Usual cheating at the till, Big C Hua Hin

This is the free for all area, live and unleashed, say what you like!
404cameljockey
Ace
Ace

Usual cheating at the till, Big C Hua Hin

Post by 404cameljockey »

Big C, Palau Road. Change comes to 11.75 Baht. She hands me 11.00 Baht. I say if you don't have change please get some or just give me 12.00 Baht. After half a minute of standing showing her the change in my hand she opens the same till and gives me the additional 0.75.

Cheating, pure and simple. At least the Indians in small Dubai marts barefacedly chuck a small pack of chewing gum at you in lieu. And I never accepted that either!
dtaai-maai
Hero
Hero

Re: Usual cheating at the till.

Post by dtaai-maai »

With that level of criminal profit, I'm surprised she's still working behind a till. You must be absolutely livid to be cheated out of 75 satang. 75! No excuse for such behaviour. :tsk:
This is the way
Big Boy

Post by Big Boy »

I know how cheated the OP feels. Last month's water bill was 89.96 - the cheating gits took 90 Baht. I couldn't sleep for a week :laugh:
Championship Plymouth Argyle 0 - 1 Preston NE :cry: :cry: :cry: :cry:

Points 41; Position 18
PBbeacher
Professional
Professional

Post by PBbeacher »

2 cents for 1 minute of your time....well done for calling her out.
laphanphon
Guru
Guru

Post by laphanphon »

Well glad it's ok for people to think as long it's a small amount, it's ok to steal. So what is the allowed limit ??? I can afford 100 or 1000 or 10,000 baht, so if someone steals that amount.........???

Maybe just one of my 4 tires is OK.

Damn, and here I've been raising my kid, stealing is wrong.
Big Boy

Re: Usual cheating at the till, Big C Hua Hin

Post by Big Boy »

It happens the world over, rounding up or down the smallest denomination. If Thailand had any sense, they'd scrap the 25 and 50 Satang coins anyway. I barely remember farthings, and the half penny - just evolution. I'm trying to remember the movie, but a guy made a fortune out of it in the movie.

Be honest, what do you do with your 25 and 50 Satang coins? I've seen many Farangs refuse them, and those that don't often drop them on the floor, littering the place (Mrs BB always picks them up :oops: ).

Mrs BB saves ours, and every couple of months takes them back to the shop, and exchanges them for real money, usually at Tesco.

Points 41; Position 18
Vital Spark
Legend
Legend

Post by Vital Spark »

Do Tesco like them? I really dislike the stupid little coins and over the years have managed to collect quite a few. I had an hour or two to waste the other day and sellotaped them in to little piles of 5 baht and 10 baht. A grand total of 175 baht. Will I appear like a cheap charlie if I offer them in Tescos, or shall I just donate them to the garland seller at the traffic lights? Dilemma time... :?

VS
"Properly trained, man can be a dog's best friend"
handdrummer
Addict
Addict

Post by handdrummer »

"if Thailand had any sense" 5555555555555555555555555555555555555555555555
oakdale160
Rock Star
Rock Star

Post by oakdale160 »

canada did away with the penny 1c,= 25satang a few years ago. It cost more than a penny to make a penny coin, so now we round up to nearest five cents. No objections.
oakdale160
Rock Star
Rock Star

Post by oakdale160 »

canada did away with the penny 1c,= 25satang a few years ago. It cost more than a penny to make a penny coin, so now we round up to nearest five cents. 8-9-0-1-2 pay 0 3-4-5-6-7, pay 5, No objections.
Big Boy

Post by Big Boy »

Vital Spark wrote: Mon May 07, 2018 11:32 pm Do Tesco like them? I really dislike the stupid little coins and over the years have managed to collect quite a few. I had an hour or two to waste the other day and sellotaped them in to little piles of 5 baht and 10 baht. A grand total of 175 baht. Will I appear like a cheap charlie if I offer them in Tescos, or shall I just donate them to the garland seller at the traffic lights? Dilemma time... :?

VS
Tesco Hua Hin will definitely take them. They used to have a notice at the customer services desk (not sure if it's still there) requesting people take them. They need a lot of them.

Mrs BB also saves other loose change, and exchanges it at Tesco or Makro periodically.

Just think of the turnover of customers in these shops, loose change is a problem, and they need all that they can get. If they run low, a situation as demonstrated in the OP can happen. She hands her money in at the desk on the way in, does her shopping/pays for it, then collects her crisp new banknotes on the way out.

Points 41; Position 18
404cameljockey
Ace
Ace

Post by 404cameljockey »

laphanphon wrote: Mon May 07, 2018 9:29 pm Well glad it's ok for people to think as long it's a small amount, it's ok to steal. So what is the allowed limit ??? I can afford 100 or 1000 or 10,000 baht, so if someone steals that amount.........???

Maybe just one of my 4 tires is OK.

Damn, and here I've been raising my kid, stealing is wrong.
Completely correct attitude. It's a great shame that people lose the moral idea that stealing is wrong, whether it's a penny or a million. The world nowadays has lost its way, in that most people now believe that it's not the good behaviour that the world needs, but only talk about culpability in terms of the amount of money or the size of the crime. Don't say TIT, it's not the point. I fight for strangers too, not just myself. I understand that in Thailand that can get you into a lot of trouble, but it even got me almost killed in the UK though, so....

Call me a dumb moral crusader if you want, say Messiah Complex even (as a joke) but don't be so stupid as to believe that I'm hurt by the loss of 0.75 Baht. Maybe they only do it to 'rich' farang, but somehow I think it's store policy across the board. All profit for them; on small margins it makes a difference to their results. Almost 1 Baht extra on a small grocery bill where they might only make 20 is 5 percent more profit. Stealing.

PS - I rescue small insects from my home too; it's just most humans I can't abide.
404cameljockey
Ace
Ace

Post by 404cameljockey »

Big Boy wrote: Tue May 08, 2018 6:34 amIf they run low, a situation as demonstrated in the OP can happen. She hands her money in at the desk on the way in, does her shopping/pays for it, then collects her crisp new banknotes on the way out.
I suppose my main point was that this was not how it happened. She had plenty of small coins in the till when she reopened it and gave me the correct change. So the intent was only to keep the money.

I also can't stand the things, and I guess that's what they rely on. I usually tip them to a petrol pump attendant with a couple of larger coins or put them all in the tips box at baguette or somewhere.
STEVE G
Hero
Hero

Post by STEVE G »

It's a great shame that people lose the moral idea that stealing is wrong, whether it's a penny or a million. The world nowadays has lost its way, in that most people now believe that it's not the good behaviour that the world needs, but only talk about culpability in terms of the amount of money or the size of the crime.
Is it a crime though or just laziness in not being bothered to deal with these trivial coins.
Henry 14th
Guru
Guru

Post by Henry 14th »

STEVE G wrote:
It's a great shame that people lose the moral idea that stealing is wrong, whether it's a penny or a million. The world nowadays has lost its way, in that most people now believe that it's not the good behaviour that the world needs, but only talk about culpability in terms of the amount of money or the size of the crime.
Is it a crime though or just laziness in not being bothered to deal with these trivial coins.
I personally think this is why it’s all about. Laziness.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk