A lot of BIG Jellyfish at the moment

Hua Hin general discussion, observations and chat. Hua Hin topics that don't really fit anywhere else.
Drgonzo
Amateur
Amateur

Re: A lot of BIG Jellyfish at the moment

Post by Drgonzo »

One tennis ball sized blue sighted around 75 on Tuesday afternoon.
Big Boy

Post by Big Boy »

Not wanting to alarm people but the largest of what I saw 2 nights ago looked just Nereus' photo, but without the pink and whitish top part.
Championship Plymouth Argyle 0 - 1 Preston NE :cry: :cry: :cry: :cry:

Points 41; Position 18
PeteC

Post by PeteC »

Dangerous jellyfish found along Krabi

http://www.bangkokpost.com/news/general ... long-krabi
Governments are instituted among Men, deriving their just powers from the consent of the governed. Source
Big Boy

Post by Big Boy »

There were some unusual jellyfish on the beach tonight 6 to 9 inch diameter, but their tentacles seemed to go on for ever (well, maybe 6' :oops: ). I've never seen this variety before. In the torchlight, they were a yellowish colour.

Points 41; Position 18
Scout
Professional
Professional

Post by Scout »

2 days ago, one of the beach boys at KBA kite school received a nasty jellyfish sting while wading in 1 foot of water at Soi 75/1. Extremely painful, even after prompt treatment with vinegar to alleviate the chemical burn. I've personally experienced the same thing at this same spot in years past and witnessed many many crying children being carried out of the water with nasty stings. There's a good reason most experienced kite surfers wear the protective jellyfish pants / leggings with foot coverings and long sleeve shirts, I had to learn the hard way. I'm not 100% positive, but I don't think it's the great big jellyfish we see washed up on the beach that are the problem, I think the problem jellyfish are much much smaller and hard to see. I didn't see the jellyfish that stung me, but I sure did feel it !!!
Big Boy

Post by Big Boy »

If it was one of the ones I saw last night, you probably wouldn't have seen it - they had long tentacles. I haven't seen any of the really small ones (1" diameter or less) for a few weeks. The small ones give quite an effect washed up in the torchlight, like a lot of little jewels in the sand.

Points 41; Position 18
Hahuahin
Guru
Guru

Post by Hahuahin »

Is it so bad to swim at Hua Hin Beach? I went down to have a look at the beach / ocean this morning a bit North of Khao Takieb and it looked nice (was low tide) but yes not a swimmer in the water?? I love to swim in the ocean not only for the exercise but the feeling of freedom it gives to master the natural element but are put off by all the scary theories about Jellyfish! I Lived in South Thailand previously and this time of year difficult to not see a swimmer in the ocean every day the time I went down to the beach here this morning around 0830 Am. Btw, one beach hotel had a yellow flag up near the beach entrance but don`t the local Government have their own beach guards whit their own system included flags to inform the public!?

Thank you
hahuahin
RCer
Ace
Ace

Post by RCer »

This was on the beach at Khao Tao yesterday. Personally, I'm allergic to pain.
khao tao jelly.jpg
Big Boy

Post by Big Boy »

LOL, those are regular visitors to Hua Hin Beach all year around.

Points 41; Position 18
RCer
Ace
Ace

Post by RCer »

Big Boy wrote:LOL, those are regular visitors to Hua Hin Beach all year around.
Yes, but when there several at the same time, I turn chicken. :neener:
Pagey
Legend
Legend

Post by Pagey »

I was walking the beach yesterday afternoon and I saw a huge sea turtle type thing washed up dead. I've only ever seen one very small turtle on that beach which was earlier this year and I presumed that was one someone had dumped there.
'If you didn't have a wasted youth you wasted your youth'

Man in pub circa 1987.
PeteC

Post by PeteC »

A sad story, although it maybe more about the emotions involved when losing someone than jellyfish in Thailand, it's a good reminder. One part strikes me and that is the doctor who declared confidently it was drunk drowning when it was clear it was from a jellyfish, then trying to railroad her into signing an untranslated, false death certificate. Then again the police the next day also trying to cover up the real cause. Say and do anything not to tarnish the reputation of this place! Pete

https://www.theguardian.com/lifeandstyl ... ing-ghosts?
Governments are instituted among Men, deriving their just powers from the consent of the governed. Source