HomePro / Thai Watsadu

Hua Hin general discussion, observations and chat. Hua Hin topics that don't really fit anywhere else.
MDMK
Ace
Ace

HomePro / Thai Watsadu

Post by MDMK »

Probably not the most typical tourist question, but here goes :oops:

We'll be coming to HH next month for 3 weeks. Will be our first visit to HH, but have been to Thailand many times. I always love a stroll around HomePro and manage to find home decor nick-nacks that I can't get at home. Am I right in saying the HH HomePro is in Market Village?

And I read an older post on here about a newish store called Thai Watsadu out towards Cha-Am. Is it worth my while taking a taxi out there? Is it pleasant to stroll around? I read it was massive, which I like, but I am just worried it's too "male" and all buildings stuffs and power tools.

It is not building materials I am looking for. More home decor things. Curtains, cushions, duvet cover, throws, nick-nacks type things.

Are there any other DIY stores around town I should check out for home decorry things? Anywhere like Home Depot in the US?

Many thanks in advance. M
Big Boy

Re: HomePro / Thai Watsadu

Post by Big Boy »

Yes, Home Pro is Market Village.

Thai Watsadu is large, and IMHO worth the effort.

In Pranburi, there's the fairly new Global House, which I liked a lot.

You might also like a wander around Boonthavorn just North of the palace.
Championship Plymouth Argyle 0 - 1 Preston NE :cry: :cry: :cry: :cry:

Points 41; Position 18
MDMK
Ace
Ace

Post by MDMK »

many thanks BigBoy, will go to google-earth to get my bearings for Global House & Boonthavern.

When I do the Thai Watsadu one, is there anything in that part of Cha-am worth combining it with? If you get what I mean, kill two birds with one stone kinda thing. Like the outlet shopping at Cha-Am, is that anywhere near the DIY store? If so is it worth stopping at ?

Thanks again. M
Big Boy

Post by Big Boy »

Thai Watsadu is a long way from anywhere.

You can't miss Global house as you go into Pranburi. On your left just before (or is it after :oops: ) the 2nd lights. Well sign posted.

Points 41; Position 18
hhinner
Rock Star
Rock Star

Post by hhinner »

There's a Fly Now outlet between Hua Hin and Thai Watsadu. It sells clothing and some household stuff. Also in Hua Hin, about a kilometer North of the palace, is Index which sells housewares and furniture.

Sent from my ifive mini 4S using Tapatalk

VincentD
Ace
Ace

Post by VincentD »

MDMK
Homepro it's nice for window shopping (side note - I have spent a lot - several hundred thousand baht here) but they do not have a particularly good selection, nor do their staff know a lot. I have recently found a place that stock much more interesting things for less in Bangkok so it does pay to shop around for what you need.
If it's you first visit I would suggest looking around first - any purchases can be difficult to bring back home.

Enjoy your visit but try to plan wisely..
วินเชนท์
VincentD
Ace
Ace

Post by VincentD »

F&N (Flynow outlets) are overpriced even with a discount. Was upset my wife and her sister parted with around 10,000 baht just the other weekend. Nothing to really show for it..
Waste of money IMO for some things, big a vice drip for the Bangkok hiso's who can afford the stuff
my opinion.
Up to you.
วินเชนท์
VincentD
Ace
Ace

Post by VincentD »

Bloody spell check..
Bit of a nice stop..
วินเชนท์
Nereus
Hero
Hero

Post by Nereus »

Not sure about that. :? I think it is further to Global House, and a damn site more dangerous road as well! Watsadu does not stock much "houseware" type of products. Also, there is Koncept Furniture near the airport.
May you be in heaven half an hour before the devil know`s you`re dead!
hhinner
Rock Star
Rock Star

Re: RE: Re: HomePro / Thai Watsadu

Post by hhinner »

VincentD wrote:F&N (Flynow outlets) are overpriced even with a discount. Was upset my wife and her sister parted with around 10,000 baht just the other weekend. Nothing to really show for it..
Waste of money IMO for some things, big a vice drip for the Bangkok hiso's who can afford the stuff
my opinion.
Up to you.
I tend to agree with you, but it's there if the OP wants to visit in passing.

