Usual cheating at the till, Big C Hua Hin

This is the free for all area, live and unleashed, say what you like!
handdrummer
Addict
Addict

Re: Usual cheating at the till, Big C Hua Hin

Post by handdrummer »

There must be some way to end this non-conversation.
404cameljockey
Ace
Ace

Post by 404cameljockey »

Yes accepting that just about every definition of sanctimony you can find infers falseness/hypocrisy. Anyway, I have finished now.

PS - non-conversation; interesting non-concept.
caller
Hero
Hero

Post by caller »

404cameljockey wrote: Sun May 20, 2018 7:04 am Yes accepting that just about every definition of sanctimony you can find infers falseness/hypocrisy. Anyway, I have finished now.
Sanctimony is derived from Latin and means virtuousness. However, it has been adapted and is now said about someone who believes they are morally superior. Or in layman's terms, being a smug bastard! I have heard it said about me, I can't think why? :D I did say to think about the context. Many words have more that one meaning, depending on how the word is used.

Bye.
Talk is cheap
404cameljockey
Ace
Ace

Post by 404cameljockey »

:mrgreen:
europtimiste
Banned
Banned

Post by europtimiste »

handdrummer wrote: Sat May 19, 2018 10:23 pm There must be some way to end this non-conversation.
Pathetic, more than 70 posts for 25 satang.
redzonerocker
Rock Star
Rock Star

Post by redzonerocker »

europtimiste wrote: Sun May 20, 2018 6:31 pm
handdrummer wrote: Sat May 19, 2018 10:23 pm There must be some way to end this non-conversation.
Pathetic, more than 70 posts for 25 satang.
. . . . . and you contributed a few of them :wink: :mrgreen:
Remember, no one can make you feel inferior without your consent.
dtaai-maai
Hero
Hero

Post by dtaai-maai »

europtimiste wrote: Sun May 20, 2018 6:31 pm Pathetic, more than 70 posts for 25 satang.
Not entirely accurate, one or two were sanctimonious, quite a few were about the meaning of 'sanctimonious' (which of course does not mean hypocritical :wink: ), a few were about nothing at all, and all of yours were the sort of negative crap we have come to expect.

Overall a fairly entertaining few pages, although a tad more controversy would have made the thread more interesting.
This is the way
redzonerocker
Rock Star
Rock Star

Post by redzonerocker »

:laugh: I can sense an upcoming response of 'infamy, infamy, they've got it infamy' :laugh:
Remember, no one can make you feel inferior without your consent.
404cameljockey
Ace
Ace

Post by 404cameljockey »

Guys....

Sanctimony definition, pretended, affected, or hypocritical religious devotion, righteousness, etc.

Noun. sanctimony (countable and uncountable, plural sanctimonies) A hypocritical form of excessive piety, considered to be an affectation merely for public show.

Definition of sanctimony. plural sanctimonies. 1 obsolete : holiness. 2 : affected or hypocritical holiness.

Sanctimony definition: affected piety or righteousness; religious hypocrisy.

n. the quality of being hypocritically devout
Synonyms:
sanctimoniousness
Type of:
hypocrisy
insincerity by virtue of pretending to have qualities or beliefs that you do not really have.

Enough already?...

Goodnight ;)
dtaai-maai
Hero
Hero

Post by dtaai-maai »

redzonerocker wrote: Sun May 20, 2018 9:52 pm :laugh: I can sense an upcoming response of 'infamy, infamy, they've got it infamy' :laugh:
Didn't take long!
404cameljockey wrote: Sun May 20, 2018 7:04 am Anyway, I have finished now.
This thread has developed an interesting tangent. How many different ways can you say "I will no longer participate in this conversation"?
caller wrote: Sat May 19, 2018 9:55 pm
404cameljockey wrote: Sat May 19, 2018 9:17 pm Sanctimony does imply hypocrisy. Check the definition. Anyway never mind.
No, no, no and no. Not in the context used. It's there if you look hard enough.
Yes, context is all.

The hypocrisy angle is misleading - it's a qualifier, not the central issue. In other words, being sanctimonious might well involve being hypocritical if you are doing it on purpose. I don't think that applies in your case...

You seem to have left "self-righteous" and "holier-than-thou" out of your list of definitions, can't think why! :cheers:
This is the way
centermid7
Banned
Banned

Post by centermid7 »

This is a Special Olympics argument . . .
dtaai-maai
Hero
Hero

Post by dtaai-maai »

I had to google it. It's an offensive (and unoriginal) analogy. Not offensive to me, but to those with intellectual disabilities. "Even if you win, you're still retarded."

Still, if you find it amusing...
This is the way
404cameljockey
Ace
Ace

Post by 404cameljockey »

dtaai-maai wrote: Mon May 21, 2018 12:01 am
redzonerocker wrote: Sun May 20, 2018 9:52 pm
404cameljockey wrote: Sun May 20, 2018 7:04 am Anyway, I have finished now.
This thread has developed an interesting tangent. How many different ways can you say "I will no longer participate in this conversation"?
Yes, I had finished talking with caller. I'd forgotten about the bandwagon! Of course I can play whack-a-mole all day and all night.
caller wrote: Sat May 19, 2018 9:55 pm No, no, no and no. Not in the context used. It's there if you look hard enough.
Yes, context is all.
I didn't cherry pick definitions of sanctimony, I typed every one that appeared in my online search. Every one contained the inference of hypocrisy. This is the definition of sanctimony in the modern day. If you and caller want to believe that that you can say black means grey because of the context you said it in, go right ahead. English is being mangled at a fast enough rate already for it to make little difference, just not usually by Brits!

I certainly accept that caller was not insulting me (apart from calling me preachy, no worry), as he didn't understand the full meaning of the word, and as I said the Carry On reference made me smile. I miss Sid the most.
You seem to have left "self-righteous" and "holier-than-thou" out of your list of definitions, can't think why! :cheers:
The context I want to read 'self-righteous' in is: "I am right!" I'll take that...

Me, outraged:

:cheers:
caller
Hero
Hero

Post by caller »

404cameljockey wrote: Mon May 21, 2018 8:25 amI certainly accept that caller was not insulting me (apart from calling me preachy, no worry), as he didn't understand the full meaning of the word
Boy are you dim. Frontal lobotomy?
Talk is cheap
handdrummer
Addict
Addict

Post by handdrummer »

ZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZