Police to get helmet cams?

Hua Hin general discussion, observations and chat. Hua Hin topics that don't really fit anywhere else.
Big Boy

Police to get helmet cams?

Post by Big Boy »

This is being discussed on social media. They look similar to my GoPro, so what happens if you dispute an offence? Do you have to go to the station with them to view your alleged misdemenor on a PC?
12931077_10205331000469352_3812855082347680886_n.jpg
12931077_10205331000469352_3812855082347680886_n.jpg (42.77 KiB) Viewed 4866 times
Championship Plymouth Argyle 1 - 0 Leicester City :dance: :dance: :dance: :dance:

Points 48; Position 18
usual suspect
Ace
Ace

Re: Police to get helmet cams?

Post by usual suspect »

The big debate is if the RTP actually take any action to any driving offence caught on camera..?
Every time I sit at the traffic lights on Chomsin/Petkasem there's a speeding car/pick-up flies thru' on red.
Or right ouside the police box there's a squeal of tyres as someone does an illegal U-turn.
Yes there's cameras all around this Jtn, but do any fines/etc ever arise from video evidence..?

BUT..dare I say the times they are (albeit slowly) changing..maybe the Gen. IS going to prompt some direct action out there on the roads..? Maybe this is the start of a new hi-tech phase of collecting tea-money..?
hhinner
Rock Star
Rock Star

Post by hhinner »

Wonder how long the batteries last.
Big Boy

Post by Big Boy »

I'm thinking it could actually work against the BIB. Every time I've been scammed (never in Hua Hin), the BIB has been so convincing, I've almost believed that I'd committed the crime. In such cases, the filmed evidence will prove the BIB to be a liar.

Problem is, do you make a contribution to the tea fund and be on your way, or do you go back to the station, and prove him to be a liar?
Championship Plymouth Argyle 1 - 0 Leicester City :dance: :dance: :dance: :dance:

Points 48; Position 18
centermid7
Banned
Banned

Post by centermid7 »

OMG - fantasy land or wishful thinking from those that are responding in some sort of "hopeful" way to this thread?

Somebody is stiffing somebody for the purchases of these things and if they ever really need to see what might be on there they won't be working.

Just like about 90% of all of the govt CCTV in Thailand - they don't work. In many cases there is NO camera in the housing.
HHTel
Hero
Hero

Post by HHTel »

These are the same people who have stopped motorcyclists with a helmet cam saying it's illegal to have them.

We all know that when stopped, pointing to your cam usually results in being waved on.

On a different note but still involving a cam, I received a speeding ticket by mail. A perfectly clear picture of the car and the data showed the co-ordinates and a speed of 138 kph. I was driving past Samut Sakhon on the way to the airport to pick up my mother in mid morning. My tank is 14 years old and showing the signs of an aged lady. Last week I tried it on the Cha-am road. It reached 120 with no problem then struggled to 125. No chance can it do 138. Then I looked at the picture. What's that just a couple of feet from my tailpipe ------ a bloody tuk-tuk! The fine is only 400 baht so I''ll just pay it. Not worth the hassle of arguing. BUT another THAI SCAM.
kendo
Rock Star
Rock Star

Post by kendo »

The new buzz words will be "camera sleeping" cough cough. :thumb:
Is Bangkok a place or a nasty injury.......Eric Morcombe.

Proud to be a Southampton FC Fan.
aragon
Professional
Professional

Post by aragon »

Are those things for real? Surely not! When you compare them to the body cams being worn by cops in the US & UK, these look positively prehistoric, not to mention bloody ludicrous. If I was one of the BIB I'd be seriously embarrassed to be out and about with that perched on the top of my noggin :laugh: :laugh: :laugh:
“He has all the virtues I dislike and none of the vices I admire.” Sir Winston Churchill

Life isn't like a bowl of cherries or peaches, it's more like a jar of Jalapenos--what you do today, might burn your ass tomorrow......
Big Boy

Post by Big Boy »

HHTel wrote:I received a speeding ticket by mail. A perfectly clear picture of the car and the data showed the co-ordinates and a speed of 138 kph. I was driving past Samut Sakhon on the way to the airport to pick up my mother in mid morning. My tank is 14 years old and showing the signs of an aged lady. Last week I tried it on the Cha-am road. It reached 120 with no problem then struggled to 125. No chance can it do 138.
I'm not doubting what you say HHTel, and I guess each camera will be slightly different. However, when I was caught, the camera probably showed about 10-15 kph less than I was doing. Mrs BB doesn't let me do those speeds any more :oops:

Points 48; Position 18
centermid7
Banned
Banned

Post by centermid7 »

aragon wrote:Are those things for real? Surely not! When you compare them to the body cams being worn by cops in the US & UK, these look positively prehistoric, not to mention bloody ludicrous. If I was one of the BIB I'd be seriously embarrassed to be out and about with that perched on the top of my noggin :laugh: :laugh: :laugh:
I absolutely agree - they do look goofy! Maybe they are getting them from the same outfit that sold the military those GT200 fake bomb detectors?
NOKYAI
Ace
Ace

Post by NOKYAI »

Keystone Kops to Tellytubbies!
Enjoying 'Retirement'....So many jobs to do, I don't know how I ever had time to work!