Do you think a European style cafe bar would go down well

Hua Hin general discussion, observations and chat. Hua Hin topics that don't really fit anywhere else.
caller
Hero
Hero

Re: The Beer Thread

Post by caller »

Simon555 wrote:I have a successful craft beer bar in the UK and I'm currently living in Bangkok. I love Hua Hin and have been a few times. Do you think a European style cafe bar would go down well here?
I would like to think so, but location would be important and how that impacts price wise, on what is already an expensive imported product.

If you do try something, please consider the market for folk that can't knock back so much alcohol these days for a variety of reasons, so something like the full bodied Brentwood Brewing Companies BBC 2 @ an incredible 2.5% would be very welcome. TOPS used to stock it, but no more, not sure why, as they were always running out!
Talk is cheap
caller
Hero
Hero

Re: Do you think a European style cafe bar would go down well

Post by caller »

I'd rather save up my alcohol input for something akin to a real ale or good cider, which I am happy to have poured over ice. I think it's a great drink in Thailand. I grew up drinking Youngs bitter and that was a terrific beer @ 3.7% so I have never been of the view that more alcohol = more flavour. A lot of my favourite beers had a modest alcohol content. Before I left my home in the UK I was surrounded by 'micro-breweries' which seem to have morphed into craft beers (I assume), too many for me to recall, but Butts and Ramsbury were amongst my favourites, but there were several others and many of the local pubs stocked them. My local had two taps and you never knew what they would have on.
Talk is cheap
hhfarang
Hero
Hero

Post by hhfarang »

I think it may be difficult to do with a good range of beers like you have in your UK establishment due to the cost of importing the beers. Not many expats can (or will) pay what you'd have to charge for those beers to stay afloat.

There was a place in Takiab across from the Cicada night market that had a good range of imported beers. I loved the selection so I went there a few times but it was usually pretty empty. Most expats and Thais are happy to drink the local beers at a cheap price rather than to pay double or more for a quality brew.
My brain is like an Internet browser; 12 tabs are open and 5 of them are not responding, there's a GIF playing in an endless loop,... and where is that annoying music coming from?
NOKYAI
Ace
Ace

Post by NOKYAI »

It's a lovely idea.....But
Location will be vital and rents plus police bribes etc mean high overheads, so high prices for your products. A strong Baht against the home countries of your target market at the moment is working against you.
The bars that are constantly busy are those with the the cheapest beers and I just don't think you will be able to compete.
Enjoying 'Retirement'....So many jobs to do, I don't know how I ever had time to work!
caller
Hero
Hero

Post by caller »

I think the café type of approach is the right one though. I would certainly be tempted by being able to enjoy a quality beer with a take on modern cuisine, a range of small or shared dishes such as tapas etc would be great - even paella!
Talk is cheap
NOKYAI
Ace
Ace

Post by NOKYAI »

HH tourist season is getting shorter every year, so best concentrating on the longer stay Felangs to be augmented by the tourists. Many of the local Ferang rarely cross the Petkasam Rd nowadays. I would look around Soi 94 as the rents would be more sustainable in the low season than the central part of HH
Enjoying 'Retirement'....So many jobs to do, I don't know how I ever had time to work!
caller
Hero
Hero

Post by caller »

Somewhere with good parking!
Talk is cheap
oakdale160
Rock Star
Rock Star

Post by oakdale160 »

"GO DOWN" has more than one meaning. the assumption--this does well in the UK--there are a lot of british men in HH therefore if it does well in UK it will do well in HH is a faulty premise.
jingjoe
Guru
Guru

Post by jingjoe »

with a fulltime expat population of around 5000 and the majority over 60 and on pensions, i think you will struggle to get enough customers willing to pay craftbeer prices in hua hin, there are a few in bangkok that seem to do well.

you can access craft beers here

https://www.wishbeer.com/en/503-ipa-ind ... le#/page-3
handdrummer
Addict
Addict

Post by handdrummer »

you'd better talk with someone in government before you decide to do anything. there are permits to get and various types of permission followed by bribes and if you sell alcohol the bribes are continuous. you may own the business but you won't be able to work there. only thias may work. you can't even stand behind the cash register or wait on tables. your job will be to greet customers and pay the bills.
oakdale160
Rock Star
Rock Star

Post by oakdale160 »

Timing is bad, many have found their incomes reduced by 20+% and more than ever are ina budget move. my neighbours who were big bar-visitors now buy at 7/11and drink at home.