Thinking of retiring to Hua Hin - what is important

Hua Hin general discussion, observations and chat. Hua Hin topics that don't really fit anywhere else.
lespaul1940
Novice
Novice

Thinking of retiring to Hua Hin - what is important

Post by lespaul1940 »

Hi after visiting Hua Hin for 15 years, and getting near to retirement the obvious thought is why not Hua Hin?

The question is, is this still a good Idea? In the past i have met people who are very happy, and others who regard it as the worst decision they have made.

Being already an Expat in Europe I am used to the compromises needed.

What is specifically challenging in Hua Hin/Thailand

Thanks

Les
hhfarang
Hero
Hero

Re: Thinking of retiring to Hua Hin - what is important

Post by hhfarang »

If you are a European expat, especially from the UK or Scandanavia you probably will like it here... for others, I'd recommend renting for a couple of years before you make the permanent decision.
My brain is like an Internet browser; 12 tabs are open and 5 of them are not responding, there's a GIF playing in an endless loop,... and where is that annoying music coming from?
oakdale160
Rock Star
Rock Star

Post by oakdale160 »

I have had the experience of listening to the unhappiness of two couples who on retirement moved to Thai. The problem in the husbands was magnified because they couldnt work out whether it was being retired or moving to Thai that was the problem. Perhaps its better to do it in two stages, first retire, then if happy being retired, move.
musungu
Professional
Professional

Post by musungu »

I do not think there is much doubt that those retired who live 3/4 months a year in their own country and the balance in Hua Hin are the most happy - it is really a matter of funding.
Prior Planning & Preparation Prevents Piss Poor Performance.
JamesWest
Ace
Ace

Post by JamesWest »

no one but yourself can answer this question...

where are you from?
what are you comparing hua hin to?
are you married?
are you a drunk like so many expats in Thailand?
do you suffer from depression?
what is your monthly budget?
what is your health like?
are you fat?
I really like this forum because there are no personal attacks. All the members contribute in a positive way to my posts.
GLCQuantum
Rock Star
Rock Star

Post by GLCQuantum »

JamesWest wrote:no one but yourself can answer this question...
are you married?
do you suffer from depression

are you fat?
Are you for real James?

I think there should be a system in place to guide people before they post. Unlike your system James, this one just has one criteria.

Are you a plonker?

If you can tick this box... Refrain from posting.
Lung Per
Legend
Legend

Post by Lung Per »

A friend is only one click away
hhfarang
Hero
Hero

Post by hhfarang »

do you suffer from depression?
what is your monthly budget?
are you fat?
None of these things were a problem for me UNTIL I moved to Thailand; now they all are... so that's what people need to ask themselves. What will you do and is your health suitable to living here and is your budget suitable to living here and what will you do with all the time you have on your hands (if you are retireing).
My brain is like an Internet browser; 12 tabs are open and 5 of them are not responding, there's a GIF playing in an endless loop,... and where is that annoying music coming from?
GLCQuantum
Rock Star
Rock Star

Post by GLCQuantum »

I'm not sure I understand.

If you are fat... Ya gonna be fat anywhere.

If you suffer from depression (I'm bipolar by the bye)... Ya gonna suffer with it anywhere.

I'm not sure how they could be determining factors as to whether you can enjoy yourself here or not.

:cheers:
theprice01
Professional
Professional

Post by theprice01 »

These retirement threads always seem to touch a few nerves.
One thing i have come to notice is a lot of expats here have come here after encountering problems at home (divorce, bad debt, or whatever) some seem to be retirement age, others not so.
...I tend to think, no matter how nice HuaHin is, it would be a lot harder to enjoy it with a cloud hanging over ones head, indeed, running away from problems may make them a lot worse
When nosy expats ask how can i live here without working, i reply, 'well, while you worked hard for 50 years, i worked smart for 5 years' :D
richard
Deceased
Deceased

Post by richard »

^^ Good comment

As a retire here I've never regretted it but it is a very personal thing.

My advise would be 'suck it and see'. In other words give it a try. Don't burn your boats until you are convinced it's what you want. Hey, the 'grass is always greener'.........

When a country seems idyllic to move to bear in mind that nowhere is perfect. They're things here which may irritate you to the point of going home. I occasionally moan about something and feel irritated and then reflect on what my situation would be like back in my home country.

You will see many moans and groans on this and other forums but at the end of the day, do they outweigh the moans and groans of people back home?

