Clean Hua Hin's beaches movement - Trash Hero

Hua Hin general discussion, observations and chat. Hua Hin topics that don't really fit anywhere else.
Big Boy

Re: Clean Hua Hin's Beaches Movement

Post by Big Boy »

Litter, yes there will always be litter on beaches. Much of it will have originated elsewhere.

During this morning's beach walk, the tide was low, and my son picked up quite a few pieces of broken glass, which would have been quite nasty if somebody had stood on them while swimming.
Championship Plymouth Argyle 0 - 1 Preston NE :cry: :cry: :cry: :cry:

Points 41; Position 18
bsdk1960
Ace
Ace

Post by bsdk1960 »

When I go fishing in the lake west on the canal road before the new traffic light,I always have a plastic bag for collecting plastic and bottels the locals just throw in and around the lake.
There are sometimes a lot of locals fishing there. but the way they look at me when I collect it is hilirius and is worth the effort,and I just hope that maybe one thai would change his/her mind and do the same and take their things with them but I know TIT.

:cheers: :cheers:
Big Boy

Post by Big Boy »

bsdk1960 wrote:the way they look at me when I collect it is hilirius and is worth the effort,
Not trying to demean the good work you doing in ant way, but the Thais are probably judging you by Thai standards and assume you are collecting the rubbish to sell as recycling.

Keep up the good work.

Points 41; Position 18
bsdk1960
Ace
Ace

Post by bsdk1960 »

Big Boy wrote:
bsdk1960 wrote:the way they look at me when I collect it is hilirius and is worth the effort,
Not trying to demean the good work you doing in ant way, but the Thais are probably judging you by Thai standards and assume you are collecting the rubbish to sell as recycling.

Keep up the good work.

I know but at least they think something and a few have ask me why I do it

When I fishing with BIL up north I insist that we bring our own rubbish with us home and the first time he gave me the :shock: look but after I told him there would be no beer the idea sank in :D

:cheers: :cheers:
JimmyGreaves
Legend
Legend

Post by JimmyGreaves »

Beach so clean today from Hilton to Intercontinetal. Looks like new sand brought in!
Diplomacy is the ability to tell a man to go to hell so that he looks forward to making the trip
Ginjaninja
Ace
Ace

Post by Ginjaninja »

This is a pretty good article:
BBC - Plastic oceans: What do we know?

Do you really want to be eating seafood in Thailand??
:shock:
GN.
Khundon1975
Rock Star
Rock Star

Post by Khundon1975 »

They need one of these. lots of beaches cleaned in UK with similar machines.

beach-cleaners1.jpg
:cheers:
I've lost my mind and I am making no effort to find it.
uncle tom
Ace
Ace

Post by uncle tom »

The problem is not unique to Thailand though - its an Asian thing.
Not just asia..

A few years ago I walked a length of beach near Sandwich in Kent, UK, and was appalled by the unending line of washed up rubbish at the high water mark.

There was so much that I started studying those bits that had legible text to see where it had come from. Whilst the sea had removed the identity of most of it, that which could be read was overwhelmingly in French..
I may be drunk, Miss, but in the morning I shall be sober and you will still be ugly...
STEVE G
Hero
Hero

Post by STEVE G »

Ginjaninja wrote:
Do you really want to be eating seafood in Thailand??
:shock:
GN.
You ride a powerful motorbike on some of the most dangerous roads in the world and you're scared of prawns?
Ginjaninja
Ace
Ace

Post by Ginjaninja »

yes I'm molluscfried!

I acknowledge the inherit road risks in Thailand and take steps to mitigate harm.
Consuming plastic through various seafood is an education for me and I think I'll be avoiding it in future... not as exhilarating as cruising the countryside on Japan's finest.
PeteC

Post by PeteC »

buksida wrote:They're probably referring to the micro-plastics that emerge as a result of photo-degradation of polyethylene bags, just because something physically breaks up doesn't mean the chemical components of it are not still in the environment (they dont biodegrade). All of this eventually ends up in the ocean and in the food chain.

However, plastic bags have only been around for 50 years or so therefore no accurate measurements or studies have been made yet.
There has been quite a bit written about the above aspect in various papers over the past few months. They have found the plastic microscopic chemical components in just about every form of sea life there is, and of course when we/birds/other mammals eat the seafood it's in us/them as well. I saw on some Discovery show that there is now a sense of urgency about what this stuff will do: 1) to the longevity of sea life and their ability to reproduce. 2) What it will do to us.

This could be a real game changer for the human race if their study shows serous and irreversible damage across the board.....as in a slow extinction event. :(

Worse news is that there is so much plastic in the oceans, it can never all be collected. The only hope is proper disposal and hope for the best for the species already contaminate, but tell that to a backwards people in many countries of the world.

I don't remember the source of all this Buks, maybe the NYT and maybe the Guardian but it was a few weeks ago. I had forgotten about this thread and didn't post/link at the time. Sorry. Pete :cheers:
Governments are instituted among Men, deriving their just powers from the consent of the governed. Source
buksida

Post by buksida »

Anti-plastic bag campaign needs legal teeth to succeed
I can say with confidence that most of us have stashed away surplus plastic bags at home and we don't know what to do with them, besides dumping them together with other trash.

This has become a universal problem, one that countries around the world have been trying to tackle.

It is estimated that globally between 500 billion to one trillion bags are used each year, or roughly one million bags each minute. Statistics also show that Thais use 73 billion bags a year, making up over 20% of the country's total solid waste.

But we know that not all the used bags are properly disposed of. A lot of them can be found on the roads, in bushes, in canals, rivers, and finally in the oceans, wreaking havoc to the environment and wildlife along the way.

We have long ago learned that tortoises, birds, fishes and even exotic species such as camels, for instance, have been reported to have ingested plastic bags, mistaking them for food.

That's not all. Recent researches have revealed more worrying impacts due to plastic litter.

http://www.bangkokpost.com/opinion/opin ... to-succeed
Who is the happier man, he who has braved the storm of life and lived or he who has stayed securely on shore and merely existed? - Hunter S Thompson
Big Boy

Post by Big Boy »

buksida wrote:But we know that not all the used bags are properly disposed of.
An interesting line. I've tried Googling this, but I still don't know the 'proper' way to dispose of plastic bags. We normally get rid of our excess bags with the rest of our household waste. What should we be doing?

Points 41; Position 18
PeteC

Post by PeteC »

We keep each and every one of them and eventually they get used for wet garbage, dog poop or something messy. At least in this way they serve a few purposes before they go out to the garbage truck. Not hard to store them, just balled up and in a very large shopping bag in a kitchen cabinet can hold a hundred or more. Other than that we try not to use them at all. 1) decline any kind of bag at a shop 2) carry a few cloth reusable shopping bags with us. 3) Take those stackable interlocking Japanese type plastic boxes when ordering take-out to avoid getting styrofoam containers.

You never feel as if you're doing enough and that your efforts are meaningless in the big picture, but they're really not. Every little bit of action and good example helps. It's like donating a little money to a refugee or kid problem somewhere in the world. Many don't do it as they think it does no good. It really does,no matter how small. Pete :cheers:
Governments are instituted among Men, deriving their just powers from the consent of the governed. Source
Big Boy

Post by Big Boy »

Here you go, the BIB have been on the case today
clean_beach.jpg
I'll inspect their work with my dogs this evening :D

Points 41; Position 18