Is Hua Hin safe anymore?

Hua Hin general discussion, observations and chat. Hua Hin topics that don't really fit anywhere else.
Bevs
Novice
Novice

Is Hua Hin safe anymore?

Post by Bevs »

My wife and I have been coming to hua hin for six years now and love the place in fact we have been making plans to retire to hua hin full time, but following these brutal attacks we are left wondering if the Thai people have had enough of us and want us out ?
RCer
Ace
Ace

Re: Is Hua Hin safe anymore?

Post by RCer »

I'd think a single problem that happened in the location of most of the bars, late at night, while all participants were likely heavily intoxicated, is not much to base a decision on.
dtaai-maai
Hero
Hero

Post by dtaai-maai »

I agree with RCer.
So many lessons to be learned from that awful incident.
If you are going to stay out until 2 a.m. try to have an arrangement with a tuk tuk to pick you up (obviously not possible for the incident in question).
Keep your hands to yourself whatever the provocation, don't get involved in an argument, keep walking.
If you think about it, this is probably sensible behaviour anywhere in the world in a bar district at 2 a.m.
This is the way
STEVE G
Hero
Hero

Post by STEVE G »

dtaai-maai wrote: Keep your hands to yourself whatever the provocation, don't get involved in an argument, keep walking.
If you think about it, this is probably sensible behaviour anywhere in the world in a bar district at 2 a.m.
Yes, that is pretty much my thoughts, I was in one of those bars in that location earlier on the day of the attack and it was quite evident that some of the young Thais in the area were getting into a condition where it was best to not be around them.
Khundon1975
Rock Star
Rock Star

Post by Khundon1975 »

Bevs As said by others, keep out of the bar areas late at night and you are very safe.

This type of incident is no different to other bar areas, all over the World.
The mix of youth, drink and drugs, is no different in Hua Hin, to many cities anywhere you may go.

Stay clear and enjoy Hua Hin.

:thumb:
I've lost my mind and I am making no effort to find it.
MajorBloodnok
Suspended
Suspended

Post by MajorBloodnok »

Dear 'Bevs',

no need to worry unless you & your wife are bent on frequenting such places in the wee hours during Songkran!

Kind regards,

MB aka 'Mike the Fritz'
A GRATEFUL GUEST OF THE KINGDOM OF THAILAND & HER PEOPLE
stretch
Professional
Professional

Post by stretch »

lets be honest the way of the world today .if we are going to let every incident scare us we will never leave the house then the thugs have taken over. Go out but use your wits and remember a THAi loses face if they walk away
seascape
Novice
Novice

Post by seascape »

I don't understand how in a crowded bar area, no one picked up a beer bottle and whacked those punks!
pharvey

Post by pharvey »

seascape wrote:I don't understand how in a crowded bar area, no one picked up a beer bottle and whacked those punks!
Seriously...........
"Hope is a good thing, maybe the best of things" - Yma o Hyd.
Siani
Legend
Legend

Post by Siani »

:idea: Where were the tourist police? :idea:
Spitfire
Addict
Addict

Post by Spitfire »

Maybe the question should be "Is Thailand safe anymore?"

The answer is 'yes' but it's not the country it used to be and the 'land of smiles' BS etc is getting closer every day to not being the case.

It's still cool....but not as cool as what it used to be. :|
Resolve dissolves in alcohol
kendo
Rock Star
Rock Star

Post by kendo »

Spitfire wrote:Maybe the question should be "Is Thailand safe anymore?"

The answer is 'yes' but it's not the country it used to be and the 'land of smiles' BS etc is getting closer every day to not being the case.

It's still cool....but not as cool as what it used to be. :|

Maybe Spitfire you've been here so long its a much of a much.
Is Bangkok a place or a nasty injury.......Eric Morcombe.

Proud to be a Southampton FC Fan.
oakdale160
Rock Star
Rock Star

Post by oakdale160 »

But it isall symptomatic of the fact that they need us or rather our money and they just hate that fact
Spitfire
Addict
Addict

Post by Spitfire »

Maybe Kendo....but I don't think I said anything crazy there. I reckon that's probably about right.....it's not the country now that it was when many of us moved here.

I know everything changes. And I might be romantic for the "yesterday" Thailand.....and I'm open to disagreeing opinions.

Just that these days I have major reservations about investing anything here as within 24 hours everything can do a 180.....not good imo.

No continuity or reliable laws...everything changes in a 'click of the fingers'.....Hmmmmmm
Resolve dissolves in alcohol
kendo
Rock Star
Rock Star

Post by kendo »

Spitfire wrote:Maybe Kendo....but I don't think I said anything crazy there. I reckon that's probably about right.....it's not the country now that it was when many of us moved here

I think you would be far more disappointed if you were back here mate. I think society in general is getting more violent or is it just more highlighted in this digital age.
Is Bangkok a place or a nasty injury.......Eric Morcombe.

Proud to be a Southampton FC Fan.