Population of Hua Hin or anywhere for that matter.

Hua Hin general discussion, observations and chat. Hua Hin topics that don't really fit anywhere else.
Big Boy

Population of Hua Hin or anywhere for that matter.

Post by Big Boy »

Does anybody know the approximate population of Hua Hin please?

I've been thinking about this for a couple of days, and have drawn my own conclusion that it must be an impossible question e.g. my granddaughters are born and bred in Hua Hin, yet they are on my daughter's Tabien Bahn showing them as being from Roi Et. Many permanent residents of Hua Hin fall into the same category.

It seems everytime a Thai meets another Thai, one of the first questions is where are you from? An answer of Hua Hin is as rare as rocking horse sh*t. So how can anybody actually know?

I've lived here over 5 years now, but who knows I'm here? OK, I have a Yellow Book/ID Card/Driving Licence, but does that really mean I'm living here and not just visiting for a few weeks each year?

I've considered utility bills etc, but many properties in Hua Hin are holiday homes, so not always occupied/main abode.

So if anybody can answer the question, it would be interesting to know their source of information.
Championship Plymouth Argyle 0 - 1 Preston NE :cry: :cry: :cry: :cry:

Points 41; Position 18
HHTel
Hero
Hero

Re: Population of Hua Hin or anywhere for that matter.

Post by HHTel »

This is what Wikipedia says although it states 'Hua Hin District':
Hua Hin District (Thai: หัวหิน, IPA: [hǔə hǐn]) is one of eight districts (amphoe) of Prachuap Khiri Khan Province in the northern part of the Malay Peninsula in Thailand. Its seat of government, also named Hua Hin, is a beach resort town. The district has a population of 84,883 in an area of 911 km2. By road, it is 199 km south-southwest of Bangkok.
Big Boy

Post by Big Boy »

Yes, I don't doubt it, but Wikipedia gives anybody the ability to change those figures to whatever they want them to read.

There is no mention of where those figures come from, nor the date they were compiled. I see there was a census back in 2010 - has there been one since. Didn't people have to go back to their home province for that anyway, so probably show people as living elsewhere.

OK, it'll never be 100% accurate, but would the Wiki figure even achieve 50% accuracy?

Points 41; Position 18
HHTel
Hero
Hero

Post by HHTel »

You're absolutely correct of course. I had a friend years ago who created an entry on Wiki for himself. Listed himself as the world's greatest P*** Artist until the Wiki police removed it.
HHTel
Hero
Hero

Post by HHTel »

Just noticed that the figure given in Wiki does state the source:

"Population statistics 2015" (in Thai). Department of Provincial Administration. Retrieved 2016-08-12.
Big Boy

Post by Big Boy »

I've tried to follow that information (which I also missed :oops: ), but it takes me to a completely different set of figures - about 25% below the Wiki statement.

Points 41; Position 18
PeteC

Post by PeteC »

It would have to come from the House Book. How else would they do it? Anytime someone takes up residence in a house, is born or dies, the book is supposed to be updated with the info regardless of where that person was born. That's my understanding anyway. Pete :cheers:
Governments are instituted among Men, deriving their just powers from the consent of the governed. Source
Big Boy

Post by Big Boy »

So my daughter isn't part of the stats, and neither am I :?

Points 41; Position 18
PeteC

Post by PeteC »

My feeling is that they're not concerned about foreigners. When should a resident Thai change their official residence from let's say Roi Et to Hua Hin? There has to be guidelines and rules concerning time and intention. :? Pete :cheers:
Governments are instituted among Men, deriving their just powers from the consent of the governed. Source
HHTel
Hero
Hero

Post by HHTel »

I believe that to get the 30 baht medicare system, you can only use the hospital where you are registered. My daughters were originally on a tabien baan in BKK and when we moved to HH they had to be on the tabien bahn here in order to use the 30 baht scheme.
404cameljockey
Ace
Ace

Post by 404cameljockey »

I heard last week that Hua Hin is now designated a city. Anyone else heard that?

Just 80,000 souls and no cathedral....

:)
HHTel
Hero
Hero

Post by HHTel »

The Wiki link below lists all cities, towns and townships. It also includes population of each and gives a population of 41,000 for the town of Hua Hin.
The references/sources are in Thai so maybe someone else can help with that.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/List_of_c ... n_Thailand
Big Boy

Post by Big Boy »

HHTel wrote: Sat Sep 23, 2017 2:14 pm I believe that to get the 30 baht medicare system, you can only use the hospital where you are registered. My daughters were originally on a tabien baan in BKK and when we moved to HH they had to be on the tabien bahn here in order to use the 30 baht scheme.
I was also under that impression, but my daughter gets the 30 Baht scheme at Hua Hin Hospital.

Points 41; Position 18
HHTel
Hero
Hero

Post by HHTel »

Interesting. My wife had to show her tabien bahn when she registered at HH hospital. She registered the kids at the same time. Maybe things have changed.
Big Boy

Post by Big Boy »

I've seen in the region of 10 figures so far, each one is different, and none say how the population is calculated.

Points 41; Position 18