Usual cheating at the till, Big C Hua Hin

This is the free for all area, live and unleashed, say what you like!
europtimiste
Banned
Banned

Re: Usual cheating at the till, Big C Hua Hin

Post by europtimiste »

StevePIraq wrote: Sun May 13, 2018 4:06 pm Overall this is nothing compared to the short change given in bars, where the girls first of all give less change than you are due, then they have the gall to expect a tip.
This happens in some bars, not all.
Many tourists never check their bills and most of them calculate in their own currency, so that everything seems very cheap.
I saw some tourists leaving a 500 Bhat note for a bill of 380 Bhat.
StevePIraq
Rock Star
Rock Star

Post by StevePIraq »

In my local area, which is not a tourist area every single bar has done it to long term customers.
"Live everyday as if it were your last because someday you're going to be right." Muhammad Ali
europtimiste
Banned
Banned

Post by europtimiste »

StevePIraq wrote: Sun May 13, 2018 5:22 pm In my local area, which is not a tourist area every single bar has done it to long term customers.
Who are the owners or sponsors ? Farangs or a Thais ?
StevePIraq
Rock Star
Rock Star

Post by StevePIraq »

Thai and Farang, I have complained and in two I was simply told if you don't like you don't have to come here, so I don't.
But this is off topic, just wanted to highlight the problem is everywhere
"Live everyday as if it were your last because someday you're going to be right." Muhammad Ali
laphanphon
Guru
Guru

Post by laphanphon »

Yes, besides the petrol station, next up would be the check bin, especially at bars. When sipping, I always pay on arrival, every beverage. Eliminates 'errors'.
europtimiste
Banned
Banned

Post by europtimiste »

StevePIraq wrote: Sun May 13, 2018 5:30 pm Thai and Farang, I have complained and in two I was simply told if you don't like you don't have to come here, so I don't.
[/qu

A useful highlight would be to name those places.
StevePIraq
Rock Star
Rock Star

Post by StevePIraq »

europtimiste wrote: Sun May 13, 2018 5:53 pm
StevePIraq wrote: Sun May 13, 2018 5:30 pm Thai and Farang, I have complained and in two I was simply told if you don't like you don't have to come here, so I don't.
[/qu

A useful highlight would be to name those places.
Naming can get one in big trouble in Ting Tong Land so I will not be doing so. The practice is so widespread that one hardly needs to single out a few places.
Pleng
Legend
Legend

Post by Pleng »

Takiap wrote: Fri May 11, 2018 10:14 am I can't actually recall ever being given the wrong amount of change in Thailand, other than at a few Mom and Pop shops. Of course, it is always an innocent mistake, but it does intrigue me as to how these innocent mistakes never result in me being handed too much change. It only ever in the shop owner's favor. :laugh::
It must be only me then that ever sees mistakes in my favour. I've lost count of the amount of times I've had to send bills back because they've forgotten to add a drink or snack that was ordered at some point in the evening.

Yes, it happens in the other direction too; drinks and food items appearing that I didn't order but it's always resolved when challenged.

Still... the tone and title of this topic is rather dramatic considering the values involved.
laphanphon
Guru
Guru

Post by laphanphon »

Yes, more times than I can count on my fingers, had to return change, or adjust check bill, as something missing.
Big Boy

Post by Big Boy »

I think that is down to the system rather than deliberate. I only go to one bar to drink. When I go, there are usually several groups of us sat at the same table, with separate bills. We order food and drinks fairly rapidly, and it must be a pig for the server keeping up with who is on who's bill. We've learnt, and now keep our own record of what we've had. Mistakes are often, but usually because its on the wrong bill. Usually just the right items on the wrong person's bill - I don't think anything malicious, just genuine mistakes. Always easily resolved.
Championship Plymouth Argyle 0 - 1 Preston NE :cry: :cry: :cry: :cry:

Points 41; Position 18
StevePIraq
Rock Star
Rock Star

Post by StevePIraq »

Agreed but this is because Ting Tong Land still relies on staff who speak little English and use bits of paper to record orders, often only writing it down after they have delivered the order.
If they wont develop it is their loss if they undercharge.
404cameljockey
Ace
Ace

