Flooding in Petchaburi and Prachuap

Hua Hin general discussion, observations and chat. Hua Hin topics that don't really fit anywhere else.
NOKYAI
Ace
Ace

Flooding in Petchaburi and Prachuap

Post by NOKYAI »

Mrs N just Skyped that the above has just happened....I'm in the UK at the moment, can anyone shed light on what's happened?

Mod edit: topic title changed to reflect content
Enjoying 'Retirement'....So many jobs to do, I don't know how I ever had time to work!
Big Boy

Re: Petchaburi dam collapse??

Post by Big Boy »

I know the Petchaburi River has overflowed, but haven't heard about this. Very serious if it has.

http://www.bangkokpost.com/news/general ... -overflows
Championship Plymouth Argyle 0 - 1 Preston NE :cry: :cry: :cry: :cry:

Points 41; Position 18
NOKYAI
Ace
Ace

Re: Has Petchaburi dam collapsed??

Post by NOKYAI »

On reading that report BB, it might have been a ' translation issue' ! Not uncommon between myself and my good lady 555!
Enjoying 'Retirement'....So many jobs to do, I don't know how I ever had time to work!
Big Boy

Post by Big Boy »

:thumb:

Points 41; Position 18
bert91157

Post by bert91157 »

Don't know if the dam has collapsed but the place is flooded both sides of the highway.
Though the left side "heading south" seemed to be the worst effected. Side roads had some deep stuff. I spotted a woman wading up to her waist today on the way through.
Big Boy

Post by Big Boy »

Not wanting to wish flooding upon anybody, the bright side has to be that the dams are full at last.

Points 41; Position 18
hhinner
Rock Star
Rock Star

Post by hhinner »

The BP article said the dam had overflowed and some flood walls had given way. Wonder what Pranburi dam is like at the moment. We've had an awful lot of rain the last fortnight.
buksida

Post by buksida »

Flooding in Prachuap Khiri Khan, Phetchaburi still awash

Floods triggered by heavy overnight rain swept through several communities in Prachuap Khiri Khan on Thursday morning, as neighbouring Phetchaburi province battled major flooding for the third day running.

In Prachuap Khiri Khan, torrential rain pounded Muang district around 1am, causing flooding in low-lying communities. Arkong village, Makham Failon community and Kittikhun School were among the worst hit. Floodwater in those areas was 50-80cm deep.

In Phetchaburi, the flooding entered the third day without any sign of improvement. Continuous rain over the past few days and the discharge of water from the brimming Phetchaburi dam flooded roads throughout the municipal area, and many homes.

Wing 5 of the Royal Thai Air Force on Thursday sent 200 personnel to help flood victims evacuate their belongings to higher ground and build sandbag walls along main roads in Muang district of Prachuap Khiri Khan.

Run-off from Tanao Sri mountain range flowed down into the Pran Buri River, raising the water level in Pran Buri dam. Now, the dam holds 120.5 million cubic metres of water, or 30% of its capacity of 391 million cu/m.

Widespread rain and mountain run off has helped alleviate water shortages in Hua Hin and Pran Buri districts.

Residents in tambon Huay Satyai of Hua Hin were placed on full alert and warned they could be flooded out.

http://www.bangkokpost.com/news/general ... till-awash
Who is the happier man, he who has braved the storm of life and lived or he who has stayed securely on shore and merely existed? - Hunter S Thompson
Bluesky
Guru
Guru

Re: Flooding in Petchaburi and Prachuap

Post by Bluesky »

Will be travelling to BKK from HH am tomorrow. Seeking advice regarding any issues with flooding/road closures particularly around the Petchaburi area. Thanks in advance.
'Diplomacy is the art of telling people to go to hell in such a way they ask for directions'. -Winston Churchill-
Terry
Suspended
Suspended
Location: At Hua Hin Fishing Lodge, Hin Lek Fai most of the time.......

Post by Terry »

Bluesky wrote:Will be travelling to BKK from HH am tomorrow. Seeking advice regarding any issues with flooding/road closures particularly around the Petchaburi area. Thanks in advance.
Came down from Bangkok this evening - posted this on F/B if it helps

"Finally got out of Bangkok and passed through Petchaburi at around 7.45pm having stopped for a bite. No detours in force but around 4 - 6 cm of water on both three lane carriageways with frontage roads well flooded - all between the two flyovers adjacent to the hospitals. Got back to Hua Hin at about 8.35."

Basically (Unless things worsen overnight) you should be ok with a free wheelwash as you head north on Petchkasem through Petchaburi. :thumb:
Bluesky
Guru
Guru

Post by Bluesky »

Thanks kindly Terry, appreciated! :cheers:
'Diplomacy is the art of telling people to go to hell in such a way they ask for directions'. -Winston Churchill-
HHTel
Hero
Hero

Post by HHTel »

One thing has been proved. The recent improvement in drainage in HH seems to be working. Even heavy rain that initially causes flooding is negated when the rain eases. A few years ago, the flooding, even without further rainfall, would last for days. Now, an hour or so and it's gone. About time they got something right.

Feel sorry for the people in Petchaburi.
Big Boy

Post by Big Boy »

Drainage in Hua Hin was pretty good, but I did watch a good video of the Soi 102 river yesterday - not really deep, but quite a flow going on, and it must have been at least a mile long (my guesstimate).

Points 41; Position 18
Bristolian
Deceased
Deceased

Post by Bristolian »

I drove through this evening and the flooding on Phetkasem road was still exactly as Terry described. Cars and pickups could use the outer lane with ease between the two hospitals but only trucks could use the middle lane with any confidence. I did see a couple of SUVs and pick-ups try the middle lane but quickly saw the errors of their way. The inside lane was totally unusable.
Going north the traffic was having less problems with two lanes passable.

The frontage area and roads running into town, around this area, looked a nightmare. I'm sorry for the residents.
"'The two most important days in your life are the day you are born and the day you find out why." - Mark Twain