Police corruption, drug tested in Hua Hin

Hua Hin general discussion, observations and chat. Hua Hin topics that don't really fit anywhere else.
handdrummer
Addict
Addict

Re: Police corruption, drug tested in Hua Hin

Post by handdrummer »

I would just take the extra 4 mns., go around a different way and spend the 7000 baht on something I enjoyed.
--AndY
Amateur
Amateur

Post by --AndY »

Handdrummer I here what u sayin pal, but the chic on the back of my bike was telling me where to go....
In my mind it's not worth it getting pissed up n driving....
Ohhhhh I tell u what I have bin doing, that's probably a waste of time.... I've bin getting the girls to ride my bike, pffffff but at the end of the day if any thing happens it's all my fault, we crash, my fault, we get stopped by police, my fault...
TBH tho most of the girls I see and go drinking with, drive cars and trucks, so I jump in with them.... It's just when I go for a long ride out of HH, find a few beach bars, have few big changs.... Then when I get back to HH il be out for the night with the bike... I need to get out of that habit n just put the bike away... It's just asking for trouble 5555
Remember bar girls can't eat love! :twisted:
My nana use to say, Son if your got nothing nice to say, then don't say nothing at all!!!
StevePIraq
Rock Star
Rock Star

Post by StevePIraq »

Andy, have you ever thought you are pushing your luck too far. Your other posts about being stopped for no licence, no helmet etc and now this.

You really need to consider your life before you end up locked up for a long time
"Live everyday as if it were your last because someday you're going to be right." Muhammad Ali
--AndY
Amateur
Amateur

Post by --AndY »

Steeee I totally agree with u mate... I wouldn't dare do it in the uk, and for the life of me, I can't understand why I do it in Thailand....
But I'm not the first and I'm definitely not going 2 be the last...

Probably more than half the people on this forum has done it... Opinions are like arse holes mate everyone got one.. Its just I've told people what I did and penaltys I've payed by being stopped by police... Lucky that it's only cash money I've lost and not my life or worse someone elses is life....
Not goin to sit here and lie, saying I'm never going to do it again, but it has slowed down and I do consider other modes of transportation when drunk 555

My hole point being:- is after all the times I've bin stopped, police corruption is still super high, u can buy ur way out of most things.... But never have I bin stopped for a drug test by the side off a road...
when I have been stopped and I'm all legal, not once have they tried to get money out of me, just waved me on...

Overall my dealing with police is not bad at all... No helmet, pay fine, no license, pay fine.... Pissed up, police corruption 555

Is it ever going to change guys , I dint know...
Remember bar girls can't eat love! :twisted:
My nana use to say, Son if your got nothing nice to say, then don't say nothing at all!!!
Big Boy

Post by Big Boy »

Just an update on this one. I had to take my son's girlfriend to the bus station last night. I went through the road between 94 and 102. Sure enough, the police were there in force doing whatever they do, and they were busy.

I had to wait a few minutes before it was my turn, and they were making everybody get out of vehicles.

I pulled forward, knowing that I had nothing to hide. I wound down my window and said hello to the officer, and he returned the greeting. He then shouted over to the guy in charge, saying there was a Farang driving. The boss came over and spoke to my wife. My rough translation:

"Where are you going?"

"Taking my daughter to the bus station"

"Has anybody been drinking?"

"No"

"OK, drive carefully, sorry for the inconvenience."

I then drove away very carefully, avoiding all the Thais who had been stopped and were basically blocking the road.

I still maintain, if you've nothing to hide, you have absolutely nothing to fear from Hua Hin's police. Road blocks are the way Thai police do their work, for better or for worse. I've been stopped many times, and never had a problem.
Championship Plymouth Argyle 0 - 1 Preston NE :cry: :cry: :cry: :cry:

Points 41; Position 18
Bluesky
Guru
Guru

Post by Bluesky »

I travel that particular road quite frequently and have been stopped there on a number of occasions. similar scenario and questions also answered by my wife.

"Where are you going?"
"Home"
"where have you been?"
"Shopping"
"Have you been drinking?"
"No"
"Ok, sorry for inconvenience."

Sometimes a pat for the dog and a smile.

