Shopping Malls in Hua Hin

Hua Hin general discussion, observations and chat. Hua Hin topics that don't really fit anywhere else.
hhinner
Rock Star
Rock Star

Post by hhinner »

I read that it will have a Gourmet Market, same as at other Mall centres.
AJBangkok
Amateur
Amateur

Re: Shopping Malls in Hua Hin

Post by AJBangkok »

The Mall Group announced a massive project in phuket over a year ago and then......nothing
Nereus
Hero
Hero

Post by Nereus »

What's the story with East Square shopping mall? I though it had reopened, but today the front entrances were blocked off with shade cloth, and the entrance to the underground car park barricaded. Not looking to shop there, but was wanting some place to park around the Tessabaan. That mongrel car park behind the Tessabaan needs turning into a multi storied car park as well!
May you be in heaven half an hour before the devil know`s you`re dead!
caller
Hero
Hero

Post by caller »

AJBangkok wrote:The Mall Group announced a massive project in phuket over a year ago and then......nothing
That'll be built, but at the moment, they're still completing the massive extension in Korat as well as building a new Mall in Bkk.

They normally use their own directly employed labour force to build their Malls, but Blu port is being built by private contractors, due to the commitments elsewhere.
Talk is cheap
caller
Hero
Hero

Post by caller »

Nereus wrote:What's the story with East Square shopping mall? I though it had reopened, but today the front entrances were blocked off with shade cloth, and the entrance to the underground car park barricaded. Not looking to shop there, but was wanting some place to park around the Tessabaan. That mongrel car park behind the Tessabaan needs turning into a multi storied car park as well!
I stayed at the hotel behind East Sq a few weeks back, which has an entrance via the mall. For my last couple of days this entrance was locked and the only place in there that was open was a small massage shop that never, ever had any customers. Plus a food place to the side on soi76 itself. It still had two security guards though!
Talk is cheap
Big Boy

Post by Big Boy »

Nereus wrote:What's the story with East Square shopping mall? I though it had reopened, but today the front entrances were blocked off with shade cloth, and the entrance to the underground car park barricaded. Not looking to shop there, but was wanting some place to park around the Tessabaan. That mongrel car park behind the Tessabaan needs turning into a multi storied car park as well!
I've no idea, but it seems to be in White Elephant mode again. When they started refurbishing the building, they put up billboards indicating the numerous franchises that were about to open there. AFAIK, not one of those franchises actually happened. After 2 consecutive white elephants, and a major refurbishment, somebody must be seriously out of pocket.

Regarding the underground car park, it certainly looked open a couple of days ago, but I haven't had cause to use it since the refurbishment took place.
Championship Plymouth Argyle 0 - 1 Preston NE :cry: :cry: :cry: :cry:

Points 41; Position 18
Nereus
Hero
Hero

Post by Nereus »

Regarding the underground car park, it certainly looked open a couple of days ago, but I haven't had cause to use it since the refurbishment took place.
Both ends had portable steel barriers across them today. I guess that strange street level ramp on the west side next to the entrance is what caller mentioned?
caller
Hero
Hero

Post by caller »

Nereus wrote:Both ends had portable steel barriers across them today. I guess that strange street level ramp on the west side next to the entrance is what caller mentioned?
No, I was referring to the pedestrian entrance from the hotel car park (entrance next to the ramp down to the mall car park) to the Mall - two sets of double doors. I used to walk through there to get into town. Just before I left the double doors were padlocked shut.
Talk is cheap
Nereus
Hero
Hero

Post by Nereus »

caller wrote:
Nereus wrote:Both ends had portable steel barriers across them today. I guess that strange street level ramp on the west side next to the entrance is what caller mentioned?
No, I was referring to the pedestrian entrance from the hotel car park (entrance next to the ramp down to the mall car park) to the Mall - two sets of double doors. I used to walk through there to get into town. Just before I left the double doors were padlocked shut.
Ok, thanks caller. I could not make out what it was from across the other side of the street, but I think that I saw the doors. That narrow entrance hardly looks big enough for a car. :cheers:
Nothappyjan

Post by Nothappyjan »

Noticed yesterday a large sign draped over one side of the frontage that Blue Port will open on October 1.
Cannot for the life of me see how it will be sustainable in the long term. Sure it will be busy at first but Thais paying western prices for luxury goods doesn't equate.
Shopping Malls need huge volumes of passing pax to be successful.
The connection to the Intercontental will help a little, however, I think it will be similar to River City in Bangkok.
GLCQuantum
Rock Star
Rock Star

Post by GLCQuantum »

Thais paying western prices for luxury goods doesn't equate.
I'll think you'll find that those Thai weekenders, and some full timers of Hua Hin, can afford 'western prices for luxury goods' just fine.
caller
Hero
Hero

Post by caller »

Nothappyjan wrote:Cannot for the life of me see how it will be sustainable in the long term. Sure it will be busy at first but Thais paying western prices for luxury goods doesn't equate..
I'm sure the Mall group will have done their homework, and I suspect it will be a mix of the companies high end stores in Bkk with the more modest fair on offer at the various Malls in Bangkok and Korat. I think prices for some luxury goods are higher in Thailand than Europe.
Talk is cheap
oakdale160
Rock Star
Rock Star

Post by oakdale160 »

i think MV must be very nervous
Pleng
Legend
Legend

Post by Pleng »

I doubt MV is that nervous. The target customer base is totally different.
The investor in this project hasn't had a failed venture in Hua Hin yet, so I don't see any reason for this to be his first (failure)
Nothappyjan

Post by Nothappyjan »

On reflection and listening to what others have said I think you are all probably right. The target market will be those staying at the Intercontinental which is linked to the Bluport Mall. If they can afford to stay there then there is high probability of them desiring and affording luxury items.
Coupled with this will be the Bangkok weekenders filling in their time and impressing all around them by buying up Pierre Cardin etc.
The great unwashed will visit in their droves, gaze and leave.