Approx Hua Hin resident population off season

Hua Hin general discussion, observations and chat. Hua Hin topics that don't really fit anywhere else.
Vince & Lin
Rookie
Rookie

Approx Hua Hin resident population off season

Post by Vince & Lin »

Hello,

I appreciate the knowledge here on the boards. We will be coming to Hua Hin from Chiang Mai in Feb, March and April and will be looking for a place to move at the end of May. We have have enjoyed Chiang Mai, but want to live at the beach for the foreseeable future.

Could someone give me an approximate number of the resident population of Hua Hin during the off season.

And also a guess for how high it rises during high season on weekends or major holidays?

What month do you begin to notice a large influx and is it mostly on the weekends or holidays?

Thank you for your time.
Lin
buksida

Re: Approx Hua Hin resident population off season

Post by buksida »

No official figures but I'd estimate the farang pop to be approx five thousand off season and over ten in high season (this year maybe lower).

The general pop of the town doubles at weekends when half of Bangkok arrives.
Who is the happier man, he who has braved the storm of life and lived or he who has stayed securely on shore and merely existed? - Hunter S Thompson
brianks
Guru
Guru

Post by brianks »

If you want to live near the beach then go farther south unless your addicted to the congestion city life brings you. Can't blame you for wanting to flee Chang Mai during the burning season where the air is just plain unhealthy. Look farther south as we moved 700 km south of Hua Hin to a laid back community on the east coast of the Gulf of Thailand. We can wave to Koh Samui from the shores of our vacant and beautiful beaches and coves and enjoy a real rural atmosphere where you can drive down the street and encounter few cars and no farang housing developments around. Big city services are all available 70km away in Surat Thani. Its also green all year around as there is no dry season here in Khanom.
Hobiecat
Professional
Professional

Post by Hobiecat »

Ten years ago I could go most of the day and not see another westerner during low season. Now a days you probably couldn't go 10 minutes. Buksida is probably pretty close on his estimate and increasing everyday. Hua Hin is no longer a sleepy little town it that's what your looking for.
Why is it called 'after dark' when it really is 'after light'?
Vince & Lin
Rookie
Rookie

Post by Vince & Lin »

Thanks for your replies. If it is alright I would like to continue this conversation.

We are really done with the congestion of Chiang Mai. I need to get out of the vehicle pollution. I realize everyone has different levels of tolerance. Do you feel the vehicle pollution is enough to sting the eyes and the smell of diesel enough for a mask?

We will not be driving a car or getting a scooter and therefore need to rely on green bus, taxi, tuk tuk ect. We love to walk and are looking forward to walking the beach daily. We also love to swim so a pool is on the top of our list.

We have talked about checking out south of HH as far as Prachaup City, but don't know if the transportation we need is there. We are not night people, we love nature, the sea and quiet. We have made a few friends both Thai and Farang here, and meet up for lunch or dinner every couple weeks.

I have chosen not to cook anymore (insert Happy Dance!) so we would like night time food carts or Thai restaurants available.

All insights and opinions about your experiences are more than welcome.
buksida

Post by buksida »

The traffic in Hua Hin is horrendous at weekends and public holidays, though actual pollution from it doesn't seem to be an issue.

If you like empty beaches and nature, limited nightlife and peace and quiet, Bangsaphan would be more suitable: http://www.bangsaphanguide.com

Though you will need your own transport there.
Who is the happier man, he who has braved the storm of life and lived or he who has stayed securely on shore and merely existed? - Hunter S Thompson
Dannie Boy
Hero
Hero

Post by Dannie Boy »

buksida wrote:The traffic in Hua Hin is horrendous at weekends and public holidays, though actual pollution from it doesn't seem to be an issue.

If you like empty beaches and nature, limited nightlife and peace and quiet, Bangsaphan would be more suitable: http://www.bangsaphanguide.com

Though you will need your own transport there.
I live near Cha Am, but the last couple of weekends I have had to travel to/from the south side of HH and on both occasions I have been pleasantly surprised at how light the traffic was on early Sunday pm driving back through the town and on towards Cha Am - maybe I was just lucky?
Rrikzee
Amateur
Amateur

Post by Rrikzee »

[quote="buksida"]The traffic in Hua Hin is horrendous at weekends and public holidays,

Are you serious buksida? Horrendous? have you ever been to Jakarta, Manila and even Bangkok. Now, that is horrendous.
Granted, Hua Hin is certainly busier at the weekends, but manageable.