Likewise never been an issue for me there. There have been occasions where they have had Thais pulled over and doing thorough vehicle searches. Judging by the demeanor exhibited perhaps a failure to pass the attitude test.
'Diplomacy is the art of telling people to go to hell in such a way they ask for directions'. -Winston Churchill-
centermid7
Banned
Banned

Post by centermid7 »

I'm always tickled when I read the comment, on this or any other subject, the whatever it is "has never been a problem".
It's never a problem - until it is. Just because someone has "nothing to hide" does not mean all will be well.

What would have happened if you had been by yourself without a Thai speaker? It often can be and IS a problem for no reason whatsoever. Color it up anyway you might want but the BIB are pretty much useless and little more than thieves.

And yes I'm sure you have been stopped before without the wife and it was not a problem. There is a very excellent chance that at some point it will be.

Cheers!
Big Boy

Post by Big Boy »

I have been stopped many. many times. Both inside Hua Hin and outside of Hua Hin.

Inside Hua Hin apart from one unfortunate incident, the police have been perfect gentlemen. In the one unfortunate incident (which I won't go into), the officer realised I had proof of his intention on my rear dashcam. We agreed to to disagree and the incident was over, but on that occasion he thought he was stopping somebody else.

Outside of Hua Hin, I'd put attempted extortion (some successful) at over 50%.

You are right of course, I'm sure there may be some bad police in Hua Hin, but I haven't been unfortunate enough to have found them. I'd guess I get stopped about once a week in Hua Hin, so we're getting close to 300 stops without any problem. I'd have to be pretty paranoid to still have the doubt you seem to have.

The stops have been a mixture of travelling alone, travelling with other Farangs and travelling with Thais.

Points 41; Position 18
buksida

Post by buksida »

My experience is the opposite. I have traveled the length and breadth of this country and get stopped more times in Hua Hin than all of the other provinces combined. There must be more cops than citizens in this town - it can definitely be described as a police state.

Doing nothing wrong is not always enough, often they will go out of their way to find something wrong.
Who is the happier man, he who has braved the storm of life and lived or he who has stayed securely on shore and merely existed? - Hunter S Thompson
Big Boy

Post by Big Boy »

I don't disagree with the amount of stops in Hua Hin. There are a lot. However, they are usually in the same places, so you can take different routes.

Last night, I had the choice of 2 u-turns or a possible roadblock. I chose the roadblock as the easiest alternative.

In Hua Hin, I've never known them go out of their way to find a problem. Maybe Bluesky had a valid point when he said attitude comes into it as well.

Points 41; Position 18
buksida

Post by buksida »

Big Boy wrote: Tue Oct 10, 2017 10:09 am In Hua Hin, I've never known them go out of their way to find a problem. Maybe Bluesky had a valid point when he said attitude comes into it as well.
That depends if you are in a big shiny pickup with a Thai woman as a passenger or solo on a large motorcycle with a couple of (legal) modifications. :mrgreen:
Who is the happier man, he who has braved the storm of life and lived or he who has stayed securely on shore and merely existed? - Hunter S Thompson
Bluesky
Guru
Guru

Post by Bluesky »

Big Boy wrote: Tue Oct 10, 2017 10:09 am I don't disagree with the amount of stops in Hua Hin. There are a lot. However, they are usually in the same places, so you can take different routes.

Last night, I had the choice of 2 u-turns or a possible roadblock. I chose the roadblock as the easiest alternative.

In Hua Hin, I've never known them go out of their way to find a problem. Maybe Bluesky had a valid point when he said attitude comes into it as well.
Whilst the policing model here is somewhat different to 'The principles of modern Policing' laid down by Sir Robert Peel there are some aspects that are just about the same everywhere "failure of the attitude test", "there's an easy way or hard way to deal with this, your choice" are just two that spring to mind.
'Diplomacy is the art of telling people to go to hell in such a way they ask for directions'. -Winston Churchill-
johnjar
Guru
Guru

Post by johnjar »

The cops are just doing their job , if you are stopped and within the law and act in a respectful friendly way there will never be a problem , it's the same all over the world :)
HHTel
Hero
Hero

Post by HHTel »

The cops are just doing their job
I wish!
johnjar
Guru
Guru

Post by johnjar »