Start of the Jellyfish Season

Hua Hin general discussion, observations and chat. Hua Hin topics that don't really fit anywhere else.
Big Boy

Re: Start of the Jellyfish Season?

Post by Big Boy »

I'll be down there in a few minutes, which stretch were you on? I'll do a comparison.
Championship Plymouth Argyle 0 - 1 Preston NE :cry: :cry: :cry: :cry:

Points 41; Position 18
Pagey
Legend
Legend

Post by Pagey »

I walked from Soi 77 to the white 'lookout tower' which is about 10 minutes from Takiab, then walked back and counted on the way back as I noticed so many on the walk South. That was about 11 am as I was a bit late today.

Edit : Will you see them in the dark ?

Also a few were ringed with purple round the edge and looked beautiful for a nasty stingy thing. :thumb:
'If you didn't have a wasted youth you wasted your youth'

Man in pub circa 1987.
Big Boy

Post by Big Boy »

Just back, and it was just past high tide. I go on the beach at Soi 75 and walk to Marakesh and back (oldest dog is restricted to how far she is allowed to walk). A lot of the beach is floodlit at night, so no problem seeing them (we also take torches), although we had to look hard to see the blue, but yes, most were blue, and there were loads of the beasties, made worse by our rottweiler who thinks a good game is to fetch them from the sea and plonk them on the beach like pancakes - there are loads out there, but I don't think the sting can be too bad on these. Our dog barely flinched at the venom, whereas some cause her to really shake her head.

I agree, some are really beautiful - a shame that they can cause so much discomfort.

Points 41; Position 18
buksida

Post by buksida »

Looks like it has started according to this Thairath report:

https://www.thairath.co.th/content/1399322

Fishermen reporting huge numbers in the Prachuap area.
Who is the happier man, he who has braved the storm of life and lived or he who has stayed securely on shore and merely existed? - Hunter S Thompson
Big Boy

Post by Big Boy »

When I started my recent beach walk Thursday or Friday last week, there were as many jellyfish as I had seen washed up on the beach. By the time I completed the walk last Sunday due to footwear problems, there were very few on the beach, unless they had been buried under the debris that had washed ashore.

Whilst climbing the slippery wall, where I felt I might slip, and end up in the water, I was actually looking for jellyfish. I didn't see one in the water during that period.

Points 41; Position 18
Big Boy

Post by Big Boy »

An old thread, but this was posted on Facebook yesterday, filmed at Hua Hin Pier. They'll probably go as fast as they appeared, but please take care if swimming in the sea at moment.

Points 41; Position 18
HHTel
Hero
Hero

Post by HHTel »

I don't think I've ever seen them in quite so high numbers. Fortunately I gave up swimming in the sea a long time ago but there are children in the family that need to be kept on a short leash when on the beech.
migrant
Addict
Addict

Post by migrant »

We were in Bang Saphan last week closing on our property and the washed up jelly fish were every foot
The proper function of man is to live, not to exist. I shall not waste my days in trying to prolong them. I shall use my time.
PeteC

Post by PeteC »

Quite easy to see from that video why sea turtles think a floating plastic bag is a jellyfish. :(
Governments are instituted among Men, deriving their just powers from the consent of the governed. Source
Nereus
Hero
Hero

Post by Nereus »

Some interesting reasons in the following:
…………………………………………………………………………………………………………………………
The Truth Behind Global Jellyfish Swarms

https://www.livescience.com/5219-truth- ... warms.html

This Behind the Scenes article was provided to LiveScience in partnership with the National Science Foundation.

Large swarms of jellyfish and other gelatinous animals — sometimes covering hundreds of square miles of ocean — have recently been reported in many of the world's prime vacation and fishing destinations.

In this interview with Lily Whiteman of the National Science Foundation, renowned "jellyologist" Monty Graham of the Dauphin Island Sea Lab in Alabama discusses the origins and impacts of such swarms. (Note: Jellyfish and other gelatinous animals are called "jellies" here.)

Long article.........................>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>

edit: and another>>>>>>>>>>>>>>

http://www.bbc.com/earth/story/20160905 ... -the-ocean
May you be in heaven half an hour before the devil know`s you`re dead!
PeteC

Re: Start of the Jellyfish Season

Post by PeteC »

Too many duplicate threads on this subject, so we'll just add to this one.

If it's happening elsewhere right now, it's sure to happen on the south upper east coast shortly if not already. We'll be on the alert for any specific Hua Hin area reports.

Tourists in Surat Thani & Trat warned to beware of jellyfish

https://thethaiger.com/news/national/to ... -jellyfish

Tourists have been warned to beware of jellyfish while swimming in the sea off the beaches at Koh Samui, and Koh Pha Ngan in Surat Thani, and Koh Mark, and Koh Kood in Trat.

The Director of the Department of Marine and Coastal Resources, Auttapon Charoenchansa, reported that it is venomous jellyfish season in Koh Samui, and Koh Pha Ngan in Surat Thani from July to December, and from November to April in Koh Mark, and Koh Kood.

Box jellyfish, or Chirodropidae Chironex indrasaksajiae, is the most poisonous jellyfish in those areas. Its venom has a fatal effect on anyone it touches, causing cardiac arrest, and attacking the nervous system, and circulatory systems in the lungs. The venom can stop a person’s heartbeat within two to five minutes of being strung.

Auttapon recommends victims pour vinegar onto the wound of a sting. He added a warning against pouring water onto wounds or rubbing the wound with sand. If a victim loses consciousness, it is recommended they receive CPR.

Auttapon reported that officials have installed nets to prevent jellyfish from entering the swimming areas but they cannot guarantee 100% protection to beachgoers. He added tourists should follow the recommendations of lifeguards and observe warning signs at the beaches.

Tourists should not go beyond the jellyfish barrier net and avoid going into the sea at night or after it has rained.

Auttapon added that the officials have vinegar supplies on beaches to use as first aid in case of any strings. Vinegar and first aid instructions are available at an orange pole on every beach.

If stung by jellyfish people must contact the National Institute for Emergency Medicine via a hotline on 1669.

A hotel in Koh Samui offered first aid lessons on how to treat and prevent box jellyfish stings in March. https://thethaiger.com/news/national/ho ... ish-stings
Governments are instituted among Men, deriving their just powers from the consent of the governed. Source
PeteC

Post by PeteC »

Interesting in that it appears that Thailand jellyfish national news reports stopped with the start of Covid, and have now begun once again. No tourists here, no one in the sea....it's not news I guess.
Big Boy

Post by Big Boy »

A hotel in Koh Samui offered first aid lessons on how to treat and prevent box jellyfish stings in March.
Apart from staying out of the water, how do you prevent a jellyfish sting?

Points 41; Position 18
buksida

Post by buksida »

Wear a wetsuit!
Who is the happier man, he who has braved the storm of life and lived or he who has stayed securely on shore and merely existed? - Hunter S Thompson
Big Boy

Post by Big Boy »

Well, that should entice the tourists into the sea.:laugh:

Points 41; Position 18