Post by 404cameljockey »

Pleng wrote: Wed May 16, 2018 11:44 am
Takiap wrote: Fri May 11, 2018 10:14 am I can't actually recall ever being given the wrong amount of change in Thailand, other than at a few Mom and Pop shops. Of course, it is always an innocent mistake, but it does intrigue me as to how these innocent mistakes never result in me being handed too much change. It only ever in the shop owner's favor. :laugh::
It must be only me then that ever sees mistakes in my favour. I've lost count of the amount of times I've had to send bills back because they've forgotten to add a drink or snack that was ordered at some point in the evening.

Yes, it happens in the other direction too; drinks and food items appearing that I didn't order but it's always resolved when challenged.

Still... the tone and title of this topic is rather dramatic considering the values involved.
I've already been called sanctimonious here (which implies hypocrisy, so in fact that's b*ll*cks), your criticism hardly tops that. :D
Showing too good an example nowadays is frowned on.

But as to the topic, some have agreed it's about a moral principal, some have agreed that stealing a little but a lot of times is actually profiteering by the seller that should not go unremarked, and others say 'pffft, why will you miss 0.75 Baht, who cares?' This says a lot about people.

+++

"I do not hold the same interruption [sic] of this Commandment. The Commandment “Thou shall not steal” does not place a monetary amount on it. If the Commandment read “Thou shall not steal anything under $100 and everything over was grave” that would be one thing. The Commandment does not say that. It is the intent/knowledge/willingness to commit the act that matters.

Stealing is stealing is grave matter under the guidelines set forth by the Catholic Church."
https://forums.catholic.com/t/is-steali ... n/293685/4

I'm not religious (I say it so as not to be accused of hypocrisy) but morality is very much imbibed by us from the sources handed to us in our childhood, be it school, religion or parents. After that I believe it's usually only fine tuning.

Anyway, each to their own. A penny or a pound, I got the discussion I wanted, and the results I thought I might. :laugh:

Happy weekend, people!
caller
Hero
Hero

Post by caller »

404cameljockey wrote: Fri May 18, 2018 5:00 pm I've already been called sanctimonious here (which implies hypocrisy, so in fact that's b*ll*cks)
That was me, having a bit of fun and I wasn't thinking hypocrisy at all, which seems completely irrelevant in this context.

It was more about having an over-zealous sense of virtuousness or morality because of the stance you took, as derived from your posts, bravely standing up for all the farangs in Hua Hin, as you did battle with the nefarious cashiers in BigC over, erm, a few satang. :D

(still kidding)
Talk is cheap
404cameljockey
Ace
Ace

Post by 404cameljockey »

caller wrote: Fri May 18, 2018 10:56 pm
404cameljockey wrote: Fri May 18, 2018 5:00 pm I've already been called sanctimonious here (which implies hypocrisy, so in fact that's b*ll*cks)
That was me, having a bit of fun and I wasn't thinking hypocrisy at all, which seems completely irrelevant in this context.

It was more about having an over-zealous sense of virtuousness or morality because of the stance you took, as derived from your posts, bravely standing up for all the farangs in Hua Hin, as you did battle with the nefarious cashiers in BigC over, erm, a few satang. :D

(still kidding)
Sorry if I overreacted. I did like the Carry On reference.

Sanctimony does imply hypocrisy. Check the definition. Anyway never mind.

I have no idea where you got the thought I'm a caped crusader for farang? This goes on everywhere and against everyone, not just white faces as targets!

And as a last thought, you still balance the size of the crime against the fact that's its plain wrong. I don't think my OP sounded outraged, incensed or indignant. I didn't make out I was 'doing battle'. Just bored of being taken advantage of once again! As we all are in our daily lives. Some accept it, I prefer to make a quiet but insistent point.

:cheers:
caller
Hero
Hero

Post by caller »

404cameljockey wrote: Sat May 19, 2018 9:17 pm Sanctimony does imply hypocrisy. Check the definition. Anyway never mind.
No, no, no and no. Not in the context used. It's there if you look hard enough.
Talk is cheap