I live 10K south and pretty near the beach and also many places to eat. If thats your fancy.
Vince & Lin
Rookie
Rookie

Post by Vince & Lin »

Rrikzee wrote:
buksida wrote:The traffic in Hua Hin is horrendous at weekends and public holidays,

Are you serious buksida? Horrendous? have you ever been to Jakarta, Manila and even Bangkok. Now, that is horrendous.

I live 10K south and pretty near the beach and also many places to eat. If thats your fancy.

Are you the south side of Khao Takiab Hill?
Rrikzee
Amateur
Amateur

Post by Rrikzee »

Vince & Lin wrote:
Rrikzee wrote:
buksida wrote:The traffic in Hua Hin is horrendous at weekends and public holidays,

Are you the south side of Khao Takiab Hill?
A little further south, nearer Khao Tao. :cheers:
buksida

Post by buksida »

Rrikzee wrote: have you ever been to Jakarta, Manila and even Bangkok.
You cant compare a tiny seaside town with a huge Asian metropolis capital city having a population of 15 million. :roll:

Maybe my choice of word was a little strong but when it takes you an hour to do 4 kilometers (any public holiday weekend in Hua Hin) I wouldn't have many good things to say about it.
barrys
Legend
Legend

Post by barrys »

Vince & Lin wrote:Thanks for your replies. If it is alright I would like to continue this conversation.

We are really done with the congestion of Chiang Mai. I need to get out of the vehicle pollution. I realize everyone has different levels of tolerance. Do you feel the vehicle pollution is enough to sting the eyes and the smell of diesel enough for a mask?

We will not be driving a car or getting a scooter and therefore need to rely on green bus, taxi, tuk tuk ect. We love to walk and are looking forward to walking the beach daily. We also love to swim so a pool is on the top of our list.

We have talked about checking out south of HH as far as Prachaup City, but don't know if the transportation we need is there. We are not night people, we love nature, the sea and quiet....

Hi Vince & Lin,

From your description, it sounds like Pak Nam Pran might well suit you. Just 25 km south of Hua Hin, good shopping possibilities and the sort of quiet life you're looking for.
We've recently made friends with another farang couple who moved here from Chiang Mai for the same reason, and they love it here.
Vince & Lin
Rookie
Rookie

Post by Vince & Lin »

Thank you barrys for the suggestion. We will check it out. As the Geeks we are, it shouldn't be too hard to keep in touch with this great forum. Thank you everyone!

Hi Vince & Lin,

From your description, it sounds like Pak Nam Pran might well suit you. Just 25 km south of Hua Hin, good shopping possibilities and the sort of quiet life you're looking for.
We've recently made friends with another farang couple who moved here from Chiang Mai for the same reason, and they love it here.[/quote]
traveller2
Professional
Professional

Post by traveller2 »

I was about to suggest the paknampran/khao kalok area, but Barry beat me to it.
We have stayed there several times and visit the area whenever we are in HH.
Good beaches and sea, nice people, unhurried and clean atmosphere.
I cant comment on buses as I either rent a scooter or truck when we visit. But travelling is easy and not much traffic.
You are 30/40 minutes drive south of HH and 10 minutes from Pranburi.
Also only 20 minutes from the Sam roi yot national park.
Regards

T2
wysiwyg (what you see is what you get)
Korkenzieher
Guru
Guru

Post by Korkenzieher »

I would also take a look at Prachuab city. I have toyed with moving there myself.

From your requirements, I suspect getting around town will be something of an issue for you. Realistically, only the main road - Petchkasem - is served with (Green) Baht buses. There is a second bus which runs a loop around the core of town, but it is going to severely restrict the areas you can reasonably expect to live in (without considerable walking alongside fairly unforgiving roads). Pollution here isn't bad, considering the weight of traffic, which is probably due to the reasonably consistent breeze / wind.

Khao Takiab, which is a strip development slightly south of HH. The green baht bus travels along that road (one terminus is in Takiab, not far from the beach) and you would therefore be relatively untroubled with the need for hinterland access. I'd suggest it is your best option to get your feet on the ground, if you are set on the HH area, and need public transport.

On the flip side, of course, motorcycle taxis and tuk-tuks will take you anywhere.
Had enough of the trolls. Going to sleep. I may be some time....