Very quiet in Hua Hin

Hua Hin general discussion, observations and chat. Hua Hin topics that don't really fit anywhere else.
oakdale160
Rock Star
Rock Star

Re: Very quiet in Hua Hin

Post by oakdale160 »

Happyharry--I dont think that greed is only present in HH and not in other Thai destinations. Pattaya which is very greedy is having a busy high-season.
404cameljockey
Ace
Ace

Post by 404cameljockey »

Someone mentions the word greed and people start nodding their heads. But I'd like to know what greed lead to a fall in tourism in HH. Whose greed? The government's? Retailers? The girls in the bing bong parlours? I don't think a financial crisis 20 years ago can be held responsible. The IMF were paid off long ago and anyway Asian economies solely were responsible for their own weakness to attack; currency pegs are double edged weapons, careful how you swing them.

It's Thailand strong currency now that may be putting people off visiting Thailand, not financial weakness brought about by the greed of international financiers (whoops supposed to say 'philanthropists' I think).

But what am I trying to say here?

Ah, is this all relevant to the topic?

Maybe not. :D
oakdale160
Rock Star
Rock Star

Post by oakdale160 »

oh i think the exchange rates are very relevant to this thread. as posters have discussed in another thread, Thai is no longer the unbelievably cheap place it was when tourists were getting 45b for a $ or 70+b for a pound. Prices have risen, the exchange rates have gone down--its a double-whammy.
handdrummer
Addict
Addict

Post by handdrummer »

Greed is universal, has been since day one. Here my dear, just taste this apple and you'll know everything.
404cameljockey
Ace
Ace

Post by 404cameljockey »

oakdale160 wrote: Sun Jan 28, 2018 9:15 am oh i think the exchange rates are very relevant to this thread. as posters have discussed in another thread, Thai is no longer the unbelievably cheap place it was when tourists were getting 45b for a $ or 70+b for a pound. Prices have risen, the exchange rates have gone down--its a double-whammy.
Yes I just said that. I was asking what does greed have to do with falling tourism?
404cameljockey
Ace
Ace

Post by 404cameljockey »

handdrummer wrote: Sun Jan 28, 2018 9:21 am Greed is universal, has been since day one. Here my dear, just taste this apple and you'll know everything.
Without greed (which I translate as wish for large personal gain) we would lack a lot of what makes modern life bearable. I really don't think that most inventions at least in the last century were born out of philanthropic action.
johnjar
Guru
Guru

Post by johnjar »

oakdale160 wrote: Sun Jan 28, 2018 9:15 am oh i think the exchange rates are very relevant to this thread. as posters have discussed in another thread, Thai is no longer the unbelievably cheap place it was when tourists were getting 45b for a $ or 70+b for a pound. Prices have risen, the exchange rates have gone down--its a double-whammy.
oakdale ....Exactly exchange rates have a big impact! like it or lump it! Absolutely nothing to do with greed as some posters said.The Thai economy is doing very well and good luck to them.
johnjar
Guru
Guru

Post by johnjar »

Whats George Soros got to do with "Very quiet in Hua Hin" and " I think the greed in 94 will be its own distruction" ?? is that year 94 or soi 94 ?? also to do with "Very quiet in Hua Hin" :?
Hahuahin
Professional
Professional

Post by Hahuahin »

Quiet is good for the soul at least IMO. However and after a while away I can see its not good for Hua Hin which clearly shows in more garbage roadside and a park recently built less maintained and in my experience is a indication (at least in this part of the world ) that there are less visitors and business not exactly are blooming
handdrummer
Addict
Addict

Post by handdrummer »

404cameljockey wrote: Sun Jan 28, 2018 10:59 am
handdrummer wrote: Sun Jan 28, 2018 9:21 am Greed is universal, has been since day one. Here my dear, just taste this apple and you'll know everything.
Without greed (which I translate as wish for large personal gain) we would lack a lot of what makes modern life bearable. I really don't think that most inventions at least in the last century were born out of philanthropic action.
Greed: Intense and selfish desire. You don't get to pick your own definitions.
404cameljockey
Ace
Ace

Post by 404cameljockey »

handdrummer wrote: Mon Jan 29, 2018 1:17 am
Er, it seems you do.

Online Cambridge dictionary: a very strong wish to continuously get more of something, especially food or money.

I'm fine with my definition thanks.

In any case by nitpicking you let my point slip completely over your head. Nice.
404cameljockey
Ace
Ace

Post by 404cameljockey »

Hahuahin wrote: Sun Jan 28, 2018 12:02 pm Quiet is good for the soul at least IMO. However and after a while away I can see its not good for Hua Hin which clearly shows in more garbage roadside and a park recently built less maintained and in my experience is a indication (at least in this part of the world ) that there are less visitors and business not exactly are blooming
I agree. If a town or city is not growing then it's probably declining. There's no such thing as a status quo where everything in an urban conurbation stays exactly the same. HH should (needs to) grow. It's only the 'it's not the same as it was' brigade that object, and I do understand their viewpoint also, but everything changes, and bad comes along with good. :D
oakdale160
Rock Star
Rock Star

Post by oakdale160 »

True 404, but in any well-run community, growth is planned, areas are zoned for one use or another, Infrastructure is pre-planned etc--- does that happen in Thai--stop laughing while I am typing.
handdrummer
Addict
Addict

Post by handdrummer »

404cameljockey wrote: Thu Feb 01, 2018 9:56 am
handdrummer wrote: Mon Jan 29, 2018 1:17 am

Er, it seems you do.

Online Cambridge dictionary: a very strong wish to continuously get more of something, especially food or money.

I'm fine with my definition thanks.

In any case by nitpicking you let my point slip completely over your head. Nice.
I got your point & I'm not sure that most inventions were brought about by greed. Need is the mother of invention. That invention may become useful to many people and will end up in production to fill that need but it's not necessarily based on greed.
HHTel
Hero
Hero

Post by HHTel »

Need is the mother of invention.
Necessity is the mother of invention.

Same,same but different..... lol