Some question about sea, riding bike and life in Hua Hin

Hua Hin general discussion, observations and chat. Hua Hin topics that don't really fit anywhere else.
Grinvich_
Novice
Novice

Some question about sea, riding bike and life in Hua Hin

Post by Grinvich_ »

Hi, friends.
Got some question about life in Hua Hin. I was living several months in Pattaya about 5 years ago and visited Hua Hin at the end of my trip. Liked it very much. Clean beaches and sea (as far as I remember). Quite place and there was everything I need at the same time. But there were some problems with condos. I mean there were only few of them.
Now I'm thinking about visiting Hua Hin with my family (me, wife and 4-years old baby) for 1-2 month in January-March. Want to relax, work and train a bit, so there are some questions:
1. Want to train swimming (swim about 2-3 km along beach) and road bike. I read some threads and it's written that water is dirty and there are many jelly-fishes now. Is it possible to find beach with clean water where I can swim or will it be dangerous and disgusting because of the water color?
2. How about riding RR bike on the roads? Is it safe or not?
3. According to airbnb site there are many condos now in HuaHin. What part of HuaHin is better to stay with child? Looking for something 20-25 THB per month.
4. What about internet in HuaHin? 5 years ago wi-fi was really bad even in Pattaya.

Thank you.
Big Boy

Re: Some question about sea, riding bike and life in Hua Hin

Post by Big Boy »

Welcome to the forum Grinvich.

1a. The water is not crystal clear as you would find much further South, but it compares very favourably with the water in Pattaya.

1b. There are jellyfish everywhere. I don't think anywhere in Asia is better than anywhere else. It's luck of the draw. At least Hua Hin isn't having beaches closed as they are in Phuket and Samui because of the danger.

2. Bike, motorcycle, car etc can be dangerous anywhere in Thailand. I have riden my bike all over, and I notice that cyclists are treated with a lot more caution than motorcyclists. There are a lot of cyclists in the area, and I am not aware of any accidents. They are also building a lot of cycle tracks in the area.

3. Can't comment on condos, although quite a few advertise they are family friendly.

4. I think my Internet is excellent. I pay for a cheap package from True, and receive speeds in excess of 30Mbps regularly, often exceeding 50Mbps.
Championship Plymouth Argyle 0 - 1 Preston NE :cry: :cry: :cry: :cry:

Points 41; Position 18
buksida

Post by buksida »

In addition to the above ...

1) Hua Hin is not known for clean/clear water, you'll need to go further south to Prachuap and beyond. The jellies are mostly prevalent during September to November, though you may get the odd one at other times.

2) By RR I take it you mean a bike big/race bike? Yes, there are many bikers here and a number of local groups that arrange weekly rides. Try Facebook or the motoring section for more info: viewforum.php?f=44

3) There are literally hundreds of condos for rent around Hua Hin, for kids the beach side of the main road would be better, there are some listed here: http://www.propertyhuahin.net/property. ... perpage=10

4) Internet downtown is very good these days, have a look at this section for more experiences with each provider: viewforum.php?f=15
Who is the happier man, he who has braved the storm of life and lived or he who has stayed securely on shore and merely existed? - Hunter S Thompson
Grinvich_
Novice
Novice

Post by Grinvich_ »

Thank you so much. I appreciate your fast response.
If swim with glasses for example at 2 meters depth, will I see bottom? Or may be you can compare water with Koh Lan? And I heard there was a pollution problem in Hua Hin. Has it gone completely already?

I guess jellies might be the real problem for me. Water is too hot to wear wetsuit and I'm really afraid of them ) May be I have to look for condo with big swimming pool. By the way, are there any 25/50 meters swimming pools in Hua Hin?

By RR I meant roar race cycles. Like these: http://img.wallpaperfolder.com/f/79E4C2 ... s-cave.jpg
I have riden my bike all over, and I notice that cyclists are treated with a lot more caution than motorcyclists
Great. I rode bike a lot in Pattaya and there was no problem. But your speed is the same with speed of other people on the road. When you ride a cycle you ride much slower and that's why I'm not sure how careful the others on the road.
RCer
Ace
Ace

Post by RCer »

Best swimming I've seen is Cha-am or Khao Tao. I live 50m from the beach in Khao Tao. Its not as nice as Phuket, but few people too, even on the weekend. However, there are no amenities on the beach either.

They just finished a very nice bike riding path here. There is also little traffic.

A few condos scattered around.
RCer
Ace
Ace

Post by RCer »

Just an additional thought:

This is the gulf. The water is not going to be as nice as the open ocean. There is land on 3 sides.
Grinvich_
Novice
Novice

Post by Grinvich_ »

RCer, I've just looked through the pictures, I know the place. Visited it during my short stay in Hua-Hin and liked it too.

Thanks a lot guys.
Don't wanna make another thread to ask. Do you know if it is possible to travel all over the Thai beach on the rented car or not? I guess they didn't allow to travel far away on the rented bike but I don't know about cars.
Big Boy

Post by Big Boy »

Grinvich_ wrote:Do you know if it is possible to travel all over the Thai beach on the rented car or not? I guess they didn't allow to travel far away on the rented bike but I don't know about cars.
I've done a lot of miles in rented cars - stopped many times by police. Never had a problem.
Championship Plymouth Argyle 0 - 1 Preston NE :cry: :cry: :cry: :cry:

Points 41; Position 18
wmeier5
Novice
Novice

Post by wmeier5 »

I live in the Southern part of the city, Phetkasem Road and Soi 112. My Condo, Baan Kiang Fah, has a 20M pool that I use every other day. Early mornings it is not busy but evenings and weekends it does attract kids and families. There are other units available via Property agents or Air BnB. First Choice and Sea Craze nearby and both have lap pools. Sea Craze is further South in Khao Takiab. Prices can vary from 10,000 to 30,000+
I have swam in the Gulf about four times in six months. I find the beaches are better South of Hua Hin all the way to Chumpon but like someone already said this is the Gulf. However, the sunrises are great, the sound, smell, and calming are ever present.
Good luck and enjoy.
Nick NCFC

Post by Nick NCFC »

[quote="Grinvich_"

By RR I meant roar race cycles. Like these: http://img.wallpaperfolder.com/f/79E4C2 ... s-cave.jpg

.[/quote]

Very active Road cycling group here called Hua Hin roadies, regular fast rides on very safe and peaceful routes with great road surfaces. You can find us on Facebook and details of rides.