Very quiet in Hua Hin

Hua Hin general discussion, observations and chat. Hua Hin topics that don't really fit anywhere else.
404cameljockey
Ace
Ace

Re: Very quiet in Hua Hin

Post by 404cameljockey »

handdrummer wrote: Thu Feb 01, 2018 1:51 pm
404cameljockey wrote: Thu Feb 01, 2018 9:56 am
handdrummer wrote: Mon Jan 29, 2018 1:17 am

Greed: Intense and selfish desire. You don't get to pick your own definitions.
Er, it seems you do.

Online Cambridge dictionary: a very strong wish to continuously get more of something, especially food or money.

I'm fine with my definition thanks.

In any case by nitpicking you let my point slip completely over your head. Nice.
I got your point & I'm not sure that most inventions were brought about by greed. Need is the mother of invention. That invention may become useful to many people and will end up in production to fill that need but it's not necessarily based on greed.
I agree not necessarily, of course, and I definitely didn't say 'most' inventions. But so much invention nowadays is driven by research of large companies and there is an almost inescapable conclusion by many people nowadays that big business embodies greed. Companies are supposed to 'grow or die'. So, is it greed?

There are naturally individuals who are drive by curiosity or a wish for reputation that leads them to invent. But once a business has been established, if it then starts becoming huge and/or branching out into other sectors, is that greed? Richard Branson's airline, etc. James Dyson's doomed washing machine, maybe? Hard to say if one is greedy (out for excessive personal gain) and the other not, or whatever. I can't tell their motives I suppose. :)
handdrummer
Addict
Addict

Post by handdrummer »

Your last sentence sums it up.
404cameljockey
Ace
Ace

Post by 404cameljockey »

handdrummer wrote: Fri Feb 02, 2018 4:22 am Your last sentence sums it up.
Does not in the tiniest way mean I'm wrong though.

Last thought:
"The case for greed was perhaps best made over 200 years ago by Adam Smith, who argued that the invisible hand of market forces would ensure that the efforts of individuals acting in pursuit of their own self-interest made society as a whole better off. In other words, judge capitalism not by the motives of the capitalists but by its fruit." - The Economist
buksida

Post by buksida »

WTF any of this has to do with Hua Hin being devoid of tourists this year is beyond me.
Who is the happier man, he who has braved the storm of life and lived or he who has stayed securely on shore and merely existed? - Hunter S Thompson
oakdale160
Rock Star
Rock Star

Post by oakdale160 »

Well said Buksida, Any other observations ON SUBJECT anybody?
Big Boy

Post by Big Boy »

In my small bubble, which does not include Binthablock, I don't think it is at all quiet. The idiot motorcyclist fraternity has returned to Hua Hin's roads, and tourists are walking 6 a breast along busy roads. Restaurants I've used have been busy. I rarely drink, so can't comment on bars. I don't stay in Hua Hin hotels, so have no idea of occupancy rates.

Roll on May - we get our town back.

[Edit] I guess while the number of hotels, bars and restaurants continue to open at high speed, the tourist footprint has to become more widespread giving the illusion of not so many visitors. Despite the predictions of Soi 88/94 burnout, I can see no hint of it.
Championship Plymouth Argyle 0 - 1 Preston NE :cry: :cry: :cry: :cry:

Points 41; Position 18
lomuamart

Post by lomuamart »

May?
You could be right but I've always thought the tourist season was drawing to a close during March over the past few years.
oakdale160
Rock Star
Rock Star

Post by oakdale160 »

as soon as April comes the scandis rush back io scandiland, not sure why, spring doesn't come there until May. Flights to Stockholm, Copenhagen etc are booked solid the first week of April 6 months before the date.
HHTel
Hero
Hero

Post by HHTel »

April often accounts for Easter (early this year, Easter Sunday is 1st April) and that along with Songkran usually takes the tourist traffic to the middle/3rd week. Then it dies!
Big Boy

Post by Big Boy »

lomuamart wrote: Fri Feb 02, 2018 10:58 am May?
You could be right but I've always thought the tourist season was drawing to a close during March over the past few years.
I was allowing for a spike around Songkran, but of course, that's only a couple of days here.

Points 41; Position 18
handdrummer
Addict
Addict

Post by handdrummer »

404cameljockey wrote: Fri Feb 02, 2018 8:21 am

Last thought:
"The case for greed was perhaps best made over 200 years ago by Adam Smith, who argued that the invisible hand of market forces would ensure that the efforts of individuals acting in pursuit of their own self-interest made society as a whole better off. In other words, judge capitalism not by the motives of the capitalists but by its fruit." - The Economist
Ok, you win, greed is good.
404cameljockey
Ace
Ace

Post by 404cameljockey »

handdrummer wrote: Fri Feb 02, 2018 1:27 pm
404cameljockey wrote: Fri Feb 02, 2018 8:21 am

Last thought:
Ok, you win, greed is good.
Mate, it's a debate, and as usual I think both sides are right in different ways! :D
Big Boy

Post by Big Boy »

It is a debate about the tourist situation in Hua Hin. If you wish to discuss greed, please do so in FOO. Further discussion on greed will be deleted.

Points 41; Position 18
Khundon1975
Rock Star
Rock Star

Post by Khundon1975 »

The wife’s family, have told us that their businesses are very busy, mainly with BKK Thais and some foreigners and have had to take on extra staff over the last 2 months.
Maybe some areas are quieter than others, but they haven’t seen a downturn in numbers yet.
I've lost my mind and I am making no effort to find it.
404cameljockey
Ace
Ace

Post by 404cameljockey »

Bluport immigration dealt with 200-250 tourist visa extensions just about every day this week.