Is Hua Hin safe anymore?

Hua Hin general discussion, observations and chat. Hua Hin topics that don't really fit anywhere else.
Spitfire
Addict
Addict

Re: Is Hua Hin safe anymore?

Post by Spitfire »

That might well be true Kendo.
Resolve dissolves in alcohol
Norseman
Rock Star
Rock Star

Post by Norseman »

No, and I do agree with Spitfire.
Thailand has changed for the worst and this has happened very slowly.
I've been here for 12 years and the Thai youth mentality have changed from OK to not so OK.
I have a stepson of soon 18 y.o. and if you really believe that the Thais don't change, (just like us) then you're wrong.
They change.
Some to the good others to the bad.
Just like everybody else in the world.
We all have our own experiences but this is all just like private experiences.
Thailand has changed.
No question about it.
STEVE G
Hero
Hero

Post by STEVE G »

There has been a bit of an explosion in drug abuse amongst young Thais in the last 5-10 years that doesn't ever seem to make the news. We don't let our step-son go back to the village in Issan anymore because it's getting so bad.
buksida

Post by buksida »

Obviously with the explosion in handheld camera smartphones and the likes of Farcebook we're getting access to a lot more violent video footage than we ever did before so we're going to see a lot more ...

... but I tend to agree with the above, having lived here for nearly 20 years, Thailand has definitely become more violent and there is a lot more animosity directed at foreigners than there ever was before. Whether this is simply because there are a lot more foreigners here now ... or those in power have stoked the fires of nationalism to almost rabid levels remains to be seen.
Who is the happier man, he who has braved the storm of life and lived or he who has stayed securely on shore and merely existed? - Hunter S Thompson
Bamboo Grove

Post by Bamboo Grove »

"Naklengs" have always been around. I heard about them in -89 when I started living in Thailand. Whether the problem is more serious now or just more widely reported, I don't know.
JW
Rock Star
Rock Star

Post by JW »

16 years here, many late nights out till the wee hrs..never had a sniff of an issue. The attack on my dad in 2003 was down to a scorned girlfriend and dad didnt know the ropes until it was to late..the girl in question was a wrong un and cant come back to HH.
Bottom line with the horrible Song Kran incident is that if the foreigners had walked on then nothing would have happened..if something is brewing walk away. No condoning the attack,, especially the kick the old lady received but tourists should be given more information about how to be respectful and polite.
JamesWest
Ace
Ace

Post by JamesWest »

When I was in Korat last year for Songkran, during the daytime, Thai teenagers were very carefully wiping your face with wet powder, no problem.

In Binabaht on the night of the attacks, teenage Thai boys were rubbing the mixture in your face, over your eyes and mouth, very aggressively. Someone mixed some sort of irritant in the powder and I had to wash it off, as my face started burning.

I was wearing safety glasses.

I have to say Songkran at night to me feels more like Halloween in the USA, were as a teenage boy I got into all sorts of mischief.

As for HH being safe, I would worry more about getting killed crossing the street than getting attacked.
I really like this forum because there are no personal attacks. All the members contribute in a positive way to my posts.
kendo
Rock Star
Rock Star

Post by kendo »

[quote="
As for HH being safe, I would worry more about getting killed crossing the street than getting attacked.[/quote]

I tend to agree with that sentiment. Apply the same common sence you would in your own country and a little bit more. New year in any tourist area or boozed fueled city centre has the catalist to go off. I enjoy my beer for me I would go out about 2 and home around 10 before it get a bit clicky.
Is Bangkok a place or a nasty injury.......Eric Morcombe.

Proud to be a Southampton FC Fan.
Stargeezer
Professional
Professional

Post by Stargeezer »

I think that Hua Hin and Thailand is just as safe as a lot of places in the world.
As some other commenters say,, it is a foreign country so know that fact and try to
be careful if you are out and about too late, especially during one of the
holidays. I was in Hua Hin two years ago on New Years Eve. I stayed at the
U Turn bar until after Midnight, then I walked all the way from there to Soi
94 and back of the tracks about one km. There were a few others still lucky to
catch tuk tuks and other cabs, but unfortunately for me, I walked as the wait time was long for
the taxis and tuk tuks. I only seen one argument , and no fights that night, and my walk
to my rented apartment was uneventful. When people visit Thailand and other countries,
Do try to read about the customs a bit and then be careful! If you stay out late, be extra careful.
Geezer
Pluto is my favorite planet!, especially now that we all can see close up
pictures of it.
gerryha

Post by gerryha »

Its not quite fair to say that around the wold youths + booze equals mindless violence. It seldom manifests itself in youths + booze = severe beating up elderly people. Lets not forget the elephant in the room, in most countries this would be treated as a race crime.
Stargeezer
Professional
Professional

Post by Stargeezer »

Hua Hin is as safe as anywhere in Thailand, and I feel safer here than in Pattaya.
I feel safer in the Jomtien beach area of Pattaya, but the mix of tourists are different,
than the tourists in Hua Hin. I tend not to be out after midnight, as I have seen many
people getting drunk by then, and I would prefer not to be driving amongst them after
they head for their homes, and hotels. As many commenters say, keep your wits about you
do not prevoke anyone and keep your hands to yourself. Most of the time that is enough
to enjoy your stay in Thailand without getting beat up.
Geezer
Pluto is my favorite planet!, especially now that we all can see close up
pictures of it.
keepitfun
Amateur
Amateur

Post by keepitfun »

The ratio of good vs bad things happening after midnight reduces rapidly in any city. Personally I'm happier out late in Hua Hin than Melbourne
Geko
Professional
Professional

Post by Geko »

stretch
Professional
Professional

Post by stretch »

try walking the streets of Britain late at night .in some areas clubland for instance the police are walking in 3 and 4s the world has changed .we are all getting older in the 70s we would have a fight at the drop of a hat its called youth hua hin is still very safe compared with sadly britain