the law, and I'm sure it will do no harm to tourist numbers. They are not saying umbrellas and chair are no longer allowed on the beach; they are just trying to prevent people from turning lovely beaches into ghettos.

Don't try to impress me with your manner of dress cos a monkey himself is a monkey no less - cold fact
sticks

Post by sticks »

they are only banned on Wednesdays so as it can be cleaned up and they have to be put away every night
sticks
Artilery
Amateur
Amateur

Post by Artilery »

Thanks for your replies.
Does that mean that the beach cafes to the left of the main beach access are all still there with loungers and wall to wall brollies (except on Wednesdays)?
As I remember the stall holders always did clear most of the chairs and brollies away at night, as otherwise they risked them being washed out to sea.
If that is the current situation, then that is fine.
It always seemed to me that Hua Hin had it just right. The 200m to the left of soi 61 offered the beach cafes with shade and comfortable chairs. The km or more to the right of soi 61 did not have any facilities and was open sand for those who preferred that type of beach. Everyone had a choice and everyone was happy :D
Art
Artilery
Amateur
Amateur

Post by Artilery »

Does anyone have any recent photos?
Thanks, A
europtimiste
Banned
Banned

Post by europtimiste »

Strange point of view of TAKIAP. He likes law enforcement. Most of us are here because we were fed up with strict law enforcement in our shit countries. We were happy here because of the cool implementation of laws. Of course some things had to be done for improvement of beaches. Using the word ghetto by Takiap is inapropriate. Beside of that I agree with ARTILERY that a lot of Thai people had already lost their jobs and this is increasing the opponents to this government.
STEVE G
Hero
Hero

Post by STEVE G »

europtimiste wrote:Strange point of view of TAKIAP. He likes law enforcement. Most of us are here because we were fed up with strict law enforcement in our shit countries. We were happy here because of the cool implementation of laws......
I don't consider the country I'm in is "shit" and I have no problem at all with the law enforcement here, (Luxembourg) what is a bigger problem is that it has no beaches and the weather is lousy.