Very quiet in Hua Hin

Hua Hin general discussion, observations and chat. Hua Hin topics that don't really fit anywhere else.
HHTel
Hero
Hero

Re: Very quiet in Hua Hin

Post by HHTel »

Hmm. Back in the day when there was only two bars in 80, Dick's Office being one of them.
Big Boy

Post by Big Boy »

2 bars? I was living there, and only remember one - what was the other please?
Championship Plymouth Argyle 0 - 1 Preston NE :cry: :cry: :cry: :cry:

Points 41; Position 18
HHTel
Hero
Hero

Post by HHTel »

Dick's office was the second bar. The other was a couple of doors before him. Can't remember the name.
I remember Richard saying that he only moved there because the rent was cheaper than renting an apartment and if he actually gets customers, that would be a bonus!!
lomuamart

Post by lomuamart »

Wasn't the first bar "Linda's?"
oakdale160
Rock Star
Rock Star

Post by oakdale160 »

Can I ask the real old old timers a question? As long as I have been coming to HH (10Y) there has been "The night life is fading fast, soon everybody will have gone broke and everyplace will be closed" talk. Was it always this way??
buksida

Post by buksida »

oakdale160 wrote: Sat Jan 27, 2018 12:01 pm Can I ask the real old old timers a question? As long as I have been coming to HH (10Y) there has been "The night life is fading fast, soon everybody will have gone broke and everyplace will be closed" talk. Was it always this way??
No, before 2000 the place was heaving, bars could stay open 24/7, Thailand was a cheap destination, no police/army/immigration harassment. Hua Hin had a real party atmosphere.
Who is the happier man, he who has braved the storm of life and lived or he who has stayed securely on shore and merely existed? - Hunter S Thompson
HHTel
Hero
Hero

Post by HHTel »

lomuamart wrote: Sat Jan 27, 2018 10:26 am Wasn't the first bar "Linda's?"
Well done. That's the one.
Big Boy

Post by Big Boy »

Thank you. We stayed up soi 80 a couple of times, but I don't recall that one at all - I was know to drink a bottle or 2 in those days as well.

Points 41; Position 18
STEVE G
Hero
Hero

Post by STEVE G »

buksida wrote: Sat Jan 27, 2018 12:03 pm
oakdale160 wrote: Sat Jan 27, 2018 12:01 pm Can I ask the real old old timers a question? As long as I have been coming to HH (10Y) there has been "The night life is fading fast, soon everybody will have gone broke and everyplace will be closed" talk. Was it always this way??
No, before 2000 the place was heaving, bars could stay open 24/7, Thailand was a cheap destination, no police/army/immigration harassment. Hua Hin had a real party atmosphere.
Ironically, we get people who keep posting that Hua Hin has changed because it was a sleepy fishing village twenty years a go!
buksida

Post by buksida »

STEVE G wrote: Sat Jan 27, 2018 1:32 pm Ironically, we get people who keep posting that Hua Hin has changed because it was a sleepy fishing village twenty years a go!
It was a sleepy fishing village ... during the day. :naughty:
Who is the happier man, he who has braved the storm of life and lived or he who has stayed securely on shore and merely existed? - Hunter S Thompson
caller
Hero
Hero

Post by caller »

Are there many people here? My sister and her hubby recently visited and apart from spending time with me also spent a few days at the Hyatt, which was pretty empty and seemingly devoid of Brits and aussies (they live in Oz). Cicada on a Saturday night was comfortably relaxed and not as heaving as I have seen it. The beach south of Takiap had plenty of space and as I don't really go to the bar areas either, the only thing I have noticed is an increase in numbers in Bluport!
Talk is cheap
Big Boy

Post by Big Boy »

My guage, as I've said before, is how many groups of visitors walk up and down Soi 94 upto 6 abreast having no fear of motor vehicles on a now very busy Soi. A couple of weeks ago it was quite quiet. Over the last week, it has been heaving. Of course, these are mainly snowbirds returning to their winter feeding grounds, and not hotel dwellers.

Points 41; Position 18
Happyharry
Rookie
Rookie

Post by Happyharry »

Years 98-2002 was a boom for all areas across the globe spending was at an all time high then the greed started
Norseman
Rock Star
Rock Star

Post by Norseman »

Sorry my man. The greed started here in Thailand the year 1997 with the Tom Yum Goong crisis, initiated by some Hungarian named György Schwartz a bit later known as George Soros.
When all that is said; greed seems to the solemnly ruler and lawmaker in Thailand so I couldn't care less.
Use your brain and thus prevent the greed.
Greed is a bad thing, and we all know it. Stop it!
Happyharry
Rookie
Rookie

Post by Happyharry »

97 Thailand maybe so but I agree greed is sickness of the world and somehow we must stop it winning , I think the greed in 94 will be its own distruction