Flooding in Petchaburi and Prachuap

Hua Hin general discussion, observations and chat. Hua Hin topics that don't really fit anywhere else.
Bluesky
Guru
Guru

Re: Flooding in Petchaburi and Prachuap

Post by Bluesky »

Travelled through AM today northbound carriageway travelling quite slowly with deeper water on the left hand side. used extreme right hand lane without any problems. Boats were plying the frontage road loaded with water and other essentials. Not a good scenario fro residents and businesses in low lying areas. Southbound carriageway passable in extreme right hand lane only with smaller vehicles making hard work of it.
'Diplomacy is the art of telling people to go to hell in such a way they ask for directions'. -Winston Churchill-
Bluesky
Guru
Guru

Post by Bluesky »

Just arrived back in HH from BKK both north and southbound carriageways free from floodwater. Still some pounding along the frontage roads.
'Diplomacy is the art of telling people to go to hell in such a way they ask for directions'. -Winston Churchill-
bsdk1960
Ace
Ace

Post by bsdk1960 »

looks fun, but not very wise

:cheers: :cheers:
Nereus
Hero
Hero

Post by Nereus »

Have to be careful with this one. Mods please delete if not appropriate.

Navy sends 60 'water pushers' for Phetchaburi floods

http://www.bangkokpost.com/news/general ... uri-floods

......................................................................................
Need somebody a lot better at maths than I am:

"Formally stated, Newton's third law is: For every action, there is an equal and opposite reaction".

To me that means the forces on the boat from the propeller, will try and cause the boat to go upstream. Obviously, the boat has to be anchored against doing this, but surely a big part of the forces involved will be absorbed by the boat to hold it against whatever is restraining it.

But, add to that the drag caused by the stream of water coming from the propulsion unit against the static water, and there must be very little effective force left to do anything? Just how much affect does this remaining force have on moving the flood water, and just how far does that affect reach before it dissipates?

In my experience all that will happen is that the propulsion unit will just cause a big wave of turbulence, and rapidly destroy the propeller due to cavitation, if that is what they are using. There may be some small advantage if using a water jet type of propulsion unit, but in either case the overall result is questionable. :?
May you be in heaven half an hour before the devil know`s you`re dead!
Terry
Suspended
Suspended
Location: At Hua Hin Fishing Lodge, Hin Lek Fai most of the time.......

Post by Terry »

^^^ Totally agree - a complete and utter waste of time.
BUT - of course there is the political gain of being SEEN to be doing something............. :duck:
Nereus
Hero
Hero

Post by Nereus »

More rain and flood to partially hit Phetchaburi

http://www.bangkokpost.com/news/general ... hetchaburi

PHETCHABURI – Residents in low-lying areas along Mae Prachan and Phetchaburi rivers have been advised to move their belongings to higher grounds and closely follow the situation after another round of heavy rain forced irrigation officials to discharge more water from a dam.

Thongplew Kongchan, deputy director-general of the Royal Irrigation Department (RID), said the Mae Prachan reservoir in Nong Ya Plong district began releasing more water downstream, lifting the discharge rate to 100 cubic metres per second after heavy downpour over the upper Mae Prachan, one of the four tributaries of the Phetchaburi river.
May you be in heaven half an hour before the devil know`s you`re dead!
PeteC

Post by PeteC »

I don't know where the Mae Prachan reservoir is in relation to the Kaeng Krachan reservoir, or if the two are linked, but would be interested to learn if the Kaeng Krachan is getting full? That is a huge reservoir and the times I've driven to it over the years it has never even been close to full. The last time a few years ago it was down to around 20% I think. I hope it has gained something back this year. Pete :cheers:
Governments are instituted among Men, deriving their just powers from the consent of the governed. Source
Big Boy

Post by Big Boy »

I thought they were letting the water out at such high rates because it was full. Why else would they cause so much flooding?
Championship Plymouth Argyle 0 - 1 Preston NE :cry: :cry: :cry: :cry:

Points 41; Position 18
Norseman
Rock Star
Rock Star

Post by Norseman »

The Kaeng Krachan reservoir is very far from full. It's probably not more than 25 - 30 % full as of three days ago when I was there.
The Phet Dam however is critical, if not emptied the upper parts of the dam will be flooded and that will put Cha Am, Tha Yang and the lower parts of the Phetcherat Province in danger of flooding. I.E. Effectively cutting off all transport between the south and Bangkok.
PeteC

Post by PeteC »

Phetchaburi told to brace for flooding.....(Monday)

http://www.bangkokpost.com/news/general ... r-flooding

"Residents in four districts of Phetchaburi and low-lying areas have been advised to move their belongings to higher ground as the Royal Irrigation Department (RID) is releasing more water from the Phet dam.

Thongplew Kongjun, the RID deputy director-general, said the department has alerted authorities in the districts of Nong Ya Plong, Ban Lat, Kang Krachan, and Tha Yang and those in low-lying areas along Phetchaburi River to possible flooding. They were also told to reinforce flood dykes in the area.

He said the water discharge rate from the Phet dam will increase from 197 to 250 cubic metres per second because run-off above the dam is increasing after heavy rain.

Huay Mae Prachan reservoir located above the dam is also releasing water at 100 cubic metres per second, he said.

The increase in discharge rate from Phet dam will make the water level in the Phetchaburi River in Tha Song Yang district increase by about one metre while the water level from Ban Lat to Muang district will rise by 50cm, he said.

He said the river in these districts will not burst its banks, but the low-lying areas from Ban Tai Muang in Muang district to Ban Laem district will be inundated.".................
Governments are instituted among Men, deriving their just powers from the consent of the governed. Source
HHTel
Hero
Hero

Post by HHTel »

Came through Petchaburi this afternoon and I couldn't see any signs of flooding!