Hua Hin Forum Appeal 2015: Stride With Pride + Photos

Hua Hin general discussion, observations and chat. Hua Hin topics that don't really fit anywhere else.
Lev
Forum Admin
Forum Admin

Hua Hin Forum Appeal 2015: Stride With Pride + Photos

Post by Lev »

Following the success of last year's Sock Appeal, which happened more by accident than planning following a trip report by Big Boy, we have decided to launch another appeal this year. We have decided to go with the same cause - the school have approached us asking if we can assist with the supply of new shoes for the 250 children, which will cost about 87,500 Baht @ 350 Baht/pair. Of course, we should be able to secure discounts for bulk buying. Thai neighbours, who many met during January’s visit, from Big Boy’s Soi will also be contributing.

Lessons learnt from last year's appeal included:

- Timing. Visits to the Border School are strictly controlled. While the appeal was very successful, delivery of the socks was after the main cold period. Our next visit (at which Forum members will also be welcomed again) will be [Edit] 2 Sept 15 3 Sept 15, before the worst of the weather hits.

- Money. We need to control incomings and outgoings more formally. Although very grateful for all donations, Big Boy was a little uneasy being the custodian for large sums of money. To alleviate this a dedicated bank account has been set up to receive donations i.e.:

Bank: Kasikorn
Branch: Hua Hin Market Village Branch
A/c: 485-2-49533-8
Name: Suphannee Oliver

Of course, our timing is awful. Donors please beware that most Kasikorn services will close at 22:00hrs on 17 Jul’15 and not re-open until 22:00hrs on 19 Jul’15.

The school has supplied us with some ‘not too good’ photos to highlight the dilemma.

Photo 1 shows many kids are now wearing the flip flop shoes we bought last year for classroom use, as their main shoes. OK, they will protect the soles of the feet, but if you look at the video of the ride to the school last year, you will see the terrain many of these kids have to walk daily to and from school.

This walk will soon become a mud bath.
appeal1.jpg
appeal1.jpg (30.02 KiB) Viewed 6399 times
Photo 2 shows a child with his shoes secured with sticky tape (the socks look good though :D ).
appeal2.jpg
appeal2.jpg (27.31 KiB) Viewed 6399 times
Photos 3 and 4 show that not all shoes are in immediate need of replacement, but most are.
appeal3.jpg
appeal3.jpg (28.77 KiB) Viewed 6399 times
appeal4.jpg
appeal4.jpg (36.6 KiB) Viewed 6399 times
As has been said above, our target is to provide as many shoes as possible by the time of our [Edit] 2 Sept 15 3 Sept 15 visit.

January’s visit saw 9 car loads of people, food and gifts travel to the school near the Burmese Border. This included many forum members who were allowed to walk around the school and meet the children. We don’t think there was a dry eye in the house as the children sang The Kapom Song (Thank You).

As with January’s visit, forum members and their families will be very welcome to come along again. Food will be provided by the travelling Thai contingent, and as usual, there will be loads of ice cream. The children are absolutely fantastic, and you’ll want to take a couple home with you :D . Members will be permitted to interact quite freely, and help with preparation/serving of food, giving gifts, serving ice cream etc. They will be permitted to take as many photos as they wish. Last time we were able to squeeze everybody into the cars, and we would hope to do something similar this time.

Visit days are a huge treat for the kids, and everybody involved enjoys it.

Big Boy has agreed to administer the appeal/organize the visit/do the running around again this year.

If you would like to donate to the appeal:

From within Thailand:

Please transfer funds into the above bank account, and advise Big Boy by PM.

From the UK:

PM Big Boy, and he will make arrangements for you to transfer Sterling into his UK bank account. On the day he receives it, he will apply the current exchange rate, and credit the appeal account.

Rest of the World:

PM Big Boy, and he will make arrangements for you to transfer as cheaply as possible.