As I said 'suck it and see' :cheers:

HHF... your problem is your lifestyle. Will you cut down the booze and food when you return to the US of A ? :duck:
RICHARD OF LOXLEY

It’s none of my business what people say and think of me. I am what I am and do what I do. I expect nothing and accept everything. It makes life so much easier.
hhfarang
Hero
Hero

Post by hhfarang »

HHF... your problem is your lifestyle. Will you cut down the booze and food when you return to the US of A ?
Yes, because I'll be outside and be able to enjoy doing a lot more outdoor activities. Here, because my body can't tolerate the climate all I do is sit inside the house, eat, drink, moan on here, and watch TV.

Before I came here, even with working full time I still played golf, rode both on and off road bicycles regularly, jogged and did many other outdoor activities (even just long walks with the missus), including taking care of my own property and garden. The constant heat and humidity prevent me from doing any of that here and I have sunk into a very self destructive lifestyle simply because of the climate (and dust, dirt, uneven pavement, soi dogs, etc.). Here I dread going outdoors and only leave the house about once a week (or less) when I have to for some shopping, bill paying or other required task. Even those, I delegate to my wife whenever possible so I don't have to face the heat for a second. I shower, put on clean clothes and the walk from wherever the car is parked to wherever I'm going and no matter the distance it makes me wet and miserable and feeling dirty again, with eyes burning from sweat dripping from my forehead into them and on my glasses so I can't see. As you said, it's personal and I personally hate this climate.

I do have a couple of indoor exercise machines which I use regularly, and have stayed strong. but exercise for the sake of exercise indoors is not fun and gets boring after about an hour a day which gives me 23 hours sitting or laying around the house self destructing.

I've frequently said that if you're going to retire in Thailand, Hua Hin is the best place I've found and even with it's growth and increase in cost of living over the last ten years, I still feel that way. Chiang Mai would suit me better except for the air quality as I have asthma, but Hua Hin has everything a retiree could want, providing you have plenty of money (for things like travel and golf) and like this kind of climate.

Plus if I move back to the U.S. I'll probably automatically lose weight because I won't be able to afford to eat... :shock: :D :wink:
lespaul1940
Novice
Novice

Post by lespaul1940 »

Thanks for all the answers.
I am not surprised to see everything from helpful to the sad comments of the resident troll.
I did use the search function, but you have to ask the right question to get the right answer.
I am not trying to fulfill my 10 posts to see what is behind the green door, although what is restricted is always interesting ;)) (and these answers would all be separate posts)
Retirement or even life is easier if you have excess money, I was more interested in regulations, controls and restrictions applied to Farangs in Thailand

Les
Gérard
Professional
Professional

Post by Gérard »

hhfarang wrote:
HHF... your problem is your lifestyle. Will you cut down the booze and food when you return to the US of A ?
Yes, because I'll be outside and be able to enjoy doing a lot more outdoor activities. Here, because my body can't tolerate the climate all I do is sit inside the house, eat, drink, moan on here, and watch TV.

Before I came here, even with working full time I still played golf, rode both on and off road bicycles regularly, jogged and did many other outdoor activities (even just long walks with the missus), including taking care of my own property and garden. The constant heat and humidity prevent me from doing any of that here and I have sunk into a very self destructive lifestyle simply because of the climate (and dust, dirt, uneven pavement, soi dogs, etc.). Here I dread going outdoors and only leave the house about once a week (or less) when I have to for some shopping, bill paying or other required task. Even those, I delegate to my wife whenever possible so I don't have to face the heat for a second. I shower, put on clean clothes and the walk from wherever the car is parked to wherever I'm going and no matter the distance it makes me wet and miserable and feeling dirty again, with eyes burning from sweat dripping from my forehead into them and on my glasses so I can't see. As you said, it's personal and I personally hate this climate.

I do have a couple of indoor exercise machines which I use regularly, and have stayed strong. but exercise for the sake of exercise indoors is not fun and gets boring after about an hour a day which gives me 23 hours sitting or laying around the house self destructing.

I've frequently said that if you're going to retire in Thailand, Hua Hin is the best place I've found and even with it's growth and increase in cost of living over the last ten years, I still feel that way. Chiang Mai would suit me better except for the air quality as I have asthma, but Hua Hin has everything a retiree could want, providing you have plenty of money (for things like travel and golf) and like this kind of climate.

Plus if I move back to the U.S. I'll probably automatically lose weight because I won't be able to afford to eat... :shock: :D :wink:
Is that "living in Thailand" or "living in Huahin" ???
I think it is more like "living in a golden air-conditionned cell" anywhere...
Really sorry for you !
dtaai-maai
Hero
Hero

Post by dtaai-maai »

lespaul1940 wrote:I was more interested in regulations, controls and restrictions applied to Farangs in Thailand
For most people these are a nuisance rather than a serious problem and mostly involve immigration and other flirtations with bureaucracy. The fact is that in many ways, provided you don't take the piss and do your best to get along with the locals, there are fewer restrictions on your day-to-day activities than there would be at home.
This is the way