Sent from my ifive mini 4S using Tapatalk

MDMK
Ace
Ace

Post by MDMK »

thanks everyone. Have plenty now to keep me busy! I probably will give the outlet shopping a miss. I have a feeling my legs wont carry me much further after a "stroll" around Thai Watsadu.

Index & Boonthavorn are EXACTLY what I am looking for, judging by their websites that is. Will definitely do these two.

Vincent, we're flying biz class in Emirates (upgraded using points), so allowed as standard 40 kilo each, then we get an extra 10 kilo p.p because we're silver members, so 100 kilos hold baggage. I think we'll have a max of 30-40 clothes, so if I shop wisely I should manage some bits and pieces.

I just love finding little things that might be bog standard in Thailand but are a bit unusual here (bought lovely metallic-silver curtains a few years back in Bangkok, and they cost a tiny fraction of what I would have paid for something similar here).

Thanks again folks, it's very much appreciated. :sun:
Ralfredo
Professional
Professional

Post by Ralfredo »

MDMK wrote: Sun Apr 09, 2017 5:33 pmIt is not building materials I am looking for. More home decor things. Curtains, cushions, duvet cover, throws, nick-nacks type things.
You also have a store called Hua Hin Home Art which is located south of Hua Hin center (maybe six kilometers or so) on the Petchkasem Road (the main road) just south of the Vana Nava water park. Not very big but might have some interesting stuff.

https://www.google.se/maps/@12.5282002, ... !1e1?hl=sv

MDMK wrote: Mon Apr 10, 2017 2:35 amVincent, we're flying biz class in Emirates
Since you are a Skywards silver member I guess you're familiar with the Emirates fleet but for anyone that isn't I would recommend the A380 when flying in business class.

Business on the B777 is absolutely not bad but they have seven seat in each row in a 2-3-2 configuration. On the A380 there is only four seats in each row (1-2-1) so each seat has direct access to the aisle. There is also a nice bar in the aft on the upper deck, a perfect place to kill a few hours in the air while enjoying a drink or two and some great snacks. :cheers:
Big Boy

Post by Big Boy »

Nereus wrote: Sun Apr 09, 2017 11:11 pm
Not sure about that. :? I think it is further to Global House, and a damn site more dangerous road as well!
People on here have talked about the dangers of driving on that road before, but so long as you keep your distance, and don't join in with the crazy antics (not denying the road does attract more than it's share of idiots), I think it's no worse than any other Thai Road.

As for Global House, I feel more relaxed walking around that store than any of the others. Yes, the staff come up to you, say hello, and let you carry on browsing at ease. For browsability, it's No.1 in my book, but we all have different needs.

Points 41; Position 18
Nereus
Hero
Hero

Post by Nereus »

I have not been to Global House in Phranburi, but recently at one in the north. The range of products in that store is absolutely staggering! I cannot get my head around just how much stock they have. All EXCEPT a kitchen cutting board that I needed!

If that particular store is any indication of the rest of them, it beggars belief how a business can carry that much stock, especially bearing mind that the relatively small city also has a Home Pro store and many old style general building supply shops.
May you be in heaven half an hour before the devil know`s you`re dead!
PeteC

Post by PeteC »

^ Yes, I use the one in Rayong frequently. It is huge now, but some years ago it was 1/4 the current size. They seem to have undergone a very big expansion program and building add on. As BB says, the staff really leave you alone completely if their first approach is waved off. Great policy! Pete :cheers:

EDIT: It's my "go to" place now and we ignore the rest. We initially stopped in Homepro and some other places first and always walked around and walked out, and ended up at Global to find better and larger selections. I don't really care about knit picking over a marginal higher price, but they are generally cheaper than Homepro and the others anyway.
Governments are instituted among Men, deriving their just powers from the consent of the governed. Source