This is a great cause, which we all believe in. Thank you very much for your consideration. We look forward to seeing as many of you as possible on [Edit] 2 Sept 15 3 Sept 15.
huahinjim
Professional
Professional

Re: Hua Hin Forum Appeal 2015: Stride With Pride

Post by huahinjim »

Well done Mr & Mrs BB & Lev & Forum Team in arranging this after last year's success. Glad to help next week once the bank's back to 'normal'.
BOZ
Professional
Professional

Post by BOZ »

Awesome, we will be contributing again... Won't be able to make the trip this time as we arrive in LOS on the 6th of September... Pla and her family really had a great time I Jan!!! Too bad, I want to make one of these visits... I will coordinate with BB.... thanks Lev!!
Boz

Life is short, live it to the fullest!!!
Big Boy

Post by Big Boy »

Thank you very much guys for encouraging us with positive responses so quickly.

I hope your grandchildren aren't reading this Jim :wink: . We hope you and your wife can make it to the school this year - I don't think you'll be disappointed.

BOZ, I remember Pla and her family having a great time last January, and really getting stuck in - it's the best way to get the most out of it. It's such a shame they won't be there this time. As for you, don't worry, there will be further visits.

Something new this year, I will try to display progress pictorially e.g.:
This demonstrates the account's starting point.  We don't expect anything to happen until Kasikorn re-opens on Monday.
This demonstrates the account's starting point. We don't expect anything to happen until Kasikorn re-opens on Monday.
Appeal_Pic_01.png (69.62 KiB) Viewed 6255 times
Championship Plymouth Argyle 0 - 1 Preston NE :cry: :cry: :cry: :cry:

Points 41; Position 18
Big Boy

Post by Big Boy »

I am pleased to report that the banks are now open again, and donations are starting to be received. Thank you very much members of Hua Hin Forum.
Appeal_Pic_02.png
Appeal_Pic_02.png (71.36 KiB) Viewed 5989 times

Points 41; Position 18
PeteC

Post by PeteC »

What's your target date to be fully funded BB so you have time to shop before the visit?
Governments are instituted among Men, deriving their just powers from the consent of the governed. Source
Dan1
Amateur
Amateur

Post by Dan1 »

Fantastic stuff from BB and the rest of the team. I've sent a donation via BB's account and it was easy and painless to do. Always good to give something back to Thailand and to people who are less fortunate than ourselves.
Big Boy

Post by Big Boy »

prcscct wrote:What's your target date to be fully funded BB so you have time to shop before the visit?
I'm not ignoring you Pete, but I need to speak with the trustee. The trustee is going to source the shoes this time, so he is in the driving seat.

I will be away for a week from 23 Aug, so unless our trustee says different, I'm guessing 22 Aug. Last time when we were on our way to Bobae Market I was receiving donations on the road :D.

Trustee is in Bangkok at the moment, planning to be back tomorrow, so watch this space please.

Points 41; Position 18
Big Boy

Post by Big Boy »

The target date is 20 Aug 2015. Any money donated after that date will be put towards next year's appeal.

We currently have funding for 42.54 pairs of shoes, so things are progressing well with a month to go :D

Points 41; Position 18
Big Boy

Post by Big Boy »

Please note - the date for the visit of 2 Sept'15, which I provided to Lev was incorrect. It is in fact 3 Sept'15 - entirely my fault :oops:

Sincere apologies to anybody who has already made plans for the earlier date.

Points 41; Position 18
Big Boy

Post by Big Boy »

Yesterday's appeal pictorial:
Appeal_Pic_03.png
Appeal_Pic_03.png (70.96 KiB) Viewed 5662 times

Points 41; Position 18
kendo
Rock Star
Rock Star

Post by kendo »

Hi Big Boy I wish to make a donation can you please PM me your UK bank details.
Is Bangkok a place or a nasty injury.......Eric Morcombe.

Proud to be a Southampton FC Fan.
Big Boy

Post by Big Boy »

PM sent.

Points 41; Position 18
MashP
Novice
Novice

Post by MashP »

PM in inbox
Arlo
Professional
Professional

Post by Arlo »

Just an idea here. What about putting together something to raise some money? Examples are a spaghetti dinner, 5K run/walk, or a pancake breakfast? These are things done in the US that people get together for to raise money for different situations. Not sure if it would work here or not, just a thought. Maybe to much work, but the end result could be great and the function could be fun for all. Perhaps a somtam and bbq chicken get together might work better here.