Sand flies in Hua Hin?

Hua Hin general discussion, observations and chat. Hua Hin topics that don't really fit anywhere else.
adammike

Sand flies in Hua Hin?

Post by adammike »

I have just read on a pattaya forum about a trip to Hua Hin that the local`s are reporting a bad sand fly problem this year is it true and is it spread over the whole beach? cheers.
Big Boy

Re: sand flys

Post by Big Boy »

I walk the beach (about 5 to 6 miles) most nights with my dogs - I've not suffered a bite from a sand fly for many years.

I did receive a lot if sand fly bites once, when on holiday here.

I guess it's a beach, and sand flies live there. It's just the luck of the draw. I know that when I was attacked, it wasn't pleasant, and I wasn't happy. IMHO Hua Hin doesn't have more of a problem than anywhere else.
Championship Plymouth Argyle 0 - 1 Preston NE :cry: :cry: :cry: :cry:

Points 41; Position 18
adammike

Re: Sand flies in Hua Hin?

Post by adammike »

I did google it and it seems they are most active at sunrise and sunset and they dont like wind,the best antidote seems to be a hot shower as hot as you can stand for 5 minuets,
Big Boy

Post by Big Boy »

adammike wrote:they are most active at sunrise and sunset
I'm going out this evening, so took the dogs at dusk. As the sun went to bed, our black dog and my son's black hair seemed to attract millions of the blighters. We had our own personal clouds.

There were still quite a few people on the beach, and they were being affected similarly, judging by the way so many were twirling items of clothing around their heads. There was even a security guard being kept awake by them. He had one of those electric tennis racquet fly squatters, and was producing quite a light and sound show above his head.

Getting back to the OP
the local`s are reporting a bad sand fly problem this year is it true and is it spread over the whole beach?
Yes, it was very bad this evening (no idea about other evenings). We walk about 5 miles, so fairly widespread. Is it worse than any other Thai beach at dusk? No idea.

Points 41; Position 18
Timb-uk
Rookie
Rookie

Post by Timb-uk »

Yes, it was very bad this evening (no idea about other evenings). We walk about 5 miles, so fairly widespread. Is it worse than any other Thai beach at dusk? No idea.
Any update please - is it still a problem and just as widespread ?
Would you advise bringing any fly repellent with us (we arrive over the weekend).?

Thanks
Big Boy

Post by Big Boy »

Sand flies only seem to be a problem at dusk. However, there is always a mosquito risk, so insect repellant is always advisable.

Points 41; Position 18
lomuamart

Post by lomuamart »

Not sure about that. I've been bitten whilst walking the beach in the mornings - although not recently. Another regular walker told me that he sometimes gets attacked on his afternoon walks. I certainly got quite badly bitten a few years ago one afternoon on Suan Son beach by the golf course.
The flies may be more prevalent at certain times of the year but I can't advise on that. Bring some repellant, as has already been said. Hopefully you won't need it.
Big Boy

Post by Big Boy »

Of course sand flies are there 24/7, I wasn't disputing that. However the OP was referring to, "A bad sand fly problem." The bad problem is at dusk. The fact security guards rise from their slumbers to attack the clouds with their electric tennis racquets at dusk bears that out. I personally will try to avoid the beach at dusk in future.

Points 41; Position 18
joyvee
Amateur
Amateur

Post by joyvee »

I know Aussie sandflies are most active around full moon. Females need extra protein from our blood to make good eggs. Mate around full moon so maybe worst time to be out at dusk. Info from Gold coast etymologist befoe google days. Better info on google nowadays.
Sabai Jai
Professional
Professional

Post by Sabai Jai »

I think low light levels other than at dusk leads to more sand fly activity (bit like the midges in Scotland) I have been badly bitten in the past sitting in deep shade reading a book at Suan Son. They are to be avoided, being badly bitten can make you quite ill.
aldo5
Rookie
Rookie

Post by aldo5 »

A couple of years ago my wife was being bitten by sandflies. It was quite bad and ugly scars stayed for a long time. The natives called the beasts "kapoeng".
alanr

Post by alanr »

I was bitten to hell in decemember while walking alone beach during daytime near soi 94
MajorBloodnok
Suspended
Suspended

Post by MajorBloodnok »

Hello, :)

you are aware of the fact that sand fly bites may transmit LEISHMANIASIS? :shock:

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Leishmaniasis :shock:

Wishing everyone a great Sunday afternoon & evening! :cheers:

Kind regards, :thumb:

MB aka 'Mike the Fritz'
A GRATEFUL GUEST OF THE KINGDOM OF THAILAND & HER PEOPLE